Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

Lookin sweet

It needs some boggers or something.

Just a suggestion: maybe round out the front fenders??? I like the flat look...it's different which is appealing... but I just like the rounded open look too. Like I said, just an opinion.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Anybody got any ideas for a topper for the snorkel I just built? I have the tube mounted, and ready for paint. Need to build something to top the tube off with. Beings this truck is shooting for a TTC/Ultimate Adveture look, I'm thinking something kinda homebrew looking is in order.

What do you guys think? Air filter at the tip of the tube? ARB style little intake funnel facing forward at the top? Got any ideas for how to build a small filter that'd look real?

Also, any body got a cheap high torque servo they wanna donate? My servo has gotten to the point that it'll only turn the tires around 5 degrees now. The wallet says no-no to any purchases right now.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Snorkel done and winch is mounted and working! Bed, snorkel, propane tank, and sliders painted. I decided to leave the body work a little rough, as the abuse it will see will just kill nice paint. Only things left are some wideners, tires, and LEDs. The list is getting shorter, and the truck is looking better. A new stage of completion every day.

Enough babbling, on with the pics...

Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #44
RCC Addict

More pics from my posing session today. Need a servo bad. Up until now I had a little bit of steering, now it's done!

Last, but not least, here's the Navigator I'm building WITH my girlfriend. Sliders done and mocked up on MY Trekker. A stock Trekker build is in her VERY near future to rest this body on. Expect a winch, roof rack, spare carrier, snorkel, and exhaust. This will be our tow/recovery/family rig.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Finally got the propane tank mounted in the back, built a zip-tie Hi-Lift jack, knocked the lower screw mount off the axle housings and cleaned them up, and finished my 4mm longer rear links and got them covered in shrink tube. I should be able to get a few pics outside tomorrow. Unfortunately I still need tires, wheels, wideners, a servo, and my LEDs. BTW, the rig weighs a little over 14 ounces at this point. Billet bead locks and bigger RC4WD tires may necessitate a DANALLY big block. You still do the 130s buddy? I'm saving that stroker ya sent me for something special, and I think a 130 would be more than enough for this rig...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #46
RCC Addict

So, more news and no pics...

I got the DANALLY 80T Big Block Storker installed and tested last night. Jesus, what a beast! I was expecting a motor that would be twitchy and happy to break parts. Not the case at all. The bottom end that these larger cans provide was totally unexpected. While slower than the 90T Predator I had been running, the slow low end control is more than worth it. Gone are the days of trying to creep up a ledge and falling off due to the twitchy little motors. They always seem to stall momentarily when you need them, and then jump to life after losing traction, resulting in your rug falling off the ledge while the tires just spin.

As an added bonus, these motors are heavy enough that my weight bias moved WAY forward with the Stroker. Now, if only I had some real tires...

Pics to come.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Great truck man, yes get some tires and you'll be blown away. I love my mic laws but they're not scale. I also love the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
Great truck man, yes get some tires and you'll be blown away. I love my mic laws but they're not scale. I also love the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.
It's a toss-up for me. I can't go but maybe 3-4mm taller in height and around 5mm wider in tire width before they'll get into my fenders. I don't really want to raise the truck, so MiClaws are out of the question on this one.

At this point I'm debating RC4WDs Baja Claws, Boggers, and the Rok Loks. The Rok-Loks are about the size I need, but I like the Boggers and Claws a lot. I could fit them, it'd just be tight.

Anybody got experience with the Rok Loks wanna chime in?

Also, will stock rings fit the Hot Racing bead locks? I want a nice set of aluminum wheels, but don't want to sacrifice my BWD weights. If stock rings will fit, so will the BWD weights...
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

roxlox are a great tire i use them on my yota. also the baja claws do awesome on the rock as well.
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

If you did the Miclaws you would have to do the Danally wheel widening mod which helps with sidehilling. Are you trying to keep it scale?
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

I like the Roc Lox. It is the first after market tire I've tried but it seems good. I use the Hot Racing rim too. Here is a quick video.

Trail Driving - YouTube
LavaCapCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
If you did the Miclaws you would have to do the Danally wheel widening mod which helps with sidehilling. Are you trying to keep it scale?
Yeah, this one's gonna stay scale. I'm almost positive the Rok Loks will be more than appropriate. The DANALLY wheel mod would make this rig so wide it'd look cartoon-ish (if it doesn't already...). A tall set of Miclaws wouldn't help matters.

I'm thinking that the Hot Racing wheels, Rok Loks, and Lavacap wideners ought to take care of my needs.

I still need to find out if my BWD weights will fit on the HR wheels. Do the HRs use the same pattern for the bead lock rings as stock wheels?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
I still need to find out if my BWD weights will fit on the HR wheels. Do the HRs use the same pattern for the bead lock rings as stock wheels?
I just checked & they are the same pattern so your good to go
Nice looking rig btw!
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Thanks man, appreciate the compliments. Thanks for checking out the wheels also. Gotta wait till payday rolls around before I can pick up any more parts.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Got a short video and some more pics today. Spent most of the time fighting with a servo that hates me though. Can't afford another till the end of the month though.

First video of my Trekker with the DANALLY wound 180 Stroker. Music is from my buddy Brian's 1.9 MRC Hummer scaler. It's damn smooth on the bottom end, but I spent more time trying to keep it going where I wanted it...

Next to my buddy Brian's 1.9 MRC based Hummer. This ought to show how small these rigs are!

Brian crawling his mini in the "micro" side of the course. This whole rib was hidden under about 6" of crap dirt. Best section ever for the micros!

Last edited by 89redranger; 03-31-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #56
RCC Addict

That rock looks awesome for micro crawling. I wish I was there

If the 80t is too slow for you send it back and I will rewind it no charge. Maybe a 60t? The strokers are amazing...even with the lower turn motors they still have intense power and god control. I am running a 40t stroker and it is STUPID FUN!!! I still need more time on it to say how safe it is on stock electronics. I know that anything over 55 turn is totally safe.

Let me know and I'll get-r-dun!
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
That rock looks awesome for micro crawling. I wish I was there

If the 80t is too slow for you send it back and I will rewind it no charge. Maybe a 60t? The strokers are amazing...even with the lower turn motors they still have intense power and god control. I am running a 40t stroker and it is STUPID FUN!!! I still need more time on it to say how safe it is on stock electronics. I know that anything over 55 turn is totally safe.

Let me know and I'll get-r-dun!
Thanks for the offer Dan, but I think I'll keep this one around. It works VERY well with the torsion chassis, but I've got YET ANOTHER project needs a motor. I got an itch to play in the mud, and Chevy55 is hooking me up with a set of micro tractor tires to put on the Sumo axles I'm getting, with a Losi trans. Actually, for the next rig I'll need another whole kit.

You think a 60T 180 with a billet HR Losi trans, Sumo axles, and tractor tires ought to throw some mud? Still searching for axles though. I'm really not wanting to buy a whole rig for parts.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #58
RCC Addict

BTW, the micro course is only about 5% of the crawling we have. There are actually 3 whole courses in the yard between apartments. My neighbor directly across the rocks from me (Brian, the Hummer driver) and I have about a year and a half into this area. By all luck, the land that we built this on is technically an alley access for the power lines. Our block is triangle shaped, and this is the little slice the city claimed.

When I moved in Brian didn't own a crawler, I had three of them, and this whole area was overgrown and littered in garbage. Now, he has three crawlers, we have 8 RC cars and trucks, a boat, a helicopter, and a dozen foam gliders we fly off the porch over the rocks (we actually live upstairs).

My how things change!

This is the "mini/kids course", which sits in the "front" yard by the street. This is what started it all. When we started bums slept under the tree in the center, the grass and weeds were a foot tall, the dirt completely covered the rocks, and you couldn't see this hill because of the overgrown brush.

Welcome to the 1.55/1.9/2.2 scaler course. This is sitting more toward the back of the property. Pics all look back toward the "alley." Brian and his Hummer snuck into a few of the pics...

And here's a not so close up of the micro course (the rocky rib poking out of the ground on the left of Brian). Once again, Brain and the Hummer are in there.

The "neighborhood effort rock crawl course..."
Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Those courses look awesome. Was all the rock from around there or where did you get it? A little here, a little there? Also, love the progress of your rig. Nice work.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Believe it or not, the "scale" side of the yard was littered with all the bigger rocks, and the small side was filled with the little stuff. We got lucky and haven't had to haul in a single rock. It was just a matter of taking the yard from a disorganized rock covered mess to two split yards with a rock feature in the middle. The city and the landlord couldn't be happier. If we take the bridges out it just looks like a nice rock feature separating the two buildings and yards.

Brian's Christmas Trekker Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting a slow Trekker Build Big_Mac Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 06-28-2012 02:45 PM
Brian's F150 Build (Pic HEAVY) mahgninnuc1 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-10-2012 01:04 AM
Trekker, My Build So Far... Crawl Wonder Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 98 07-31-2011 05:17 PM
Brian's Build up, PICS Brian, aka XJFanatic.com General Crawlers 7 12-20-2005 09:27 PM