Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
His motors are sick... My 180 is a beast.
I got the 80T Predator installed last night. I got a chance to run it for about a minute, and that minute was pretty damn impressive! The torque I saw from just the 80T Predator makes me fear for my drivetrain's life with the Stroker...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
RCC Addict

More progress with the Trekker lately. Despite the fact that I don't really care for scale rigs, I've started on a scale F150 truggy project. Lopped the bed and rockers off, cut and smoothed the fenders, and started capping the gaper left from the bed cut.

This is aimed at a TTC'ish build. Looks like 54s on duece and a halfs IMO...

Plans include a ID retracter winch, bed cage, sliders, LEDs, wideners (still...), and a few scale accessories.

Last edited by 89redranger; 03-18-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #23
I joined the Band!

looks good.. a bit futuristic looking to me...

cant wait to see more...

im new to the danally motors.. so you have a 80t and a stroker?
i just ordered a 90t and a stroker (not sure how many turns.. told Danally his call :P)
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
looks good.. a bit futuristic looking to me...

cant wait to see more...

im new to the danally motors.. so you have a 80t and a stroker?
i just ordered a 90t and a stroker (not sure how many turns.. told Danally his call :P)
I have the 80T, 90T, and an 80T Stroker. They've all been awesome motors so far, but I don't recommend running the stroker on the stock ESC/RX. I burnt mine up in one trigger pull.

How is it futuristic looking? Not arguing, just curious. I'm really shooting for the TTC look with this rig, and the stock axles and big tires work well. The fenders are cut clear to the headlights for tire clearance, and the tube work is yet to be done. I'll find a pic of a similar rig, though I haven't seen this newer body style chopped up yet.

^Obviously this is an F350, not a F150. They've narrowed the nose, which I'm not. You get the idea though. Basically, the front clip is cut clear forward so the axle can sit toward the nose. This means that you can keep big tires out of the fenders, doors, and firewall with minimal lift. If I had my way about it, I'd get the my body down even lower on my Trekker chassis. Any lower and I'd be building a new chassis though...
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
RCC Addict

More progress on the F150 Project. Got the bed done and mounted. Now I need to start the tube work and get it ready for LEDs. After the truck is wired for lighting I will start on the paintwork.

The hinge for the bed is simply part of the original radio tray cut in half. The bed is super-glued to the hinge temporarily. Eventually, the bed will have nice countersunk screws holding it on. Notice also, the tab at the front edge of the bed. Nothing more than a piece of styrene that slips under the back edge of the cab to hold the bed from flipping up. I'm not planning on a dump bed, just easier to get to the electronics and such.

Sorry about the picture quality! Using the webcam on the laptop is definitely the hard way!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
RCC Addict

No love for my Trekker project? Am I posted up in the wrong area or what?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

finish it?
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I like it a lot! Just be patient- not everyone visits this site everyday....
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
No love for my Trekker project? Am I posted up in the wrong area or what?
think were all really busy...

or it is the fact u took pics with an .... (ewwwww) iphone!!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
think were all really busy...

or it is the fact u took pics with an .... (ewwwww) iphone!!!!
Yeah, busy busy at work. Hazmat spills keep a person fairly busy.

Looks good, though....with the exception of the iPhone pics.

Where'd you score that body from?
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #31
RCC Addict

I don't think the smoked ESC was from the Stroker...MANY people are running the stock esc with no problems. I have a 40t stroker that has seen half a dozen packs through the stock esc...if anything was going to fry it the 40t would.

Sometimes it's just unknown why one burns up. I think this was just bad luck, not the norm
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry about the pic quality, btw. Pics were taken with the laptop web cam. My camera is DOA...

I got ALL the tube work done on the back today, have yet to get the rig wired for lights or do any paint work. I'll get a few current pics up in a bit. Currently babysitting and cooking dinner.

As far as the impatience, I was just starting to wander if anybody even got on here anymore.

Dan, I wasn't trying to make it sound like your motor was the cause of my ESC failure, it just happened to be while I was testing everything. I'm thinking it had a limited lifespan, and the Stroker was the straw that broke the camel's back. Like I said, it got so hot it bridged the positive wires solder pad with the FET right next to it, and burnt the hell out of the power wire. I'm no electrical guru, but bad things happened. In my face at that...

Last edited by 89redranger; 03-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Dan, I wasn't trying to make it sound like your motor was the cause of my ESC failure, it just happened to be while I was testing everything. I'm thinking it had a limited lifespan, and the Stroker was the straw that broke the camel's back. Like I said, it got so hot it bridged the positive wires solder pad with the FET right next to it, and burnt the hell out of the power wire. I'm no electrical guru, but bad things happened. In my face at that...
No problem. Just wanted to clarify that it is still a good pairing if all is in good order. I had one fry like that too but it was on a stock losi motor. I fealt like crying as I watched the esc smoke.

I ran a 40t today again for 2 full 400mah packs. I ran it so hard it broke 2 front drivelines and one rear. I also split my first tire!!! Gotta say these stupid things are just so much fun.

By the way, you pulled the Ford idea off perfecly. It just looks right.

And just in case no one has ever told you...smoking is bad for you

Last edited by DANALLY; 03-20-2013 at 09:16 PM.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Dan, my Momma always told me that, if nothing else, I could always be used as a bad example... Thanks for the compliments though buddy!

Tube work done! Still need wideners, wire it for LEDs, build the ID retracter winch setup, build some sliders, and paint it all. This project is progressing nicely, and I couldn't be happier.

On with the pics! Sorry, more webcam pics...

Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Coming along nicely
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Anybody know LEDs? I'm wanting to put 2 micro LEDs in the rear edge of the flat-bed, and the 5mm whites I already have for the front. I also have an Airhogs helicopter LiPo that I'm wanting to use to power them. The battery has shut-off and overcharge protection built in, can charge directly off a USB port, has a 200mAH 12C (2.4A) capacity, and is barely larger than two quarters stacked up.

If I wanted to run my four LEDs on this battery it will require two separate circuits. One for the red LEDs, and one for the white LEDs. This is due to the fact that each color of LED requires a different voltage. So, if I were to wire the whites and reds on separate circuits, how do I find the resistor value I need to knock the 4.2V down to the needed voltage? I already have a micro switch, wire, and the white LEDs and bezels. What resistors do I need, and where can I find the smallest red LEDs???
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

everything you will ever need to know about LEDs, powering them, and resistors is located here LEDs for Beginners
Mastah Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
everything you will ever need to know about LEDs, powering them, and resistors is located here LEDs for Beginners
Thanks for the link man. I didn't really end up getting a lot out of it, except a documented series of experiments with LEDs. I have ended up going back to the resistor calculator I posted once before, and I'm gonna have to make a trip to the Shack.

The resistors I need are a single 15 ohm 1/4 watt for the red circuit, and double 47 ohm 1/4 watts for the 5mm whites I'm running. I'm really looking forward to being able to charge the Heli LiPo for my lights with the USB cord, while the LiPo for the truck is charging on my Accucel. By the time I'm done I hope to have the lights, battery, and a charge port wired in to the body. If I have to remove the body, the whole light setup will go with it. Pop the LEDs out of there respective locations, and pull the body off.

Oh, I ought to have pics of the snorkel and exhaust up today as well. Using the same tube as the bed for both, and the exhaust will have a polished aluminum tip. If it weren't for camera troubles, I'd do up a little tutorial. I'm really loving working with styrene! So forgiving and easy to work with.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Today's progress. Sliders done and some fresh pics with a real camera!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #40
I joined the Band!

still space aged lookin to me.. but i like it.. and yeah the new camera is b1tchin!!!!!!!

Brian's Christmas Trekker Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting a slow Trekker Build Big_Mac Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 06-28-2012 02:45 PM
Brian's F150 Build (Pic HEAVY) mahgninnuc1 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-10-2012 01:04 AM
Trekker, My Build So Far... Crawl Wonder Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 98 07-31-2011 05:17 PM
Brian's Build up, PICS Brian, aka XJFanatic.com General Crawlers 7 12-20-2005 09:27 PM