Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Everything HR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Everything HR

hey all. i would like to start a thread that is all about the hr axles and everything that deals with them. post up
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

lol wow nobody wants to post anything hr huh.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

What do you want people to talk about? Pretty much everything interchanges with berg parts, the C's are clocked slightly more than bergs, they are a little narrower than bergs and slightly lighter. The stock lockers and shafts are junk, the aluminum they are made from doesn't hold threads well, and they need a new upper link mount to replace the axial style ball pivot..

I run stock black berg lockers in mine, super 300's in the front, rc axle master shafts in the rear, VP axial hi-steer knuckles and made my own custom steering setup and upper link mounts.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default h/r

ok here we go black h/r axles with berg upper link mounts berg axles and axial stub shafts in rear soon to be ckrc 6mm rear kit when it gets here right now has fubar lockouts.front has berg upper link mounts modded ckrc tie rod custom servo mount 300 cvd's vanquish axial zero ackerman knuckles.both axles have berg lockers.electronics consist of jr z9100hv servo [480oz torque] fxr esc punk dig castle bec sr3100 rx dx3r radio.motors are jph 41t with 13t pinion in front 12t in rear.3.5" traxxas big bores with cap mod and external springs on shock rod.t1e rock show with battery skid downtown delrin front links t1e high clearance rears.tires are sedonas with proline stage 2 foams on narrowed .8 dh pro comps.i got rid of all the phillip head screws and replaced with allens.fat bat battery tray on rear.
Attached Images

Last edited by twisted bender; 05-16-2010 at 12:42 PM.
twisted bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

all i was wanting people to talk about was the hrs and there setups/ builds. we dont have a specific forum to talk on so i thought i would post one to talk about it was all.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
What do you want people to talk about? Pretty much everything interchanges with berg parts, the C's are clocked slightly more than bergs, they are a little narrower than bergs and slightly lighter. The stock lockers and shafts are junk, the aluminum they are made from doesn't hold threads well, and they need a new upper link mount to replace the axial style ball pivot..

I run stock black berg lockers in mine, super 300's in the front, rc axle master shafts in the rear, VP axial hi-steer knuckles and made my own custom steering setup and upper link mounts.
any pics of your steering set up? i need to revamp mine and need some ideas. thanx
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

As far as steering goes one option is to bolt on a set of berg tubes. Pretty much any berg steering set up will work.
ncalkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzz23 View Post
any pics of your steering set up? i need to revamp mine and need some ideas. thanx
No, but it was pretty simple. One side of the servo bolted to my link mount and the other side bolted to a bracket the went to the axle tube. This kept the servo decently low and behind the axle tube for protection. I ran this with normal steering in front of the axle and the VP knuckles. I plan to switch to an 86jeep style setup to get the servo a little lower and run BTA.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncalkrawler View Post
As far as steering goes one option is to bolt on a set of berg tubes. Pretty much any berg steering set up will work.
that is an option, but I want to keep the rig narrow, so putting on the berg tubes would kinda defeat the purpose.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default h/r 86jeep steering mod

finished my 86jeep steering mod today.boy what a difference.also installed ckrc's rear 6mm rear axle mod.heres some pics of the steering mod.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted bender View Post
finished my 86jeep steering mod today.boy what a difference.also installed ckrc's rear 6mm rear axle mod.heres some pics of the steering mod.
thats awesome but alot of work, i would be afraid to F things up
Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

looks really good but im not into that much work lol. does your servo get hung up/ hit by the rocks on the underside or do you have a guard you put on it?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
RCC Addict

and btw where are those springs pretty good cause id like to try some as long as ill get close to the same reaction out of them as i do my losi golds/ greys
Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default h/r steering

i tested the new set up today and it made a world of difference better center of gravity side hills and climbs drasticly improved plus the steering is awesome really getting all the advantages of 300's now.the springs work great they are out of a pack of springs at home depot .the servo does not hang low enough to catch it's even with bottom of tube and it has a skid.as far as work it was alot but not that difficult the hardest part was relocating motor.had to move it back a hair and rotate it.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

lookin good turned out nice. you used stainles 1/4 rod to make the steering links right?
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default h/r steering

changed to stainless 1/4 rod today.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I did the 86Jeep mod to my Bully axles and shaved a bit deep my self. One thing I did to cover the crack, was to put some plastic sack around the shaft, slide it back into the tube and put some JB weld over it. It's just enough to keep out debris. A screw drive would work too. Once it's dried, just pull it out and 86 the zip-lock part.

One thing you can do to protect the servo, is to get some Vinyl, or plastic, and use liquid electrical tape to secure it to the bottom. I made a 90* bend in mine and it fits between the axle tube and the servo. I just held it in place with a clamp for a few hrs.
Attached Images

Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default h/r steering

i used .040 lexan and a heat gun to build askid to protect motor and servo.these are super easy to make been making these for a while ive made them for bully's berg's and h/r's.as far as sealling i had no gaps between servo and axle tube so i just put a thin layer of rubber cement on the seems just to make sure no dust gets in.when doing this conversion you have to take more out of the case when using a airtronics or high voltage servo or just about any servo over 333oz torquedue to being a little larger than a standard servo.heres a couple pics of skid's.
Attached Images

Last edited by twisted bender; 05-21-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
RCC Addict

thats great stuff thanks for all the good info and pics. they really help us see what your talking about. if i had a decent enough camera and was computer savy i would take some pics of my rig and post it up. my steering setup is kinda like your with the servo mount except mine is on top of the axle and not in it. love it
Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

most recent pics of my rig that i could find from right before motorama