Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #381
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30nate View Post
It's still running great. I love this little thing now. Plenty of power and torque, and also very predictable and capable

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
So fantastic to read that.
So 2000Kv micro brushless outrunner, got it. Think this will be the route ill go, rather than the mods others have dealt with
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2016, 11:09 PM   #382

Exactly my thoughts. Simple and cheap with the same result. A useable micro crawler that looks great

e30nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #383

This just in: don't waste your time with the dual N20 motor setup. Absolute garbage, from my experience. It would get one of the 2 motors bound up WAY too often trying to climb over stuff (sometimes both at once), which would of course force you to back up and abandon the obstacle. No torque at all. And yet somehow, it managed to strip the gear reduction boxes on 2 different motors. First was one of the motors it came with (300/600 RPM@6/12V), then I replaced those with 600/1200 RPM@6/12V motors, and it stripped a reduction box out even quicker (less than 15 minutes), and of course, still no torque.

Maybe for mild stuff with stock suspension it could almost be doable, but even then, my stock setup was MUCH more usable, just without the low speed control and smoothness of the tiny N20 motors. With all of the additional flex and 3S power I have to take advantage of, they just weren't even close to good enough. I'm going to try the Sumo Crawler motor/transmission, which seems to be a well-received swap, with videos of it actually doing some good crawling. We'll see how that goes!
guards951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #384
Pebble Pounder

Interesting to hear - that's at least four people I've heard with a similar experience of the twin motors. If you can use a drill and a hacksaw I'd highly recommend going the 180 route, it's well worth the effort. If you're going the sumo direction I'd recommend the larger motor and metal gears from the HBX/FTX
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
Interesting to hear - that's at least four people I've heard with a similar experience of the twin motors. If you can use a drill and a hacksaw I'd highly recommend going the 180 route, it's well worth the effort. If you're going the sumo direction I'd recommend the larger motor and metal gears from the HBX/FTX
I've got pretty much everything at my disposal, tool-wise. I was hoping this one wouldn't get TOO involving, but it's certainly heading in that direction! Haha
I'll definitely look into the gears and motor, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm hoping that this Sumo setup will have the makings of everything I'm looking for, but if not, I guess it'll be time to get a little more wild with it.
guards951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:32 AM   #386
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
So fantastic to read that.
So 2000Kv micro brushless outrunner, got it. Think this will be the route ill go, rather than the mods others have dealt with
Hi, the hobbyking 10A ESC to go with the above brushless motor, can it be used with the stock receiver?

Last edited by Aeronuclear; 01-05-2017 at 02:24 AM.
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:06 AM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronuclear View Post
Hi, what ESC did you use with the above brushless?
This is the one I'm running. Small enough to sit right on top of the servo with some mounting tape.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...w-reverse.html

Old 01-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #388
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30nate View Post
This is the one I'm running. Small enough to sit right on top of the servo with some mounting tape.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...w-reverse.html

Thanks, do you have a photo of it mounted? Is this then connected back to the stock receiver? Sorry for these questions, not good at electronic...
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #389

You will have to use a standard receiver and transmitter

Old 01-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #390
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
Swapped stock links to redcat sumo balls and rod ends. The balls have m2 threads so they screw right into the axle brackets. They are a hair short going through the chassis plates- they don't make it to the nylon locking part of the nut, so I used loctite. If one comes loose, I'll grind the chassis a hair by the holes.

Just as much as my Specter:

Behind axle steering link. 2mm threaded rod with rod ends mounted above rear knuckle mount. The short link was replaced as well with rod ends that move more.

The shocks are losi mini desert truck front shocks with the spring perch removed. 10wt oil and about 10mm of a trekker/micro t spring inside. They are relatively inexpensive at $10/pr.
Ah. With the part numbers Guards posted it is this that i need to follow as a tutorial. Thanks TDi.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #391

Very helpful thread guys!

Looking into getting a G2 and modding it. I was wondering about your using the micro outrunner, what was the solution for the pinion?
And what about using a bigger ESC to handle 3S? Will it fit?
I already have two LiFe 3S batteries (a max amp 3S/950 mAh and a intellect volt 3S /1450 mAh.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Dr.Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #392
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Strange View Post
Very helpful thread guys!

Looking into getting a G2 and modding it. I was wondering about your using the micro outrunner, what was the solution for the pinion?
And what about using a bigger ESC to handle 3S? Will it fit?
I already have two LiFe 3S batteries (a max amp 3S/950 mAh and a intellect volt 3S /1450 mAh.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I am also interested about the pinion used with the outrunner.

For your esc question. I am currently using a HobbyWing 1060(brushed) suggested by another member. It is installed and so far I like it. Has a drag brake but thats about it. Also waterproof and has a switch on a 3" or so lead. the switch I have Velcro'd to the rear bumper for easy access. I made a plexiglass structure to extend the switch higher into the body than the bumper and simpler mounted that between the bumper and frame using the bumpers hardware, if you were interested.

I believe for brushless, correct me otherwise; some are using the Tekin B1r or the Sidewinder2 micro. Also, there was talk about the HobbyKing 10a esc

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-14-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #393

Nice setup! Thanks for sharing the mod info.

What are you using for the brushed motor? I was thinking of thr micro brushless to increase the torque. It seems though that a bigger ESC like the 1060 fits well, suggesting that a bigger brushless would fit as well ...
Old 01-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #394
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Nice setup! Thanks for sharing the mod info.

What are you using for the brushed motor? I was thinking of thr micro brushless to increase the torque. It seems though that a bigger ESC like the 1060 fits well, suggesting that a bigger brushless would fit as well ...
Thank you, clean and simple is my idea. You can check out my "build" its thread name is "Godzooky." Under this same Micro section.
I am using a motor from a savox servo. The original crapped out within afew hours of running. TGreer has a Bronco build on this chassis and he is using a similar, Servo motor for replacement; it is where I got the idea. Good luck on your endeavor.
Keep us posted what you find works and does not.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:34 AM   #395
I wanna be Dave

The Tekin B1R is brushed only. The Castle Micro ESCs are both brushed and brushless. The XYS-BL20A is very cheap, tiny and brushed only. FWIW xys also has a 10amp ESC that's a little smaller,a little cheaper, and more than enough for the micro Crawlers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #396
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
The Tekin B1R is brushed only. The Castle Micro ESCs are both brushed and brushless. The XYS-BL20A is very cheap, tiny and brushed only. FWIW xys also has a 10amp ESC that's a little smaller,a little cheaper, and more than enough for the micro Crawlers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Thought the B1r could be tuned to brushless or something, sounds like I am alil off with that.
Good information! Thanks for speaking up
Old 01-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #397

Hey guys,

Pinion question: when you replace the motor with either a servo motor or a micro outrunner, do you use the stock pinion? Can it be removed and installed on the new motor shaft?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #398

And one more thing: are people here selling their gigs? I used to hang out at rc tech.net and there was a section for selling, but I cannot find it here.

Anyway, if someone is bored of their G2, let me know, it can go to a nice home (mine) and keep company to a heavily modded mini inferno and a G6 scx10.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #399
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
And one more thing: are people here selling their gigs? I used to hang out at rc tech.net and there was a section for selling, but I cannot find it here.

Anyway, if someone is bored of their G2, let me know, it can go to a nice home (mine) and keep company to a heavily modded mini inferno and a G6 scx10.

Thanks!
There's a classified section at the bottom but I think there's a minimum post limit or time limit or something If you can't find it.

Classifieds??

edit. ah- here's the rules:

Classifieds
You cannot see the entire classifieds section until you meet these qualifications:
Be a member of the site for at least 30 days.
and
Have a minimum of 30 posts.
or
Purchase a star to support the site. See below.
If you try to get your 30 posts in one day with saying "cool truck" in 30 different threads we will notice it, delete your posts, and give you an infraction.
Do not put for sale or want ads in your signature.
Do not put for sale or want ads in the tech sections.
There are stickies describing the rules of for sale and wanted posts, read them or your ad will be deleted.
Chit chatting in the Feedback section will result in a permanent removal form the classifieds.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #400
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hey guys,

Pinion question: when you replace the motor with either a servo motor or a micro outrunner, do you use the stock pinion? Can it be removed and installed on the new motor shaft?

Thanks!
I used the original pinion from the motor out of the servo. It matched up but I believe it was a smaller diameter than the G2's motor's pinion, if I recall correctly.
The adjustable bolt on the tranny is mounted to the motor; as long as the pinion and gear mate well, there should be no issues.

Take this for what its worth, I am no expert to this hobby.

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM