Notices

Thread: Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #821
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I was just reading through the RPP blog post on their Gom build, and at the end of their part 5 post they mentioned they were using a "prototype" roof rack the GearHead has worked up, and soon to be released.
quote from the blog "Sponsor stickers in place and ready to race! Notice we also installed a Gear Head R/C prototype roof rack and LED light bar specifically designed for the GOM buggy. These units will be available soon!"

https://rppblog.com/gmade-gom-rock-b...-build-part-5/

I though it was worth mentioning since there's not a lot of aftermarket support for the Gom as of yet.

Thanks GearHead!
Agreed... I hope it happens (aftermarket support). The platform can and does perform pretty well as it is, but I'd think with a bit of aftermarket support this platform can become outstanding.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #822
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Agreed... I hope it happens (aftermarket support). The platform can and does perform pretty well as it is, but I'd think with a bit of aftermarket support this platform can become outstanding.

Well don’t expect VP / Incision to help. Josh panned the GOM so they aren’t motivated. Junfac and GCM might be the only hope, I don’t think so. The new RTR version looks promising, with a single speed trans.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #823
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Well don’t expect VP / Incision to help. Josh panned the GOM so they aren’t motivated. Junfac and GCM might be the only hope, I don’t think so. The new RTR version looks promising, with a single speed trans.

Hang up and Drive
Yup, unfortunately... Need someone like SSD to take the first plunge in providing.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #824
I wanna be Dave

Sadly that’s why I dumped my R1.
Steering cvds and driveshaft failures, junfac didn’t work out, I was starting on some Traxxas drive axle mods before I folded it.
MIP could also be a player here

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #825
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildblue77 View Post
New set screws from Junfac....:-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I can confirm that the Junfac driveshaft rebuild kit J90131 does contain the same pivot/barrel with the set screw. So until Junfac releases this by itself this is another way to get this item, it is 4.49 for one so it is a bit steep for what you get.

It installs just the same minus the set screw, fits the main barrel and the drive pin.

Thanks for not letting up on Junfac thewildblue77

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-10-2018 at 08:59 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #826
Pebble Pounder

Tried to be a cool kid with a truck cab on his GOM. Windshield angle is way off on the beater Toyota cab.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
poohsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #827

New axle housing arrived today and didn't have the problem of the original one so I got to finally put 4WD on and properly try the car. Which resulted in both good and bad news.

I expected to only run on some driveways, but noticed that earlier in the day the snow is currently pretty good for driving on, the car didn't sink much. So I blasted around in the forest. Though prior to getting there I got a chuckle out of driving maybe 10km/h on some gravel that was frozen from below but not above, thus being ultragrippy with soft tires. So I applied moderate brake to stop the car and ended up somersaulting and ending up belly up. That's what ya get with too much traction and not enough rear weight

At the forest it was nice going. Didn't get permanently stuck at all during the run except the few times I rolled over. Spots where the sunlight came through were hazardous since they were softer than the rest. I blasted around on the "snow dunes", hit a few young trees, climbed a few rocks, tried to climb some snow walls. Fun times, and ended up with the car full of pine needles.

Took some video too but it's not very exciting, especially as driving one-handed isn't my forte.

Then the bad news. Well, looks I like put the front axle back together slightly wrong when I swapepd the axle housing... I put in the wrong and too long screw on long end of the axle truss. I only noticed this when I took the front axle apart again to check on the diff locker after run out of paranoia, and the longer drive shaft now has two grooves in it, the deeper one from the truss screw and apparently it pressed on the axle enough so that the two screws that go through the housing to the link holders also rubbed on it. I hope the shaft will still hold up with the grooves, as the deeper one took maybe 1,5mm off the diameter. The CVAs are coming but it'll take a couple of weeks.

But there's also a problem with the shorter drive shaft. The pin at the end has moved so that it's only maybe 1mm visible at one end, the rest being at the other end. Not sure why that happened, but it seems rather stuck like that, and couldn't budge the pin even with a hammer and I don't have any special tools for extracting/reinstalling dogbone pins. As such I'm not sure how I'll get it where it is supposed to be, naturally I can't really use it like that. I think even on the long shaft the pin is slightly longer on one side than the other, but at least it still grabs the wheel axle shaft on both sides.
tvih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #828
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsad View Post
Tried to be a cool kid with a truck cab on his GOM. Windshield angle is way off on the beater Toyota cab.
If you mounted a light bar there it would look intentional
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #829
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
If you mounted a light bar there it would look intentional
Pretending I knew what I was doing. Good idea.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
poohsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #830

Some video from today, only two hands and thus no zoom or anything, sadly:

https://youtu.be/k9v_JoUL9gU

Broke the front bumper part of the cage in one spot after slamming into a small tree twice. Hopefully I can repair it reasonably, the cage parts are rather expensive compared to other plastic spares. If you wanted all cage parts & panels and a new set of stock wheels/tires you'd pretty much be better off buying a full second kit at that point! I really hope some aftermarket provider comes up with a front bumper you can buy separately, having to buy a $28 set with the side cages in it if you need to replace just the front bumper is rather silly.

Last edited by tvih; 04-12-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #831
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosii View Post
Removed the gasket, that did the trick and now they spin freely and feels smooth as butter.
Awesome, thanks. I've been too busy to work on mine.
OzarkCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #832
I wanna be Dave

Cold weather will make for a much higher percentage of broken plastic... but, here's hoping someone helps out by making a bumper available on Shapeways or a metal one from one of our usual vendors!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #833
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Cold weather will make for a much higher percentage of broken plastic... but, here's hoping someone helps out by making a bumper available on Shapeways or a metal one from one of our usual vendors!

Just some/any after market support would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RcAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #834
Rock Stacker

I'm debating not finishing mine. This is my first build in over 20 years and I'm severely disappointed in lack of support and parts availability in the US. Guess I picked the wrong rig to return to the hobby with.
OzarkCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #835
Quarry Creeper

The thing is, its a great crawler. Out of all my rigs its my favourite. It looks great...just has a few issues.
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildblue77 View Post
The thing is, its a great crawler. Out of all my rigs its my favourite. It looks great...just has a few issues.
I agree with blue. I love mine. Was finally able to dial in my 2 speed. I even did a rear steer. I've bent both front and rear dog bones. But I have jumped mine quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
jaybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #837
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybob View Post
I agree with blue. I love mine. Was finally able to dial in my 2 speed. I even did a rear steer. I've bent both front and rear dog bones. But I have jumped mine quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Hey jaybob can you tell/show how you mounted the dual front shocks please?
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:49 AM   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkCrawler View Post
I'm debating not finishing mine. This is my first build in over 20 years and I'm severely disappointed in lack of support and parts availability in the US. Guess I picked the wrong rig to return to the hobby with.
Yeah, I can see the problem especially if/when it is your only car and can't get it going for those reasons. I have a lot of other things I can drive if the thing breaks - only one other crawler though - but even so I imagine I'll be bummed if something critical breaks to make it undriveable and I'll have to wait a minimum of two weeks to get parts! I'm of the rather impatient type with such things, I'm afraid.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #839
Quarry Creeper

Im the same, I hate waiting, I usually find I break something on the Saturday or Sunday, then find it outs of stock locally, so order from China and hope it makes it for the weekend. Though Ive slowly managed to build up some spares now so it isnt quite as bad...
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #840

I hate waiting for parts even when they're not for a car I'm about to drive! Psychological things can be so silly. Not really good to drive the GOM now with temps being up enough to make the snow too wet but still being slow to melt. So can't drive anything. In the meanwhile I don't seem to have a good spot for storing the GOM, my cars are all in the living room.

Tags
gmade, gom

Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Malin's new Gmade R1 Rock Buggy BentKa G-Made Crawlers 59 09-28-2012 06:30 PM