https://youtu.be/bj0XLj030nU
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #342
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
29:1 gru with a 70t 130 can. Plenty of power now.

2s test run:

https://youtu.be/Z05PTb7GGAI
What gears are those? Mini-sized?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:22 AM   #343
Rock Stacker

Anyone has the stock pinion out of the car? Is it possible to check the overall diameter of the pinion? Thanks...
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #344
Quarry Creeper

Swapped stock links to redcat sumo balls and rod ends. The balls have m2 threads so they screw right into the axle brackets. They are a hair short going through the chassis plates- they don't make it to the nylon locking part of the nut, so I used loctite. If one comes loose, I'll grind the chassis a hair by the holes.

Just as much as my Specter:

Behind axle steering link. 2mm threaded rod with rod ends mounted above rear knuckle mount. The short link was replaced as well with rod ends that move more.

The shocks are losi mini desert truck front shocks with the spring perch removed. 10wt oil and about 10mm of a trekker/micro t spring inside. They are relatively inexpensive at $10/pr.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #345

Why did you go with the trekker t spring vs the stock spring? Isn't the stock spring about 10mm? You cut the trekker spring, is that correct?
Ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #346
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergoober View Post
Why did you go with the trekker t spring vs the stock spring? Isn't the stock spring about 10mm? You cut the trekker spring, is that correct?
I made those shocks to put on my trail trekker a long time ago but they were a little tall and set them aside- they worked perfect for this project! I used that spring because these weren't out yet Any piece of spring that fits inside should work. The micro t springs come in 3-4 different rates in a pack (LOSB1600 or 1601) if you wanted to play with spring rates. You can use however long a piece you want for how much droop you want- mine is about 75% sagged I'd estimate.

I'll make a thread for this thing, I've got some pics I need to add that would be helpful if anyone wants to try this, and I don't want to clog up this thread too much.

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 05-22-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #347
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
Swapped stock links to redcat sumo balls and rod ends. The balls have m2 threads so they screw right into the axle brackets. They are a hair short going through the chassis plates- they don't make it to the nylon locking part of the nut, so I used loctite. If one comes loose, I'll grind the chassis a hair by the holes.

Just as much as my Specter:

Behind axle steering link. 2mm threaded rod with rod ends mounted above rear knuckle mount. The short link was replaced as well with rod ends that move more.

The shocks are losi mini desert truck front shocks with the spring perch removed. 10wt oil and about 10mm of a trekker/micro t spring inside. They are relatively inexpensive at $10/pr.
Looking great! Do you have photos of the truck flexing with the body mounted? Are those rc4wd Rok Lox?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #348
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronuclear View Post
Looking great! Do you have photos of the truck flexing with the body mounted? Are those rc4wd Rok Lox?
Thanks! The body is being painted, I'll post a pic in a few days. Yes, the Rok Lox
Old 05-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #349
Pebble Pounder

Nice work! What advantage is there in moving the steering link? I don't have that option any more as my knuckles are shaved.
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #350
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
Nice work! What advantage is there in moving the steering link? I don't have that option any more as my knuckles are shaved.
Nothing, just looks. Well, it does get hung up on rocks but nothing your axle won't hit too.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #351
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronuclear View Post
Flexy shots

Old 05-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #352
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
Flexy shots

Looking very good!! Colour is striking... Do the tires catch the body?

Last edited by Aeronuclear; 05-29-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #353
gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
So, version 3 is here and I think I've cracked it

This time I've used 1.5x2x4 ballraces and a 48T spur/15T pinion for a 3.2:1 ratio, giving a final drive of 122.4:1. Bigger spur means there is room for the 180, but man is it a tight fit.

Top speed is about 3mph, but it has bags of power even on tickover and crawls really nice. Gear mesh is loads better this time too, it runs like a swiss fookin watch

Will try and get some video tomorrow.
Hi, just bought one of these and would like that set up you have.
Would you make me one? Obviously I would pay.
Not too far away from you either (Chesterfield)

Thanks for your time
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #354
Pebble Pounder

Hi Gaz
Not too far away at all

I'm not sure I can pull it off a second time mate. I bought all the bits to make a slightly improved version so I can try a few different pinions, but kinda lost momentum with it. Cutting and drilling the plates accurately is a ballache.

Also, until I strip this one down again I'm not sure I have the right pitch pinion for the transfer case - I used the one out of the stock motor originally and I only have one of those ;) It is definitely a coarser pitch than the 0.3 mod losi gears - I've bought a 0.4 mod 10T which I think is about the right dia but haven't tested it yet.

If I get it built I might be willing to part with this one though - and you're first in the queue
Old 06-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #355
gaz

No worries mate,

Along with that I have a little update, as already known the stock motor is pants!
So reading this thread and winging it I set about modding mine.

I've managed to squeeze in a 180 sized motor now but I think it's a duffer. Also ruined the original pinion so....

What's a good torquey 180 motor and any ideas where I can get some pinion from?

Thanks, gaz.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #356
Pebble Pounder

These are about the best you can get: Xtreme ESL506 180 PRO Motor (B) Gen 3 BLADE CX2 / CX3 / Esky Lama / Hunter / KOB | eBay
Pinions from here: kkpmo - M0.4 Zahnräder für Modellbauer bis 26mm aus Messing und Pom
I think it is a 0.4m 10T but not certain. Good luck - any pics of where you got to?
Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #357
gaz

Not got any further yet, decorating and being moved to a cupboard to work on the rc doesn't help...

I'll get something thrown together before long though and put some pictures up.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #358
Pebble Pounder

Well its too bad this thing needs 20 hours of labor and hundreds in parts to be usable. They clearly subbed it out to China without making sure it was a good product before selling. I've been waiting a long time for a decent micro scale rig and it looks I'll be waiting longer. I've had a Trail Trekker for years that I don't do anything with because of how pathetic it is. don't have the time or need to put excessive amounts of money and labor into a micro toy.
kennebell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #359
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennebell50 View Post
Well its too bad this thing needs 20 hours of labor and hundreds in parts to be usable. They clearly subbed it out to China without making sure it was a good product before selling. I've been waiting a long time for a decent micro scale rig and it looks I'll be waiting longer. I've had a Trail Trekker for years that I don't do anything with because of how pathetic it is. don't have the time or need to put excessive amounts of money and labor into a micro toy.
While you are looking for your perfect off the shelf toy, remember that EVERYTHING is made in china.

Why are you on this thread? Why are you even involved in this hobby? Do you even know what a screwdriver is? Perhaps stamp collecting would be more to your liking.
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #360
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
While you are looking for your perfect off the shelf toy, remember that EVERYTHING is made in china.

Why are you on this thread? Why are you even involved in this hobby? Do you even know what a screwdriver is? Perhaps stamp collecting would be more to your liking.
I surely don't know what a screwdriver is, could you please tell me? The point is I have more going in my life than this as well. I work 50 hours a week, mountain bike, hike, train dogs. Excuse me if I wouldn't mind having toys without wanting to spend my entire day rebuilding one.
kennebell50 is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM