Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Spraying outside of lexan body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 04:17 PM   #41
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Spraying outside of lexan body

All of those look great but the blazer is popping.

Great job on your Comanche Walsh! Looks awesome and all your little additions really tied the room together.

I meant to ask you, what method did you use for masking your fenders? The lines came out really clean. Just tape and knifing?

I need to find a roll bar of some sort myself.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 01-31-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

I hit my RTR Vaterra K10 cab with matte clear Tamiya PS-55 along with painting the underside black - kinda effed it up because I was in a hurry and just wanted to rat it out and change up the "straight-outta-the-box" look. I masked the windshield and the back window, forgot the side windows - didn't feel like masking the inside when I shot the black - so it's got illegal tint all-around

It still looks much better (IMHO) than it did out of the box - I hate super shiny bodies that the sun shines through!

I do have a new K10 cab that I plan on doing up nicely in the future.

My new Defender is getting a better job done on it, but of course being a Traxxas, it has that illegal tint look again from the stinkin' window stickers. I've done the roof from the outside, and masked the window (stickers) in preparation of a Tamiya matte clear attack. Unfortunately the weather isn't cooperating and it's just sitting there waiting on a warmer, drier day!

I know I've posted it before, but the K10 still looks pretty good - in a beater truggy sorta way:
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:07 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
All of those look great but the blazer is popping.

Great job on your Comanche Walsh! Looks awesome and all your little additions really tied the room together.

I meant to ask you, what method did you use for masking your fenders? The lines came out really clean. Just tape and knifing?

I need to find a roll bar of some sort myself.
Thanks Danza! For tight, compound curve masking, I use vinyl automotive pinstripe tape.(like 1/8" width) It takes the bends and curves and still lays nice and flat. Plus it sticks to lexan like burrs to wool! Once I have the detail lines done with that, I back fill out from there with 3M blue painters tape (Orange tack level).

My roll bar is actually just a hacked up portion of the cage from my old AX-10 Deadbolt. Reduce, re-use, recycle!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I hit my RTR Vaterra K10 cab with matte clear Tamiya PS-55 along with painting the underside black - kinda effed it up because I was in a hurry and just wanted to rat it out and change up the "straight-outta-the-box" look. I masked the windshield and the back window, forgot the side windows - didn't feel like masking the inside when I shot the black - so it's got illegal tint all-around

It still looks much better (IMHO) than it did out of the box - I hate super shiny bodies that the sun shines through!

I do have a new K10 cab that I plan on doing up nicely in the future.

My new Defender is getting a better job done on it, but of course being a Traxxas, it has that illegal tint look again from the stinkin' window stickers. I've done the roof from the outside, and masked the window (stickers) in preparation of a Tamiya matte clear attack. Unfortunately the weather isn't cooperating and it's just sitting there waiting on a warmer, drier day!

I know I've posted it before, but the K10 still looks pretty good - in a beater truggy sorta way:
I was going to mention your success with the flat clears to Browneye.

She does look good - even with the "ILLEGAL TINT" It is a Texas truck after all, and that damn Summer Texas sun can be a real beotch!

I forget who posted it, but have you considered cutting the black windows out of the Defender? You can get clear lexan stock and use E6000 / Shoe-Goo to put clear windows in. The guy that posted did his and it turned out really well. IDK why Traxxas does not move away from the blacked out / "toy car" windows at this point? Even without an interior offered, I'd still rather start off with clear windows.

Are you listening Traxxas????????
Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 AM   #45
RCC Addict

I like blacked out windows for a rig without an interior. Half the cars and trucks out here have limo-tint so it's what you get used to.
I've painted a few out and never unhappy with it. I'm more on running them than building out a lot of detail and interior. I do have a nukizer body I would like to detail out though...we'll see. It needs flat clear over as well, but clear windows.
I've had pretty good luck with the window tint spray, as long as you don't get too carried away. Sill makes them kind of foggy though, and that's where clear lexan is nice. I do not care for vinyl stick windows and will usually cut the clear out of the border and just stick that on. Or draw borders with a sharpie.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #46
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Mansfield is about a 45-50 min drive for me, so you're pretty much right down the road. Lived in Olmsted Falls some years back, I know exactly where you're talking about. There's actually a number of spots like that all along the river all the way up to the lake.

Very familiar with Kendall Ledges as well. Hinkley Ledges is another good place. Hit me up the next time your headed up and maybe we can meet up for some crawlin!
I have heard of Hinkley, but haven't made it there yet. Also, a few guys I know go to Whipps Ledges, but haven't had the chance to try them out either.

I plan on getting back up to Olmsted Falls sometime this spring, so I'll let you know. Probably have to wait for river water to go down so the rocks are exposed.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

B-MOW71 - Definitely give me a heads up. We could hit Whipps on the way up then hit some stuff in Olmsted Falls. There's also a little park right outside of "downtown" OF that has some cool rocks and trails.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #48
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
B-MOW71 - Definitely give me a heads up. We could hit Whipps on the way up then hit some stuff in Olmsted Falls. There's also a little park right outside of "downtown" OF that has some cool rocks and trails.
Will do! I believe the park I went to was downtown on the Rocky River. I parked in a little parking lot off of Bagley Rd. on Main St. by the church. Nice rocks down by the river. Will let you know the next time I'm up that way.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Yep - that's the one I was referring to! (I actually got married in that church)

Spraying outside of lexan body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spraying down some stripes. Need advice please Hirschowl Paint and Body 4 02-01-2014 07:05 AM
Spraying liquid mask highlandcrawler Paint and Body 10 10-13-2011 10:25 AM
Comp Rules on Spraying Tires? Iberian Tires and Wheels 3 02-02-2010 12:21 PM
airbrush is spraying cobwebs KYScorpion Paint and Body 27 04-27-2008 07:09 PM
Lexan body spraying - snake scale print Robocop Newbie General 11 07-26-2007 02:27 PM