Notices

Thread: Spraying outside of lexan body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spraying outside of lexan body

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW View Post
Nice job. I am hoping to pick up some of the new line of pro-line paint for lexan. I hope it works as well as fascolor in the airbrush. I think you are absolutely right about proper prep and gloves. Too many people blame the paint for not sticking or holding up but they just sprayed over the “ brand new body that was clean”. I hope to do an outside paint job with inside silver and primer color so scratches look “real”. Time for the scale beater look. Sometimes mud/dirt/dust gives you the best final coat ! Lol.
Hey SMW - We need to get together for some crawling / trailing. You're literally 10-15 mins up the road from me.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Hey SMW - We need to get together for some crawling / trailing. You're literally 10-15 mins up the road from me.
how far are you from morgantown WV? I'm assuming Medina, OH
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Hey Duke - Just catching up with this post. Morgantown is 3 hrs for me from Medina, OH.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Got this sucker just about wrapped up. Still waiting on it to warm up a bit here so I can get the Spawn Interior sprayed and installed. (So damn cold here that the heater in my shop just can't keep up)

New metal front and rear bumpers are on the way as well. I'd almost prefer to run without any because it looks so clean and the entry and departure clearance is sick!
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2019, 05:58 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Got this sucker just about wrapped up. Still waiting on it to warm up a bit here so I can get the Spawn Interior sprayed and installed. (So damn cold here that the heater in my shop just can't keep up)

New metal front and rear bumpers are on the way as well. I'd almost prefer to run without any because it looks so clean and the entry and departure clearance is sick!
Truck looks mean! Have you thought about fabbing up some simple tube bumpers to keep better angles?
kincer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #26
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:

Truck is looking good! I might have to try spraying on the outside on one of mine.

Know what you mean about the cold. I am about an hour south of you. Been so cold that my builds had to be put on hold. Looking forward to the 50's this weekend!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:45 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Truck looks mean! Have you thought about fabbing up some simple tube bumpers to keep better angles?
I did, and I may still go that route. I ordered some though, so i'll see how I like them.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:46 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Truck is looking good! I might have to try spraying on the outside on one of mine.

Know what you mean about the cold. I am about an hour south of you. Been so cold that my builds had to be put on hold. Looking forward to the 50's this weekend!
Yeah, it's been a bit ridiculous with the cold. Nothing like a 50+ degree temp swing in a week ehh!?

Where's your go to place for crawling B-MOW? I get through Columbus / Mid-Ohio often.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 01-31-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:55 AM   #29

Wow that looks great! The color is perfect.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Jato! I wish I wouldn't have screwed up trimming along the rockers though. Would have loved to use my magnet mount set up. Oh well, next time!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Gotta say that look pretty nice!
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #32
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Yeah, it's been a bit ridiculous with the cold. Nothing like a 50+ degree temp swing in a week ehh!?

Where's your go to place for crawling B-MOW? I get through Columbus / Mid-Ohio often.
Yeah, 50 is going to feel tropical!

I am in the Mansfield area. My somewhat local place I go to is a sweet little place called Honeyrun. It is just east of Mt. Vernon. It has a nice waterfall and trails with some nice rocks and small cliffs to crawl on. I have been to Olmstead Falls a couple times. There is some nice crawling spots down by the river.

Also have been to Kendall Ledges in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park a few times. We usually park down at the Octagon parking lot and start there. This place is my favorite place to go to. Can easily spend 4-5 hours there.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I am in the Mansfield area. My somewhat local place I go to is a sweet little place called Honeyrun. It is just east of Mt. Vernon. It has a nice waterfall and trails with some nice rocks and small cliffs to crawl on. I have been to Olmstead Falls a couple times. There is some nice crawling spots down by the river.

Also have been to Kendall Ledges in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park a few times. We usually park down at the Octagon parking lot and start there. This place is my favorite place to go to. Can easily spend 4-5 hours there.
My best friend growing up lives in Mansfield now. Try and get up there once a year or so.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Love the colors, that came out great!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Mansfield is about a 45-50 min drive for me, so you're pretty much right down the road. Lived in Olmsted Falls some years back, I know exactly where you're talking about. There's actually a number of spots like that all along the river all the way up to the lake.

Very familiar with Kendall Ledges as well. Hinkley Ledges is another good place. Hit me up the next time your headed up and maybe we can meet up for some crawlin!
Old 01-31-2019, 10:24 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Even lexan paint scratches easily in the rocks. DAMHIK.
So it will look nice as long as you don't run it.
This is a yellow K10 which now has yellow showing around the edges.

Tamiya Polycarbonate spary paint on the outside. Looks great when you first spray it...:

This one is going to HAVE to be painted on the outside - your krylon whatever was used inside. LOL

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

This one is going to HAVE to be painted on the outside - your krylon whatever was used inside. LOL

I had that grey comanche body looking like that before I redid it. I literally just worked it in my hands a little and cracked the rest off. Used a razor blade where it was sticking. Ended up with clean body after an hour or two of effort. I don't guess I washed it when i first painted it robin egg blue as I didn't know about cleaning off the mold release stuff.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

no poking fun, it was my first ever paint job on an RC body. I had no idea what I was doing, still don't really but theyre not quite this hack job now haha... but this is the same body as the grey one on the bomber. This was on an OG AX10.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Browneye - I color matched and sprayed on the inside as well. So, as she gets scratched the same colors will show through, although they will appear glossy.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Browneye - I color matched and sprayed on the inside as well. So, as she gets scratched the same colors will show through, although they will appear glossy.

I doubt they'll be glossy...scratches never shine.

Good call though.

I'd like to knock all the paint out of my salvage truck body, but so far I doubt that's gonna happen satisfactorily. Which is fine, it's intended to be a tow-rig for my vintage travel trailer project. It just has to LOOK the part.

I do have another new body though, that was gonna get the inside lexan paint, but I wanted to try spraying the outside with matt finish for the look. Anxious to try that out, see how it works out.

Early on I tried some automotive paints, which worked out pretty good but is a lot of hassle and work and so it's just easier to pick up a tamiya rattle can and shoot it. No fuss no muss.

Two auto-paint bodies...

And a rattle-can:

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Spraying outside of lexan body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spraying down some stripes. Need advice please Hirschowl Paint and Body 4 02-01-2014 07:05 AM
Spraying liquid mask highlandcrawler Paint and Body 10 10-13-2011 10:25 AM
Comp Rules on Spraying Tires? Iberian Tires and Wheels 3 02-02-2010 12:21 PM
airbrush is spraying cobwebs KYScorpion Paint and Body 27 04-27-2008 07:09 PM
Lexan body spraying - snake scale print Robocop Newbie General 11 07-26-2007 02:27 PM