Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Stubs **Dlux axle** superlite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #101
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Stubs **Dlux axle** superlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I think a wider wheel will help for sure, I still think a Rover foam is too stiff in a Rover, at least one with decent tread. Maybe my fix would be to find a better worn out pair?

When I ran my Rovers on a 1" wheel it was barely tolerable. On a .9" wide it was a nightmare! I think thats why I am digging the Sedonas so much, the Rover foam in those are absolutely perfect!

Ryan, do you know what CI single stage is like? I am wondering how the single stage foam he sells compares to a Rover. I am also wondering how a 5.0 inner and a soft outer would feel compared to a Rover foam. I dont have any 5.0 inners, guess I need to try some?
Since I have your guy's attention... let's figure it out. I'll send you foams, you guys do the public review, and hopefully the entire comp community will benefit. Send me an email Erik and I'll send you some foams to test.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #102
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364837927.363065.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  47.8 KB

Ya'll know we only play to win...

Big box of foams with several proto's for you to try Erik. These are your kick ass axle designs Erik, who better to test and find the sweet foam combo that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark

Big box of foams with several proto's for you to try Erik. These are your kick ass axle designs Erik, who better to test and find the sweet foam combo that works.
Only if he is testing nicely worn Sedonas
vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Pictures do not do these axles justice. I got to molest them a bit yesterday, and watch them in action. My decision was made shortly after the comp ended when I broke some stuff messing around.

Get mine to me soon Erik, I'll be the 1st to order!

Last edited by DickyT; 04-01-2013 at 01:04 PM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #105
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Wow! Sweet! Thanks Eddie!

I would be really excited if your foams work. I have been getting in a bad spot with foams lately, I just need softer. I could easily cut foams but I am really weird about them. I need my foams to be perfect. The thought of having a tiny bump in my foam in just one spot does not work for me. I need a perfectly wide and round foam. I think you are by far our best bet!

I have been trying to get my Rovers to work, if they work with your foams I will be really stoked.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #106
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Attachment 232704

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey! Erik has is own thread to give stuff in
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #107
RCC Addict

I don't know about all this foam business? I just put 1" spreaders in my wheels with 5.0"/soft front and 5.25/soft rear and crap they are soft. The 0.5" wheel really did mess everything up. With the extra 12oz I just put on the front they might be to soft now. Ugh

I am going to go test it out and I think I'm going to end up at 5.25/soft front and 5.5/soft rear? I really liked the 5.5/soft front and rear in my bully when it was at 4lb even. But when it was 4lb even the weight bias was way different.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #108
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Hey! Erik has is own thread to give stuff in
Sometimes I wish there was a "dislike" button.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Stubs, i crawled today with some rovers on some slw's, and with the extra ounce of weight i put up front, the rig weighed 3lbs 13oz and if felt great.

I Switched back to the plastic wheels with claws and a new foam setup, and at 3lbs 10oz it still felt great.

So take about half that knuckle weight off, get the foam worked out and i think you will be much happier.

Last edited by Harvo; 04-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #110
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't know about all this foam business? I just put 1" spreaders in my wheels with 5.0"/soft front and 5.25/soft rear and crap they are soft. The 0.5" wheel really did mess everything up. With the extra 12oz I just put on the front they might be to soft now. Ugh

I am going to go test it out and I think I'm going to end up at 5.25/soft front and 5.5/soft rear? I really liked the 5.5/soft front and rear in my bully when it was at 4lb even. But when it was 4lb even the weight bias was way different.

I hope more people read this thread and will begin to understand through the eyes of someone else why the narrow wheels don't work.

Please post a list of the inner and outer foams you currently have. I will then make some suggestions for you to test, based on what you currently have. I can then decide at that point what foam parts to send you to test and post in your thread.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Quote:
I hope more people read this thread and will begin to understand through the eyes of someone else why the narrow wheels don't work.

Please post a list of the inner and outer foams you currently have. I will then make some suggestions for you to test, based on what you currently have. I can then decide at that point what foam parts to send you to test and post in your thread.

I have 2 pair 5.5" with soft outers on them, 1pair 5.25" with med outers on and 1pair 5.0" with soft outer. All narrow inners.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Stubs, i crawled today with some rovers on some slw's, and with the extra ounce of weight i put up front, the rig weighed 3lbs 13oz and if felt great.

I Switched back to the plastic wheels with claws and a new foam setup, and at 3lbs 10oz it still felt great.

So take about half that knuckle weight off, get the foam worked out and i think you will be much happier.
That is where I think I'll end up. I like to test the extremes and work to a good middle ground. I also think the rear links are going to have to come back up a little with the weight? How much knuckle weight are you running at 3lb 13oz?

How do you like the boss claws? I have never ran a set but have been thinking about it lately. It seams it is the tire of choice for all the super light rigs?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Way to go Eddie! Once you've got a nice selection of the new foams in front of you to test out what works for you I'm sure you'll be on the right track
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #114
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have 2 pair 5.5" with soft outers on them, 1pair 5.25" with med outers on and 1pair 5.0" with soft outer. All narrow inners.
Front:
5.25 / Soft Outer

Rear:
5.0 / Med Outer narrowed to 2"

Another possibility would be to channel the 5.5 inner and stretch the 5.0 / 5.25 soft outer over it. The stretched soft outer won't be so sloppy and with the channel it should have plenty of forward bite.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #115
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
That is where I think I'll end up. I like to test the extremes and work to a good middle ground. I also think the rear links are going to have to come back up a little with the weight? How much knuckle weight are you running at 3lb 13oz?

How do you like the boss claws? I have never ran a set but have been thinking about it lately. It seams it is the tire of choice for all the super light rigs?
My rig felt pretty floppy when I ran the rear links all the way down at the axle and 2-3oz knuckle weight up front. It might be something that we can tune out with shock oils, but it would be just as easy to add some resistance to the suspension by messing with the roll centers.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #116
RCC Addict

Quote:
Front:
5.25 / Soft Outer

Rear:
5.0 / Med Outer narrowed to 2"

Another possibility would be to channel the 5.5 inner and stretch the 5.0 / 5.25 soft outer over it. The stretched soft outer won't be so sloppy and with the channel it should have plenty of forward bite.
I pulled all my CI foam out yesterday and was mixing it all up. I did put the small soft outer over the 5.5" inner and it fit good. I didn't put it in the tire. I will try that later today. I did put the 5.25's with a 5.5/6.0 outer in the rear. It feels smooth, like it didn't bunch up on there? It feels a little stiffer than the 5/5.25 soft and a little stiffer than the 5/5.25 medium.

I'll try your recommendation later today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
My rig felt pretty floppy when I ran the rear links all the way down at the axle and 2-3oz knuckle weight up front. It might be something that we can tune out with shock oils, but it would be just as easy to add some resistance to the suspension by messing with the roll centers.
I think my other problem is my Droid chassis doesn't have super low holes. So I can't lower the links far enough at the chassis to compensate for how low they are at the axle? I have 1" separation and the axle and 7/8" at the chassis.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think my other problem is my Droid chassis doesn't have super low holes. So I can't lower the links far enough at the chassis to compensate for how low they are at the axle? I have 1" separation and the axle and 7/8" at the chassis.
Clamp the plates together and drill new holes?
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #118
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
He should just get a Minimal instead. It has super low holes at the chassis

I can't find the pic of the sidepaltes, but here's a pic of the side panels which clearly (haha pun intended) the upper link positions.

**EDIT** Here's the pic

Last edited by TSK; 04-02-2013 at 04:28 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I don't think there is enough material?

So the 5.0"/soft was to soft for the front, especially with the extra 12oz up there! The rear was really good with the 5.25"/(5.5/6.0 soft outer). I got the fancy new rear link mount today so I should be able to dial in the rear geo now. I put the combo Eddie recommended in so I will test that out tomorrow. If I keep this much weight in the front I have a feeling I will be going back to the 5.5"/soft. I just can't get past the support it adds to the tire while still allowing for great forward bit.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Whoa In that pic, how did you get your rear links mounted that low? Could I see a close up of that? Is that with the new upper mount, because I haven't put it on yet.

Don't forget about the other axis as well. Putting in more triangulation or reducing it either at the chassis or the upper link mount changes things considerably too. These axles have much more triangulation than the stock berg cases provide. I had to work with that some because the extra traction from moving the uppers down was really stiffening up the suspension.

Last edited by Harvo; 04-02-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Stubs **Dlux axle** superlite - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axle stubs? jokers_toys Redcat Crawlers 5 11-18-2011 09:48 PM
CVD axle stubs are different???? RickM Team Losi Comp Crawler 3 08-13-2011 05:31 PM
Looking for axle stubs cartronicshn Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 08-11-2010 12:20 PM
Blakcfoot axle stubs scruff007 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 12-06-2006 01:24 PM