Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig cw View Post
For some reason I Knew You would be the first person to respond to this post Keven.lol.Here is a pic of mt little TJ.

Do you have a 'before' pic? It' looks like more than 50% of the fender has been removed. I'm not familiar with that body.
KevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #102
Pebble Pounder

From the side its reall close to 50%,if you don't count the molded in flare.I just cut the top off the fender.
Here is a pic of my street truck with a complete fender and flare.

Craig cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Hey Craig, jeeps are a tough one. IMO all you have done is chop the flares off,so no trimming to the actual fender has occured. I also look at the front quarters as being part of the "fender" on a Jeep. Although that may not be reality, it does compare equally and fairly with a conventional "fender" on most rigs.

We discussed this in committee,lets hear what the rest of the guys have to say. I do remember if the entire horizontal fender was trimmed off of the front it would count as a pinched front but the verbage may have not made the final draft.

Edit: I looked a little closer and it seems you have trimed the entire horizontal fender part but added tube fenders. As I stated earlier the quarters are not touched and that is still more then 50 % left.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 01-08-2011 at 08:03 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Here is another rig that would not meet the rule.Let me know what you think.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

Or even a high fender rig like this would not work in class 2?This is a very common trail rig.

Last edited by Craig cw; 01-08-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Craig, this is a tough one. Trust me, we went round and round about open topped Jeeps.
To me, because the hood, cowl and front of the 'tub' take the place of a 'standard' fender, it meets the 'spirit' of what we've tried to accomplish.
This might need to get further addressed in the 'Twilight Zone'.

The white Crock Hunter is a C3 rig. Too much front fender removed.
KevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #107
Pebble Pounder

It's all good Keven.
I'm a big jeep fan and base alot of my builds on them and just wanted to throw it out there.Thanks for jumping right on the subject and giving your opinions.You and Devlin both.We'll just have to wait for more people to give there input so we all know what we can and cannot run in this class.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

This pic shows a stock fender off the jeep. Not much there to begin with but I would say that most of the fender is behind the wheel opening and under the hood. IMO he has only cut off about 25%

edge540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #109
Pebble Pounder

Hey devlin,
I saw the edit to your post.Yes this is correct.I'm running somewhat of a metal fender at this time,but I was thinking about doing a high fender look like the 1:1 pic I posted earlier to clear some larger tires.
If that rig does not fit the spirit of class 2, I'm not sure what does.That is the type of trail rigs you would see trailered to any trail head around, and driven down any forest service road.Even the ocasional trip to the grocery store.Just for fun.
I totally understand the intent of this rule.but It just does not really work for these types of rigs.Jeeps,FJ 40's etc.
Mabey a 50% from the side view,or verticaly would solve the issue.
Just my 0.2 cents.

Last edited by Craig cw; 01-09-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Well, my thoughts on this are:

I don't consider the flare to be part of the fender, especially the bolted on kind. It looks like at least half of the fender is left.

This rule was meant more for vehicles other than Jeeps. It was meant to leave one of the most distinguishable parts of the vehicle so that you could tell what the rig started out as. We didn't want a bunch of flat paneled mostly tube rigs in class 2.

Like these:

I will be a little more lenient on Jeeps than on most other rigs that have full front fenders.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #111
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for chiming in Tim,
I totally agree with you on this.I was just looking for some clarifacation before I spend the time and money to modify my truck for this class.I've ran this truck in street class for the last 3 years and really want to keep it alive.
Great job again,Guys.Thanks for all the time and effort you all put into this.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #112
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Better talk your other committee members. They are telling people different about this same question.
If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected but I don't see anyone else saying otherwise.

I've asked for clarification in the "twilight zone" and am waiting to get confirmation from everyone else. Will let you know what is decided.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #113
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in Tim,
I totally agree with you on this.I was just looking for some clarifacation before I spend the time and money to modify my truck for this class.I've ran this truck in street class for the last 3 years and really want to keep it alive.
Great job again,Guys.Thanks for all the time and effort you all put into this.
If you had not added the tube fender on, it would be a problem. Since you did, I feel good about saying you have 50% there.

EDIT:
To clarify, I'd pass the little RC jeep. The (1:1) Black one I would not. Explanations further down in this thread.

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-09-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #114
Pebble Pounder

Ok Locked up,
This is wear I see a problem.I realize its all an interpritation of the rules,but I dont want to drive all the way to montana this year just to be told my rig is not legal in your eyes,but legal to some one else.
Look at the pic of the black 1:1 jeep I posted earlier.That is the fender set up I plan on running this year.
Is it gonna work or not? Thats all I want to know.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #115
Old guy

Quote:
Ok Locked up,
This is wear I see a problem.I realize its all an interpritation of the rules,but I dont want to drive all the way to montana this year just to be told my rig is not legal in your eyes,but legal to some one else.
Look at the pic of the black 1:1 jeep I posted earlier.That is the fender set up I plan on running this year.
Guess what color opinions are ,Gray.
I myself, am worried about a rule that goes my opinions. Opinions vary so much from persom to person.

Some don't think a flare should count as a fender.
My opinion ,I would count the flare FENDER. It does everything a fender does.
In your pic of mt little, you don't have any fender except the flare you added and it's not attached to the body. how would we call this.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #116
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Ok Locked up,
I understand.

We tossed this around for a very long time and 50% was the best thing we could come up with.

Before traveling to something like Montana, if you are a gray zone person, I'd send pictures to the event organizer to see what class they would put you in. Remember, you'd still get to run, just might not be in class 2.

The little RC Jeep. I'd pass.

The black Jeep (if it were an RC), it appears he has removed the front of the fender, top of the fender and some of the back. I used this pic for an example of where I think it was cut (and bent in inward). It looks like less than 50% to me.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #117
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Guess what color opinions are ,Gray.
I myself, am worried about a rule that goes my opinions. Opinions vary so much from persom to person.

Some don't think a flare should count as a fender.
My opinion ,I would count the flare FENDER. It does everything a fender does.
In your pic of mt little, you don't have any fender except the flare you added and it's not attached to the body. how would we call this.
Ricky,
I would pass the little Jeep (barely). It has most of the back of the fender and although he cut the top part off, he replaced it with tube and flat panel so he added back to the fender.
Although they are not attached together I'd count the stuff outlined in yellow as his fender:
Attached Images

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-09-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #118
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Rules seem pretty straight forward. I did come across a couple questions.

50% of production grill. - Does this include headlights or just grill. See attached pic.

50% of production style front fenders - Can a template of the precut fender be used as a comparision.

Also, does the headache rack need to have a mess or screen over the window or just the bar? It's all about the detial.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #119
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Ricky,
I would pass the little Jeep (barely). It has most of the back of the fender and although he cut the top part off, he replaced it with tube and flat panel so he added back to the fender.
Although they are not attached together I'd count the stuff outlined in yellow as his fender:
Will a flare count, it does everything the fender does.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Will a flare count, it does everything the fender does.
I miss you Ricky.. You ask good questions
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/290744-sorrca-competition-rules-release-class-specs-scale-points.html
Posted By For Type Date
Official new scale rules 2011 - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:20 AM