Notices

Thread: Knockoff Tamiya mountaineer coming soon on this May

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Knockoff Tamiya mountaineer coming soon on this May

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawback View Post
I personally dont find it that funny, "someone in japan" as in a full team, put allot of passion and probably thousands of hours in designing work, making molds / metal stamping for the original kit. Setting up the packaging just in box art and advertising alone costs hundreds of thousands to do correctly back then.

Coping a small rc dosent seem like a big deal, till your flying home from your vacation in a knock off Airbus and crash in flames.
In 1985...
That's 33 years ago for those that don't math.

If a company doesn't meet the demand for a product, others will step in and profit from their mistake.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I just checked and genuine Tamiya kits are still priced at $700. That's kits, meaning getting it detailed and ready to run with the right 4 channel radio system puts it in the neighborhood of $1000. A lot of money considering nostalgia is the main selling point, so there is certainly room for someone to offer a cheaper option.

The thing is, if I'm in the market for one these trucks I might still prefer the real thing even if these copies are available at less than half the cost. If the knock-off's quality isn't spot on, then that feeling of nostalgia is diluted and all you're left with is a shoddy replica of an already obsolete design. Not to mention you didn't get the pleasure of building it, which to me is a HUGE part of the appeal.

tl;dr- I'm intrigued, but I wouldn't personally consider one unless it was a PERFECT copy, and even then I would prefer a kit option.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

I will probably end up getting one. I always wanted the rerelease but I can't justify the price after converting to Canadian dollars.
markturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markturbo View Post
I will probably end up getting one. I always wanted the rerelease but I can't justify the price after converting to Canadian dollars.

Exactly. Tamiya was from Japan( I like Tamiya since I was a kid ) but I don’t think they are made in Japan. reliable source from Taiwan rc forum, most of they parts were outsourced in China. Off cause I could be wrong.

If I had a chance( enough money and justify) I will buy Tamiya buggies.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Well i have a friend in China looking into it, he is getting it for me and sending it, lets see how this plays out, around 4 weeks for me to get it.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #26
RCC Addict

I'm still kinda new to this, so I'm mystified how they managed 4WD in low and 2WD in mid and high gear...?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Well i have a friend in China looking into it, he is getting it for me and sending it, lets see how this plays out, around 4 weeks for me to get it.
Interested in seeing this.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I'm still kinda new to this, so I'm mystified how they managed 4WD in low and 2WD in mid and high gear...?
It's a selectable 3 speed transmission with 3 different gear ratios and 2 different drive dogs that slide back and forth to engage the selected gear ratio. The gears are spaced appropriately so that a 3 position switch will correctly engage only 1 gear ratio. The main trans output is connected to the rear driveshaft and always spins while the front driveshaft is connected to the transfer case. The transfer case is only engaged when selected into 1st gear. See crude image below.
Attached Images

calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Nice little bit of engineering there.

Thanks for the enlightenment!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Ok so when can place our orders with you then?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Post Re: Knockoff Tamiya mountaineer coming soon on this May

Just get one of these instead, they are genuine Tamiya products not a knockoff.. Custom Crawlerz Vendor has 5 available right now that they can get..

You can special order them through Custom Crawlerz here.. We may be able to drop ship them to you as well, but that may be an extra price.
Yes, these are the same chassis as the Tamiya F350 High-Lift..
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by markturbo View Post
Ok so when can place our orders with you then?
Hey, let me get mine first, i will give you guys a fair review, i will compare the quality to my og hilux (i know its a bruiser copy) and if it checks out i will sure let you know. I am definetly not selling anything through here btw, i am not a vendor.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1sstang View Post
Just get one of these instead, they are genuine Tamiya products not a knockoff.. Custom Crawlerz Vendor has 5 available right now that they can get..

You can special order them through Custom Crawlerz here.. We may be able to drop ship them to you as well, but that may be an extra price.
Yes, these are the same chassis as the Tamiya F350 High-Lift..
Why it the hell would you want to pay double the price so you can say its the real thing.

Hell if its about money Ill buy 2 and give one to some random kid in need.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Knockoff Tamiya mountaineer coming soon on this May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Why it the hell would you want to pay double the price so you can say its the real thing.

Hell if its about money Ill buy 2 and give one to some random kid in need.
No one is obligated to buy one or the other, but the quality will suffer greatly. Go buy a "toolshop" wrench and buy a "SnapOn" wrench of the same size.. One will be far more expensive and the other one dirt cheap.. Compare them, and you will see and feel the difference. You pay for what you get, and you get what you pay for.
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
No one is obligated to buy one or the other, but the quality will suffer greatly. Go buy a "toolshop" wrench and buy a "SnapOn" wrench of the same size.. One will be far more expensive and the other one dirt cheap.. Compare them, and you will see and feel the difference. You pay for what you get, and you get what you pay for.

I love guys like you. Its why a take $300.00 in fishing rods parts, turn around and sell it for $1,100 with 8 hours of labor.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
My issue is that you are recommending buying an entirely different truck. The high lift is quite different from the Bruiser / mountaineer (original or copy). Why not just recommend that people buy a TF2 for that matter?

Many people, like myself, have wanted one since childhood, but can't justify spending so much on a kit, especially one they actually want to run, modify and not display.

The best deal I can find is $700 CDN for a rere Bruiser kit at one of my LHS - and I would likely be afraid to really drive it.

I can get a Highlift kit for $400 CDN at another LHS, but I feel that although they are cool, they are far from scale realistic, and just don't captivate my interest the same way.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Is it out yet??????????
Old 05-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

yes, i am making all type of concessions as shipping an rtr out of china with a batteries is a no-no apparently, so i am asking to send everything but the battery, hopefully this flies(pun intended) and they can ship via air the car.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #39
Custom Carbon Fiber

Ive owned 4 originals in the 30+ years Ive been in this hobby and would love to have another officially stamped one from the 80's.

The re-production is still a great truck, I dont really like the axles as much but at least Tamiya didnt go for a whole new truck with the same name.

The shit that bothers me about this truck is

A: Is a knock off. They are completley ripping the entire thing and people want to support them then complain about prices from the people who originally made it.

B: How many people are gonna buy these then turn and sell them as Tamiya Bruisers and profit off the knock off. This ripping crap just ****s the people looking for the real stuff and the rippers profit off those who dont care about supporting the originals.

C: Would I buy one ..... sure, but Im a Bruiser fan to the core so Ill buy the Tamiya to know I got the real thing.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

I am buying one because i am curious, i own an og hilux, and if the copy is a good piece then i will add it to my collection, i own many rc products in many brands, i don't feel i am doing anything wrong if i buy one and give a honest review on it.

Knockoff Tamiya mountaineer coming soon on this May - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mountaineer Seon97 Tamiya Bruiser 4 02-10-2018 05:36 PM
Tamiya Mountaineer dillon Chit Chat 1 08-15-2007 12:52 AM