Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #181
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

That's looks fairly capable considering that big bulky body.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #182
Rock Stacker

Wow. Guess I'm in the market for a sumo transmission now.
Clingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #183

Did the sumo trans drop in easy? Got mine a few days ago, I clipped the hubs and got a bit more steering out of it.
Crose87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #184
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clingman View Post
Spoo, can you paste that info here?
Credit goes to those posted in the screen captures.

And this is the motor he linked to.
http://m.banggood.com/HSP-94480-124-...-p-939268.html
He says its not a huge improvement but noticeable, he also doesn't make it seem like a bolt in. I thought the HSP used the same motor as the losi so in surprised. I don't have an HSP to verify.

Some of the pictures are downloaded, I screen captured the photos with comments so everyone can read his notes.

Opps, looks like that wasn't necessary, he posted it here. Jimbo_wa's 1/18th RC4WD D90

Last edited by spoo76; 03-21-2016 at 08:58 PM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crose87 View Post
Did the sumo trans drop in easy? Got mine a few days ago, I clipped the hubs and got a bit more steering out of it.
Mind explaining what you mean by clipping the hubs there bud? im looking to increase steering but i explained earlier that when i removed the bolts holding the shocks on to test if it would allow for sharper turning the dogbones seemed to want to turn out of the yokes so i didnt bother and just bolted it back up, so if yours turns a bit sharper does it seem to jerk or catch when the wheels spin?
crawler will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #186

I cut the arm off the back of the hubs, and filed a space to clear the shock end. It doesn't seem to bind any. If I could figure out how to post a pic of it I would.
Crose87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:02 AM   #187
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crose87 View Post
Very easy. I just took some material off the "top" of the case (the 4 long nubs)and I used 2 bulkheads to sandwich it. I just used that because it saved me time and i had them laying around. Drilled 2 holes in the middle each side to mount it in the stock location. No mods to chassis. The tranny outputs are in same spot as stock this way. Just enough clearance around the motor for the driveshaft and battery tray. Its worth noting that the sumo trans is narrower and the metal driveshafts are a hair too short. Those things are nice, but look at one next to a losi or redcat shaft, they are pretty short. Oh well I'm sure they'll find a home on another project. Losi/sumo crawler shafts fit great, just round out the hole on the axle side.

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 03-22-2016 at 09:06 AM.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #188
Rock Stacker

I put the motor from the 1/24 Temper in mine just to see if it was different. Outwardly the same can, but the temper motor makes the D90 yank the wheels off the ground in a giant wheelie! Entertaining but not what I was looking for...
Old 03-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #189
RCC Addict

Almost got all my painting done now.......thank god this thing is soo small for my sausage fingers.

northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #190
Quarry Creeper

I got a replacement ESC today and my servo works but my motor is giving me nothing. The opposite of the ESC that came with the car.
Pretty lame.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
Almost got all my painting done now.......thank god this thing is soo small for my sausage fingers.

did you have to sand this body at all in prep for painting it, because i would think that the paint wouldnt stick to the surface that well seeing as its so glossy
crawler will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:57 AM   #192
RCC Addict

I always key using one of those abrasive sided sponges you use for washing the dishes.
Then used plastic primer. Plastic seemed no different to normal and has taken very well.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #193
Rock Stacker

Mine took the Tamiya lacquer fine with no prep other than getting the finger prints off with a soft cloth.

(edit, forgot I had sprayed matte clear on it first. Either way, it took paint fine)

Last edited by Clingman; 03-23-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #194
Rock Crawler

I love that color. But it is NOT glossy. It could be called Satin ... maybe.

@northernbill, you might consider flat black wheel skirts...?
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #195
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clingman View Post
I put the motor from the 1/24 Temper in mine just to see if it was different. Outwardly the same can, but the temper motor makes the D90 yank the wheels off the ground in a giant wheelie! Entertaining but not what I was looking for...
NIce info, the motor looks to be same size as 1/24 scale slotcar and there are many options for them with different winds, magnets, etc.

Parma/PSE motors, Super 16D, Deathstar are pretty decent for slotcars, C-can motors are the speed monsters with torque...dunno if they are good for this but just a suggestion.
PARMA/PSE - Slot Car Racing, Slot Motors
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #196
Rock Stacker

I'm wondering if the temper trans and motor wouldn't make a good transfer case setup. The trans is geared to drive worm gear axles, so it might not make the D90 too slow. I'll check and see what the gear ratio is.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #197
Rock Crawler

I'm gonna try a ProSlot top gun C-can..lol. The motor in the micro actually looks closer to a mini can motor ei Falcon 7, Hawk 7, retro Hawk, etc.... I should just sell might, never touched it since I took it out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
NIce info, the motor looks to be same size as 1/24 scale slotcar and there are many options for them with different winds, magnets, etc.

Parma/PSE motors, Super 16D, Deathstar are pretty decent for slotcars, C-can motors are the speed monsters with torque...dunno if they are good for this but just a suggestion.
PARMA/PSE - Slot Car Racing, Slot Motors
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #198
RCC Addict

What are peoples thoughts on it having a drag break. Are you thinking a more torque motor will help it create some drag?

I can't remember how effective my Losi micro crawlers ESC was for the drag break.......think it was ok.....ah can't remember.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:14 PM   #199
I wanna be Dave

The Losis were worm gear driven and it didn't really matter if it had a drag brake or not.

I've got a Mini Q motor for another abandoned project I'll measure the mounting holes if anyone cares.

Also, this tranny looks similar to the HBX Devastator tranny. The HBX appears to have a longer can and I happen to have one of those I could disassemble and have a look see. It's a geared down motor into a tranny, though.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #200
Rock Stacker

I have an 050 motor (longer version of 030) and it won't fit because it hits the fastener holding the upper link to the chassis :(

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM