Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #121
www.team3sixrc.com

A fender is a permanent part of the actual body. A fender flare is an add on used mainly for wider tires and to help contol splatter where a mud flap would aid in this on a normal fender.

Im not on the rules committee, but I will say judging from the picture that the fender is more than 50% missing since the normal factory fender of that version caps down and front. It sometimes comes with flares as an accs. Package. But if you include the addition of the frame rail along the fender line, I would say that makes up for it.

Look, it is a hard description to pin down since it is left up to the event judge. In my opinion this rule needs to be cleaned up so the rule will stick no matter what event you go to. You wont beable to only allow it for jeeps. Because then you'll have why this and not that issue.

I think the best way to cure this issue and make it so it fits the respect of the class to allow more than 50% as long as the frame rail or manufactured part is added to keep the appearance and look and fit the rule specs.

I applause you all for your working together on the rules, but rest assured these rules will need a bit more ironing out. Maybe next year these rules will be altered, but as far as this year goes. Everyone should build the trucks to the rules
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #122
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Maybe a simple fix to the rule would be

Must have 7 of the following:

50% of the production style hood
50% of the production style fenders
50% of the production style
Roof/Roll Cage
Windshield and Frame
Rear Quarter Panels
Doors/Half Doors
Bed/Cargo Area
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #123
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Will a flare count, it does everything the fender does.
Rule says fender ... flare is not a fender.

Although it is somewaht vague, "50%" is the best we have unless yall want to start whipping out scales and/or calculating surface area. I don't think anyone wants that.

An easy solution to the problem: instead of trying to get it right at 50% and pushing the limit, leave a lot more so there is no question.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #124
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
Rules seem pretty straight forward. I did come across a couple questions.

50% of production grill. - Does this include headlights or just grill. See attached pic.

50% of production style front fenders - Can a template of the precut fender be used as a comparision.

Also, does the headache rack need to have a mess or screen over the window or just the bar? It's all about the detial.

-Rule says grill ... nothing about headlights.

-If you are concerned that your rig may be illegal, I'm sure that would be appreciated by the judge. But remember, unless we actually start calculating surface area ... there is some gray area. the best thing you can do is leave more than 50% so there is no question.

Every headache rack I have seen has mesh or slats. Otherwise it may be a utility rack (or part) .... not sure though. Have never seen one with just a bar. Got any pics?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #125
DOOH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
It would not be considered part of the roof.

Although integrated to a roll bar/cage, it's added on and not part of the main structure. It's actually scored differently too (roof top light bar -1).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Better talk your other committee members. They are telling people different about this same question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Are you sure about this??

Bumpers are scored different in class 2 but are used as a measuring point..

Maybe we need to clarify this section a little better.
It seems we have a conflict of interpretation, understandable.

Can you (Rules Committee Members) please make a final decision on this together. Internal vote maybe?

and, with the class 2 rigs allowing the bumpers and stingers as part of the measurements it might not be a bad idea to add something like "and not be overly exaggerated in size in order to distort vehicles legal measurements". Probably only a matter of time before you see a 6" stinger/bumper.

This could also aide in the restraint of 2" light bars to reach the height requirement if you so deem they are allowed, (as mentioned in a post I forgot to quote).

Thanks, keep up the great work..
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #126
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead View Post
It seems we have a conflict of interpretation, understandable.

Can you (Rules Committee Members) please make a final decision on this together. Internal vote maybe?

and, with the class 2 rigs allowing the bumpers and stingers as part of the measurements it might not be a bad idea to add something like "and not be overly exaggerated in size in order to distort vehicles legal measurements". Probably only a matter of time before you see a 6" stinger/bumper.

This could also aide in the restraint of 2" light bars to reach the height requirement if you so deem they are allowed, (as mentioned in a post I forgot to quote).

Thanks, keep up the great work..
We are talking about it right now.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #127
DOOH!!!

Quote:
We are talking about it right now.
Sweetness.. Thanks Guys..
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Yes, as MTHead, I think allowing up to a certain height for an --integrated-- as in not removable light bar should be considered. This still prevents the dreaded 2" tall light bar, and those that remove the lights for clearance would not be able to include that in the chassis measurements.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #129
Old guy

Quote:
Rule says fender ... flare is not a fender.
Thanks ,just wanted to know the intent. It didn't say flares not included. Cause in my opinion a flare is the same as a fender like the little red jeeps tubing became a fender.

I just want to know how to call it.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #130
Pebble Pounder

So this is my thaught on this.If you can pinch the nose on a truck cab you should be able to cut the fenders on jeep style bodies.Its pretty much the same thing.the jeep fenders are more horizontal than vertical.If I start with a new bodie and leave the thin top of the fender or not it really makes no differance.Just a week spot to break off the bodie.
Craig cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #131
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig cw View Post
So this is my thaught on this.If you can pinch the nose on a truck cab you should be able to cut the fenders on jeep style bodies.Its pretty much the same thing.the jeep fenders are more horizontal than vertical.If I start with a new bodie and leave the thin top of the fender or not it really makes no differance.Just a week spot to break off the bodie.
I agree with you 100%. But what about all the other bodys.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #132
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
A fender is a permanent part of the actual body. A fender flare is an add on used mainly for wider tires and to help contol splatter where a mud flap would aid in this on a normal fender.

Im not on the rules committee, but I will say judging from the picture that the fender is more than 50% missing since the normal factory fender of that version caps down and front. It sometimes comes with flares as an accs. Package. But if you include the addition of the frame rail along the fender line, I would say that makes up for it.

Look, it is a hard description to pin down since it is left up to the event judge. In my opinion this rule needs to be cleaned up so the rule will stick no matter what event you go to. You wont beable to only allow it for jeeps. Because then you'll have why this and not that issue.

I think the best way to cure this issue and make it so it fits the respect of the class to allow more than 50% as long as the frame rail or manufactured part is added to keep the appearance and look and fit the rule specs.

I applause you all for your working together on the rules, but rest assured these rules will need a bit more ironing out. Maybe next year these rules will be altered, but as far as this year goes. Everyone should build the trucks to the rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I agree with you 100%. But what about all the other bodys.
This kinda why I said this. does it not make sence that this would be allowed if a frame rail to the fender was added or instead of having the fender part of the body a metal one was made to replicate it??
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #133
RCC Addict

I still don't agree with the tire rules but that's just me and i'll need to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
This kinda why I said this. does it not make sence that this would be allowed if a frame rail to the fender was added or instead of having the fender part of the body a metal one was made to replicate it??
Well here is something to consider, If a body is scratch built where do you determine what is or is not part of the "body"?

The Willy's i build a while back is a good example

The front fenders are integrated into the chassis but the original fenders were never removed from the body as i built it without them.

I believe the line needs to be drawn at the face value of the vehicle, if the fenders have the look of the real vehicle they are representing it shouldn't matter what they are made of or what they are attached to.
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #134
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
When you pinch the nose of a truck you are narrowing the front grill and the front of the fenders get pulled in.

On a Jeep, the grill is already narrow and when you cut off the front of the fender ... you essentially get the same benefit as a pinch front truck... and it's a lot less work.

Lots of guys that run trail Jeeps go with a tube fender that keeps the "flat" top part and beef it with tube. Doing that in this case will most likely keep you good for class 2.

So if you are insistent on being in class 2, flat fender it (add tube if you are worried about strength).

If you are insistent on building a replica of that black 1:1 Jeep that you should plan on it being in class 3.

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #135
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
Well here is something to consider, If a body is scratch built where do you determine what is or is not part of the "body"?

The Willy's i build a while back is a good example

The front fenders are integrated into the chassis but the original fenders were never removed from the body as i built it without them.

I believe the line needs to be drawn at the face value of the vehicle, if the fenders have the look of the real vehicle they are representing it shouldn't matter what they are made of or what they are attached to.

On a scratch built body, I'd base my assessment on what the 1:1 vehicle would have looked like.

The green parts you have there replace the fenders and although I cannot see the side of that, probably are enough for me to pass if for class 2.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #136
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=Locked Up;2850036]When you pinch the nose of a truck you are narrowing the front grill and front of the fenders.

On a Jeep, the grill is already narrow and when you cut off the front of the fender ... you essentially get the same benefit as a pinch front truck... and it's a lot less work.

So because I choose to run a jeep bodie I don't get the same benifits as a Truck bodie.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #137
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
So because I choose to run a jeep bodie I don't get the same benifits as a Truck bodie.
How do you figure?

What benefit does a truck body have over a Jeep?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #138
Pebble Pounder

Hey Locked up,
I can see this is going nowere.I'm just gonna let it go.Thanks for all your input on the subject.
I may not agree with it,but I get it.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #139
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey Locked up,
I can see this is going nowere.I'm just gonna let it go.Thanks for all your input on the subject.
I may not agree with it,but I get it.
We are discussing this..

thanks for your input it is helpful.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #140
Pebble Pounder

Hey sloppy,
Thanks for letting me know that.I'll sit back and see what comes of this subject.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/290744-sorrca-competition-rules-release-class-specs-scale-points.html
Posted By For Type Date
Official new scale rules 2011 - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:20 AM