Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Pictures worked for me. I would say it's pushing it for 50% fender, but should pass for Class 2.

But we can't do this evaluation for everyone's vehicle in this thread.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Pictures worked for me. I would say it's pushing it for 50% fender, but should pass for Class 2.

But we can't do this evaluation for everyone's vehicle in this thread.

I know but I thought if we had a few rigs it might help people to see what is ok and so on.

Thanks
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #23
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I can see the pictures in the build thread you sent....
Saydee's Scrambler

That is indeed pushing it. Some people may allow it where others may not.
From the side, most of it is gone. From the top, some of it is gone. From the front all of it is gone.
I'd be inclined to not allow it.
If you had flat fendered it and not cut away as much of the side, I'd probably be OK with it.

However ....
I think you'd have issues with class 2 under section 4.1. From what I see here, this would not be class 2 legal:

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Good job on the rules guys It is obvious a lot of hard work and thinking went into this.

Since every one has a opinion here is mine. The only thing I don't like is recieving a penalty in class 3 for using rear steer or DIG. With all due respect why did you guys decide on that? I can understand only being able to use one or the other but why a penalty?
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Saydee's Scrambler

I also think you'd have issues with class 2 under section 4.1 but I cannot tell for certain from the pictures I do see.
4.1 No tubbers or rear truggy bed allowed

It is a full Ladder frame
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave-man View Post
Good job on the rules guys It is obvious a lot of hard work and thinking went into this.

Since every one has a opinion here is mine. The only thing I don't like is recieving a penalty in class 3 for using rear steer or DIG. With all due respect why did you guys decide on that? I can understand only being able to use one or the other but why a penalty?
Basically, if there were no penalty, it would effectively become mandatory for the class. RWS/dig do not necessarily "fit" each style of Class 3 rig out there. It would also drive up the cost of entry in an already pretty expensive class.

We voted and decided the best way to keep everyone reasonably happy would be to allow it, but with a relatively small penalty.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Saydee's Scrambler

From the side, most of it is gone. From the top, some of it is gone. From the front all of it is gone.
if you had flat fendered it and not cut away as much of the side, I'd probably be OK with it.

However ....
I think you'd have issues with class 2 under section 4.1. From what I see here, this would not be class 2 legal:

Tires are not the quistion. That stuff is very clear.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #28
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
4.1 No tubbers or rear truggy bed allowed

It is a full Ladder frame
That is from class 1.

I'm talking about class 2, section 4.1. I know that was not your question, I'm just pointing it out to people.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Basically, if there were no penalty, it would effectively become mandatory for the class. RWS/dig do not necessarily "fit" each style of Class 3 rig out there. It would also drive up the cost of entry in an already pretty expensive class.

We voted and decided the best way to keep everyone reasonably happy would be to allow it, but with a relatively small penalty.

Thanks for answering so quickly Tommy. I understand, but really that can be said about a lot of things, for example: if 5.75 tire size is the tallest allowed than it will be mandatory to run that tire size. Cost shouldn't be a determining factor in class 3 (IMO). It is a individuals choice to build a highly modified class 3 rig. Thats the beauty of having 3 classes, something for everyone.

Im just giving you guys a hard time, the rules look great I really appreciate the time and effort that you guys have put forth for us. This is the only thing that bothers me and it's a pretty small thing. I know it's hard to please everyone and I hope you don't think Im being negative I just wanted clarification.

Thanks Again.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That is from class 1.

I'm talking about class 2, section 4.1. I know that was not your question, I'm just pointing it out to people.

wrong ones

4.1.Vehicle body from front to rear of driver / passenger doors must be wider than the distance between the inside of the front tires

Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Class 2 - Performance trail truck ,not necessarily street legal

4.3 All the vehicles, at the minimum, must use: productions style hood, 50% of the production style front fenders, 50% of the production grill, roof (or roll cage if an open top)

I think this is what I was kinda after. There cut but still some left on. Really didn't think that a trail truck need any.

p.s. I am only trying to find out what is the rules. I think us posting this stuff will help other to understand as well. Help to get people trucks into spec.

Last edited by sally1800; 01-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave-man View Post
Thanks for answering so quickly Tommy. I understand, but really that can be said about a lot of things, for example: if 5.75 tire size is the tallest allowed than it will be mandatory to run that tire size. Cost shouldn't be a determining factor in class 3 (IMO). It is a individuals choice to build a highly modified class 3 rig. Thats the beauty of having 3 classes, something for everyone.

Im just giving you guys a hard time, the rules look great I really appreciate the time and effort that you guys have put forth for us. This is the only thing that bothers me and it's a pretty small thing. I know it's hard to please everyone and I hope you don't think Im being negative I just wanted clarification.

Thanks Again.
No sweat! This is why this thread is here!

Believe me, we discussed and voted more than you could likely imagine....sometimes on stuff you would think would be easy decisions! Honestly, it gave me confidence in the group because we have/had a lot of different opinions which was healthy for everyone in the end!

It was only after lots of pros/cons were brought up that we made the decisions we made. Basically, we had to consider all of the different participants/rigs that these classes could accommodate and do what we thought would be best to help our sport grow. We knew everyone would not be happy. We all had to concede on many items of discussion, but we feel we have a fair rule set that will keep the majority of the people happy. At least we hope so!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Unless you narrow up the track width, that's a C3 rig. Also, it looks like more than 50% of the front fenders have been removed.

4.1. Vehicle body from front to rear of driver/passenger doors must be wider than the distance between the inside of the front tires.

4.3. All the vehicles, at the minimum, must use: production style hood, 50% of the production
style front fenders, 50% of the production grill, roof (or roll cage if an open top), plus two of the
following:
‐ Windshield and frame
‐ Rear quarter panels
‐ Doors/half doors
‐ Rear Bed/cargo area
KevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I see something else.
Class 3 it states that you will get penalty point if you engage you rear steer or dig. I have found when mounting a rear steering system you use C-Hub and knuckle just like you do with front steering.
Even if you don't engage your rear steering it will still rotate the wheels a little because they are not lock. Then your turning will become a lot tighter. I have not found a way to lock the rear with steering the same as you would if you ran a straight lock axle. I really don't think there is a way.
So people running a truck with rear steering but never engaged will still have a advantage over a locked axle
Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
I see something else.
Class 3 it states that you will get penalty point if you engage you rear steer or dig. I have found when mounting a rear steering system you use C-Hub and knuckle just like you do with front steering.
Even if you don't engage your rear steering it will still rotate the wheels a little because they are not lock. Then your turning will become a lot tighter. I have not found a way to lock the rear with steering the same as you would if you ran a straight lock axle. I really don't think there is a way.
So people running a truck with rear steering but never engaged will still have a advantage over a locked axle
Yes but that is not using the steering system. that is slop in steering linkage. it should be pretty minimal.

I would have to say if your rear steer while not being used wanders enough to actually change the steering abilities I would tell you to fix it or take the point for use..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Yes but that is not using the steering system. that is slop in steering linkage. it should be pretty minimal.

I would have to say if your rear steer while not being used wanders enough to actually change the steering abilities I would tell you to fix it or take the point for use..

fair just want to get it out there
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:

Along that train of thought that you are penalized for using your winch as an aid,the thought behind the penalty being that dig or rear steer are also an aid.
As others said it was a hot topic but in the end the logic does play out. Now if you "accidentally" use the second choice it's gonna hurt...

Last edited by Difuser; 01-06-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:

I can partially agree, but looking at the 1:1 world, rear steer is a big advantage in some areas, but not all. It's also not mandatory for the real deal either, and I can't see it becoming mandatory. As far as cost goes, there are lots of options available now that can get you rear steering for under $50.

I like the fact that these are included, but it seems that with the penalty points that the use of either dig or rear steer is being discouraged, at which point it almost seems useless to use it in a build. For TTC comps, 7 courses is a 35 point penalty if you used it at each gate. I know the new course rules are still being worked on, but that seems like a big hit on points to me.
primus2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Like I said on our board....TTC rules don't apply to these rules. In TTC you can use your winch as much as you want without penalty...same with rear steer or dig. These rules are for a 10 gate scale comp course.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by primus2010 View Post
I can partially agree, but looking at the 1:1 world, rear steer is a big advantage in some areas, but not all. It's also not mandatory for the real deal either, and I can't see it becoming mandatory. As far as cost goes, there are lots of options available now that can get you rear steering for under $50.

I like the fact that these are included, but it seems that with the penalty points that the use of either dig or rear steer is being discouraged, at which point it almost seems useless to use it in a build. For TTC comps, 7 courses is a 35 point penalty if you used it at each gate. I know the new course rules are still being worked on, but that seems like a big hit on points to me.
It is a flat penalty per course, not per gate. For those that think it will help them it is available to use same as a winch, at a penalty. If you don't want to build including dig or 4WS then don't.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/290744-sorrca-competition-rules-release-class-specs-scale-points.html
Posted By For Type Date
Official new scale rules 2011 - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:20 AM