Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brian's Christmas Trekker Build

Finally! Ordered a few parts to give this rig a little more ease on the trails tonight. Here's the list-

RC4WD Micro Baja Claws $7.99(X2 pairs)
Lavacapcrawling widener weights (with the normal looking barrel nuts) $34.99
LOSB1587 Black-chrome stock wheels (mine are all stripped out and I'm holding off for DANALLY's delrin wheels...) like $7.00(???)
TowerPro MG90S servo lot (4 of them, yes I know they're different than the regular MG90) $16.99

We'll see where this gets the little rig. Also, ditching my BBs for some form of wheel weight that doesn't roll around. I'm thinking solder wrapped around the rim should be better than the BBs...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Well, I hate to say it, but I ordered the servo from a Chinese distributor. A distributor that seems to be selling knock-offs. I just looked at the pics of a "normal" MG90S and the case differs from the ones I ordered. I'm still going to try to run them, but I wish I would've payed attention...

One of the "clones" I ordered-

The real deal-

Note the placement of the mounting tabs on the side of the case. The original has a longer snout because the mount tabs sit a little further back on the case. Also worth noting, this version has a 2.2/2.5KG rating, which are MG90 numbers. Funny cause it looks similar to a standard MG90, not the MG90S. Also looks to use the same motor of an MG90, not the little guy that gives the S model it's quick transit times. Not a big deal, I had just planned on mounting my drag link behind the servo horn, now I have to run it out front like stock. On the plus side, I may end up with a little more steering torque, at the expense of a little speed.

As far as the rest of the servo, I let you guys know when they show up. I just wanted to remind people to watch what they're ordering. Not always do stickers tell the truth about who built it, or what in the hell it really is...

Last edited by 89redranger; 04-18-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #63
RCC Addict

Well, new wheels are weighted and waiting on tires, the widener weights, and my servos. I managed to wrap 11.5 grams of lead rope around the bead channel of the front and rear wheels to get rid of the 13.6 grams of BBs I previously ran in my front tires. I have also added 2 stainless M10 flat washers around the hex nub in the back of the wheel for another 4 grams in the front wheels. Total front wheel weight, no tires, should be around 47.5 grams coupled with my BWD weight set #1. The rears will come in right at 43.5 grams.

Overall my wheel weight has increased by 8.4 grams in the front wheels, up from 39.6 grams. The rears have gone up a total of 15.4 grams total, up from 28.1. While I had added almost an ounce to each front tire and half an ounce in the rear, the truck felt a little light and I hated the BBs. With this truck having a torsion chassis, the stroker motor, and Baja Claws (soon enough...) it really likes the wheel weight. This setup ought to work well. As stated in my previous thread though, I have fears of the sidewalls not being firm enough for this heavy truck. Foams may be required, stock or modded.

With all the scale stuff, wheel weights, a winch, such it weighs in at 410.6 grams, or 14.48oz! This is as the truck sits now with wheels and no tires, 27.7 grams added for the coming wideners, and with the stock blown up servo. The metal gears in the MG90 ought to add a few grams as well the Baja Claws that are 13 grams each.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Well, got her complete minus a servo. So ready for the first test drive with new parts. In my previous post I had stated the wheel weight I was running. This was actually a little too heavy. I have since pulled the solid rings from the BWD weight kit off the wheels to drop 5.3 grams per corner. Still heavy enough to reach max flex, but not enough to push the torsion chassis to it's limits.

Anywho, here are the current pics.

Here's a pic of the widener weights and the washers that fit in behind them. These little M10 flat washers fit right in, don't rattle because the wideners hold them, and are good for 4.1 grams.

Last edited by 89redranger; 04-21-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

sicktorial!
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Awesome man! Looks like that thing could take on some micro comp crawlers!
mathcanbefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! Back when I first got this thing I had the idea that I could make it look the part of a scaler, but drive more like a comp rig. I'm damn-near there now. It's like driving a rock buggy with a body dropped on top...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Finally! My buddy Brian got a Trekker off EBAY and we got some wheeling in!

We grabbed up the rigs bright and early this morning and headed for Pioneer Park here in Bend. While not the best of parks to crawl, we were limited by my girlfriend's school schedule. She had an early class this morning and dropped us off for the hour and a half she was in class and picked us up when she was done.

Here are the pics-

Brian's new score. Pay no attention to the "Greg" stickers on the doors. The only addition he's made thus far are an ID winch, my extra solid set of BWD rings, the stickers and weights the original owner installed, and the bed hack. It works for being so stock!

A few pics of the "scale recovery" that took place today. One slip and his rig was in for a whopping 8" fall. Oh no...

After a recovery you gotta call break time-

Slick rock climbing. Sorry about the vid quality. You get the idea though.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...43978285891834

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...43951413670552

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...54770664534924

Brian's Trekker on a particularly nasty winch hill. We need to get him a Predator to slow it down!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...98685783130935

Last edited by 89redranger; 05-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Look for a rebuild and refresh of this truck soon. After talking to the local club member that bought this truck a year ago, it will soon end up back in my hands. This truck was one of my first micro builds and carries quite a bit of meaning. Most likely it'll get freshened up and passed down to my son. My excitement for the day...

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #70
RCC Addict

I guess it's only been a few months. Feels like a year. Phone won't let me edit post.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Can't wait to see what you have in store for this rig now that you've got some more micro experience. I'm waiting for Jim's Spectre to be released. Got a McRC just waiting to be transplanted. Here it is Monday in its natural habitat.

I need some flat black paint and a small brush to make my "corner armor" look right.

Last edited by Sh0rtBus; 10-23-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #72
RCC Addict

This rig most likely won't get any more mods. There wasn't a whole lot I could've added to it even when I had it. It's just gonna get a fresh coat of paint and cleaned up. I'm not quite sure what you meant when you said that I got some more micro experience. Was this rig not good enough? It may have been my first micro, but in no way was it my first RC build. Nor lacking in any way I could see. I'm not trying to sound defensive, just not understanding.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #73
RCC Addict

I like the Jeep BTW! If I could I would've found a little smaller body like that for my JK build. The Roadripper's JK I have is a little big. I try to keep all my stuff close to the same scale for pics and stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
This rig most likely won't get any more mods. There wasn't a whole lot I could've added to it even when I had it. It's just gonna get a fresh coat of paint and cleaned up. I'm not quite sure what you meant when you said that I got some more micro experience. Was this rig not good enough? It may have been my first micro, but in no way was it my first RC build. Nor lacking in any way I could see. I'm not trying to sound defensive, just not understanding.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Guess that came out wrong, huh? No, it was a great build! Hell, better than mine. But the first is always a learning experience. IMHO, I think micros tend to be a little easier, too. So...yeah...I really like this one. Glad to see you getting it back.

Quote:
I like the Jeep BTW! If I could I would've found a little smaller body like that for my JK build. The Roadripper's JK I have is a little big. I try to keep all my stuff close to the same scale for pics and stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Yeah, I have 2 Road Rippers JK bodies that I was going to cut up and make an Unlimited (4dr) out of, but they're just too damn big. Tell ya what, though. Once I finally do make the swap to the Spectre, I'll send the current JK body to you if you want it.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Guess that came out wrong, huh? No, it was a great build! Hell, better than mine. But the first is always a learning experience. IMHO, I think micros tend to be a little easier, too. So...yeah...I really like this one. Glad to see you getting it back.

Yeah, I have 2 Road Rippers JK bodies that I was going to cut up and make an Unlimited (4dr) out of, but they're just too damn big. Tell ya what, though. Once I finally do make the swap to the Spectre, I'll send the current JK body to you if you want it.
Right on man! You know who likes toy bodies? This guy...lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Right on man! You know who likes toy bodies? This guy...lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Now all you have to do is put pressure on Fungi to get that damn Spectre out!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Trust me, I'm waiting too man! Like I said in his post, I'll end up with one of each by the time all is said and done. Like I need an excuse to have more builds going. I have my two Jeeps, a 1/18 YJ FOFF rig, a micro baja that belongs to a buddy, a Trekker I'm buklding for another buddy, and various 1/10 parts for local club members going right now...

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Can't wait to see what you have in store for this rig now that you've got some more micro experience. I'm waiting for Jim's Spectre to be released. Got a McRC just waiting to be transplanted. Here it is Monday in its natural habitat.

I need some flat black paint and a small brush to make my "corner armor" look right.

nice pinch chassis theyre really rare now. i have one as well. best thing to do to a stock mcrc
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambaam View Post
nice pinch chassis theyre really rare now. i have one as well. best thing to do to a stock mcrc
It's that what it is? I bought from a fellow forum member almost as it sits. Made a couple of small changes, but I had no idea what chassis it was on. Just knew it wasn't stock.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Are you just going to paint that body? do you have a color picked?
MikeChino is offline   Reply With Quote

Brian's Christmas Trekker Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting a slow Trekker Build Big_Mac Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 06-28-2012 02:45 PM
Brian's F150 Build (Pic HEAVY) mahgninnuc1 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-10-2012 01:04 AM
Trekker, My Build So Far... Crawl Wonder Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 98 07-31-2011 05:17 PM
Brian's Build up, PICS Brian, aka XJFanatic.com General Crawlers 7 12-20-2005 09:27 PM