Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2022, 11:06 PM   #3301

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Sorta new, seems I registered back in 2015. Probably scouring for some info or another. Just recently picked up an scx24, having a ball with it so far. Then a couple days ago I bought a couple bins full of RC stuff and there is an Axial AX10 in there. It needs a little help so I'll be searching around on here for info.
kistner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2022, 03:27 AM   #3302
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Hello to all the newbies coming in.

I'm certainly no ambassador to the forum but I don't want everyone coming in to feel like the forum is completely dead.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 10-21-2022 at 03:48 AM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:42 AM   #3303
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Hello to all the newbies coming in.

I'm certainly not ambassador to the forum but I don't want everyone to feel like the forum is completely dead.

Welcome, new members
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #3304
Pebble Pounder

Indeed welcome. We have some slow days and some wild ones, but for certain this is a great group of folks who love this hobby.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #3305
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Indeed welcome. We have some slow days and some wild ones, but for certain this is a great group of folks who love this hobby.
Not to mention an excellent source of information. From most folks here anyway.

smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #3306

Hello,

New here with CR-24 micro-crawler.

Coming from HO slot cars, so even micro crawlers are huge LOL.

While doing some research about what to vuy and not spend a lot of money I found out about WPL trucks, so a couple of those are on the way.
Glock24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:59 PM   #3307
Quarry Creeper

Hello, I'm new to RC. I'm trying to figure out what batteries to get for my phenix. I understand the stats on batteries. What I don't understand is how can you run a 3s lipo 11.1v or more in what I thought was a 7.4v system. I believe a mamba x is 8.0v max. I know I'm missing something and don't really know squat about electronics.
Steven McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #3308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
Hello, I'm new to RC. I'm trying to figure out what batteries to get for my phenix. I understand the stats on batteries. What I don't understand is how can you run a 3s lipo 11.1v or more in what I thought was a 7.4v system. I believe a mamba x is 8.0v max. I know I'm missing something and don't really know squat about electronics.
Welcome.
Mamba X is good up to 25.2 volts or a 6s battery (or as low as 2s).
kistner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #3309
Rock Crawler

Quote:
... What I don't understand is how can you run a 3s lipo 11.1v or more in what I thought was a 7.4v system. ....
Welcome to RCC, Steven!

Almost all modern ESC's will auto adjust themselves during the initial boot up (i.e. when you turn on the switch each time). Some will even beep back at you for the number of cells the ESC determined during set up.

One thing you may need to take into account is to set the ESC for whether you're using Lipo batteries or Nicad/Nimh. Some ESCs this is done via programing while others simple have a jumper plug on the ESC. If you post the model of ESC over on the "Newbies General" or "Electronics" sections, I'm sure someone will be familiar and help you out with the setting.

Edit:

Oops, sorry.....you already mentioned Mamba X for your ESC. I'm not familiar with that one but I'm sure someone on here can help if needed.

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 12-17-2022 at 08:59 AM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #3310
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kistner View Post
Welcome.
Mamba X is good up to 25.2 volts or a 6s battery (or as low as 2s).
Thanks, I know 2s to 6s are used just thought esc was 8v max. When back
and yes it's 25.2.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:15 PM   #3311
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Welcome to RCC, Steven!

Almost all modern ESC's will auto adjust themselves during the initial boot up (i.e. when you turn on the switch each time). Some will even beep back at you for the number of cells the ESC determined during set up.

One thing you may need to take into account is to set the ESC for whether you're using Lipo batteries or Nicad/Nimh. Some ESCs this is done via programing while others simple have a jumper plug on the ESC. If you post the model of ESC over on the "Newbies General" or "Electronics" sections, I'm sure someone will be familiar and help you out with the setting.

Edit:

Oops, sorry.....you already mentioned Mamba X for your ESC. I'm not familiar with that one but I'm sure someone on here can help if needed.
Actually I'll be using the rx4, was quoting what I thought was mamba x stats
but was wrong. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:11 PM   #3312
Quarry Creeper

I'm trying to bleed my shocks S8E and after bleeding them when I extend the shaft it contracts. Rebound is about 1/8 when fully compressed. What am I doing wrong?
Old 12-22-2022, 09:23 PM   #3313
Quarry Creeper

Also what should the shock do when extended and compressed, what rebound should it have?
Old 12-23-2022, 12:12 AM   #3314
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm trying to bleed my shocks S8E and after bleeding them when I extend the shaft it contracts. Rebound is about 1/8 when fully compressed. What am I doing wrong?
Quote:
Also what should the shock do when extended and compressed, what rebound should it have?
I dunno that you're actually doing anything wrong. It's going to be more beneficial to you if you do a search on "tuning rock crawling rc shocks" You can also search and find already posted opinions/ experiences here on RCC about filling and tuning shocks.

I will say that at least imo I don't think that having a perfect shock set-up is quite as important in crawling as in other RC applications. Generally you want to keep the air out and just the right amt of oil to provide a bit of rebound. But there are a ton of variables involved that will produce different results. Even the amount of rebound has been debated in detail. Back when I was running stadium trucks, I spent a LOT of time fine-tuning shocks but with my rock crawlers I don't expend nearly as much time. Most my time with crawler shocks are getting things set up by oil weight, spring rate, and preload.

For now I wouldn't sweat it too much. I would seek full compression and a slight rebound but beyond that, I'd just search for some RCC threads on the topic and maybe watch a couple videos for more detailed info.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:31 AM   #3315
Quarry Creeper

Problem solved. Explanation on my build thread. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #3316

New to the forum and saying hello from Crosby, Tx. Been messing with RC’s for about 40 years and still getting into new stuff. Just now showing up to the crawler scene. Looking forward to getting going.
Runnin2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:06 PM   #3317

New to the forum from NYC. My son and I got TRX4-M’s for Christmas and immediately started modding them ( he is 6 and RC obsessed) and built an indoor crawler course. I went down the YouTube rabbit hole and ended up ordering a Vanquish Phoenix straight axle. I love building models and wrenching on bikes and motorcycles so super excited to build this kit. I am a total noob to RC so will have lots of questions but just surfing the site today I can see so much great info here. Thanks, Mike.
HMNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:13 PM   #3318
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Welcome. It was not long ago I was new to the forum. Help is readily available but it's not an overly active forum.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:54 PM   #3319

I joined almost 10 years ago but am now just thinking of getting back in now that i have kids. Never had a crawler but have owned dozens of traxxas trucks and 8th scale buggies.

Thinking about trx4 , ecto, or scx10iii.

I am a traxxas guy but have never owned a trie crawler. I had a wraith for a few days years ago when i was buying and selling 8th scale buggies. I also had several axial exo terras and they were fun short course but impossible to work on quickly. Never had element but i loved associated buggies

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
chevyjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:56 PM   #3320
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
I joined almost 10 years ago but am now just thinking of getting back in now that i have kids. Never had a crawler but have owned dozens of traxxas trucks and 8th scale buggies.

Thinking about trx4 , ecto, or scx10iii.

I am a traxxas guy but have never owned a trie crawler. I had a wraith for a few days years ago when i was buying and selling 8th scale buggies. I also had several axial exo terras and they were fun short course but impossible to work on quickly. Never had element but i loved associated buggies

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
About 6 months ago i bought a YK 4082 PRO 1/8 RC Car 2.4G Six-Channel Remote*

there BIG and easy to work on,

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote