Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: EeePee's CR-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Hmmm, maybe I can fit the FXR and a Spektrum mini receiver inside the Slash's waterproof receiver box.
Don't gut the slash, i am pretty sure they would fit
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Beauty!

And no way is the Tekin waterproof. Just lucky.

i was worried about my super duty, it was covered as was my futaba receiver. the truck started acting funny rite after the 1st dip.it would only go into reverse once in awhile.i thoughr for sure it was fried.at the same time my transmitter batteries were going dead so i was hoping it was that.

the truck sat for a week before i could check out if anything happened.it turned out some how the novak super duty became un programed. i re programed it and everything seems ok.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #83
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Don't gut the slash
Eh, it's got a VXL system in it, so the water proof box is just taking up space in the truck, so I might as well put it to good use now.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #84
MODERATOR™

Quote:
... so I might as well put it to good use now.
And I did.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #85
Rock Stacker

How did the XL-5 hold up? No problems??
Steve182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #86

Last edited by EeePee; 10-11-2008 at 12:45 PM.
nakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #87
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve182 View Post
How did the XL-5 hold up? No problems??
No problems. Double pump reverse is not great, but I can deal with it. No drag brake either, but meh. Brakes work good though. It reminds me of a Novak XRS, which I used for a while.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

Wow! look liked its a submarine than a crawler, how long was it in there? did you have to stuff up to dry?
jadama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

EeePee, I can see you have experience w/ both the AX-10 and the CR-01. I have an AX-10 and my friend has a CR-01. Given your experience, can a CR-01 be modified to be comparable to an AX-10? I know this may be difficult to answer and I'm not asking you which is better but what's your initial take on this.

The modifications I've done to my AX-10 are fairly minimal: Panther tires, longer top links, softer springs, nearly no torque twist and can climb a 60 degree incline. My buddy’s CR-01 has the sway bars removed, weights in the wheels, and proline tires. My AX-10 seems to be far superior and I think my buddy is getting discouraged w/ the CR-01.

So I’m hoping w/ your experience, or anyone else that wishes to offer advice, we can make the CR-01 perform as well as my AX-10?

Thanks In advance
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
EeePee, I can see you have experience w/ both the AX-10 and the CR-01. I have an AX-10 and my friend has a CR-01. Given your experience, can a CR-01 be modified to be comparable to an AX-10? I know this may be difficult to answer and I'm not asking you which is better but what's your initial take on this.

The modifications I've done to my AX-10 are fairly minimal: Panther tires, longer top links, softer springs, nearly no torque twist and can climb a 60 degree incline. My buddy’s CR-01 has the sway bars removed, weights in the wheels, and proline tires. My AX-10 seems to be far superior and I think my buddy is getting discouraged w/ the CR-01.

So I’m hoping w/ your experience, or anyone else that wishes to offer advice, we can make the CR-01 perform as well as my AX-10?

Thanks In advance

While I would love to see what other people's opinion are on what can be done to make the CR-01 better (as I have one too), keep in mind that the axial is meant to be a comp crawler and the CR-01 is meant to be a scale crawler. IMHO, based on how each was designed for, the CR-01 will never perform as well as an AX-10.

With that said, to get my CR-01 better than stock, I have followed many suggestions from many threads (ie Eepee's mods, JIA mod's) and of course suggestions I received from my own plea's for help!!

Of course all the suggestions add to the improvement of the CR-01, but IMHO the one single best thing that I did was getting panther cougar tires.

Good luck to your friend. Hopefully he tones down his expectations a bit, then he'll be so much happier with his CR-01.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #91
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadama View Post
Wow! look liked its a submarine than a crawler, how long was it in there? did you have to stuff up to dry?
Yeah it's some fun shit. It was in and out of water for almost an hour. I opened up the receiver case afterwards and did find a few drops of water. My guess is that water snuck past the bolt holes I used to attach it to the truck. A lil dab of silicone should take care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
Given your experience, can a CR-01 be modified to be comparable to an AX-10?
I'll try to keep this short as I can, otherwise I'll get into more details than anyone will read, and I'll probably drift off track. When I first got my Axial it closely resembled my comp TLT truck, but it needed a few tweaks to get it on the same level. Those tweaks were simple mods like electronics relocation, little link geometry tweak, spring rates and tire weights. That's about it really.

The CR-01 just isn't playing the same game as the Axial is, it's not even trying to. I don't think Tamiya planned on it being a competitive truck in the 2.2 class. The big chassis rails mounted at the highest point possible kills it right off the bat. The transmission is cool, no doubt, but it's big and a disconnect for digs looks like it'd be a real pain as space becomes an issue quickly. Then the real killer is all the additional plastic pieces they put on the axles to make them connect to the truck. They just did it wrong unless you're going to use all the stock pieces or use none of them and figure something out. Especially compared to Axial's design of bare minimum mounting necessities. Three posts for the upper link mount, and then the ones for the links and shocks. It's bare minimum, but perfectly functional.

Could the CR-01 be really competitive? Well it needs to be longer, but that's easy. It needs a comp type chassis and a suspension makeover. That's probably not too tough, and as far as the axles go with all their extra pieces, well maybe you can leave it all off and use one of Tamiya's suspension stays from the TLT and screw it right to the axle case and maybe still use their upper link thing. The tranny might work fine, but no digs I'd say. So you gotta drive it really well to place well, or swap trannies to something else.

Maybe your buddy would enjoy making his truck more competitive, personally, that's not why I bought mine. Knowing what the truck was likely capable of before I bought it I didn't really have expectations of it to ever be a top performer on the rocks in a comp. But cruising it around on the trail or scaler comps and nothing too hard on the rocks, the truck has proven to be really fun, and half way decently capable.

Enjoy the CR-01 for what it is, but it's not a comp truck in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Thanks EeePee for the quick response. To summarize what you said, it would take a lot of effort to get the CR-01 to the level of my Axial. So just enjoy it for what it is. That's too bad, I wish the CR-01 performed as well as it looks.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #93
MODERATOR™

Well that depends on what level your AX10 is.

Hey, anything is possible, but in this case, not without some pretty major modifying, or so it seems. At the very least, I'd put some real tires on there, like Panthers, and stretch the wheelbase to 12 1/4 inches or so, and try it out.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #94
MODERATOR™

Oh, and I just got the new Tamiya Barrel spring set. I'm gonna go put those on right nah!

RC CR01 Barrel Spring Set
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hey guys.

The stock tires just aren't working well enough in the trail comps I'm competing in with this thing. But I really liked the look and size of em. I grabbed my wheels and tires from my 2.2 Clod, weighted with BBs and all. They actually tuck in a little more than the stock set up, good. Old Moabs and HPI Nitro something wheels. I stuck a mini Moab I made on the back.

Question about weighting the wheels. How do you like the BBs compared to using the Sticky back Lead weights? Do you still put foam rings in with them? Copper BB's or Airsoft? Have not built mine yet, not sure which way I want to do it.
Thanks
Jeephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #96
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeephead View Post
Question about weighting the wheels. How do you like the BBs compared to using the Sticky back Lead weights? Do you still put foam rings in with them? Copper BB's or Airsoft? Have not built mine yet, not sure which way I want to do it.
Thanks
Overall, I like BBs better than stick on weights from a functionality perspective. But in a trail truck, they're not a good choice at all. As soon as you hit water and it gets in the tires, they start to rust and clump up. And getting all that water out of the wheels at the end of the day is not fun, and you can't ever get it all out, so the next time you drive, the BBs are stuck together. So sticky back weights would be my choice if you're getting wet or muddy.

I still have foam rings in there, they're just trimmed up so the diameter isn't so much so the BBs have a space in which they can roll around in. Took a couple trims to get it where I liked it, not too little of a trim, and not too much.

I use Daisy .177 cal zinc coated steel BBs from years ago.

I'd use stick on weights. BBs technically might function better at keeping the weight as low as possible, but stick on weights are really easy and convenient, especially if you're hitting the water.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #97
MODERATOR™

But as you can see here, I'm using a different set up. One in which has no wheel weights in there at all!

Here's those springs I got. The Barrel Spring set. I put the same spring rates in place. Yellow in front, Blue in back.

Look, different rear upper links.

An initial impression was easy. They weren't as progressively rising in rate as I had thought they might be. But you can feel them get stiffer as you continue to squeeze em. On the truck, what I had expected to happen, did. It sat a little bit lower. The initial rate seems slightly less than the rate of the stock springs. I could tell by looking at the shock shafts also. So then I knew what to expect once I start cruising around.

I really wish there wasn't the play in the cantilever thing. Some one piece aluminum replacements would be great. Anyone make those?

So, first drive shows me that the initial movement is softer, and then it does get stiffer as the truck articulates. Softer than my previous set up, then stiffer than my previous set up. I think I might try the stiffer springs in front, but without a stabilizer bar, and the medium springs in back, with the stabi bar.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #98
Rock Stacker

Are those short version of the barrel springs (#54085) or regular barrel springs(#54084)?
MonsterDDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #99
MODERATOR™

Regulars.

Trying the Yellows up front with smaller stabi bar, and Red in back with bigger stabi.

Interesting. Sits lower. Flexes more. Tires stay on the ground more.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Cory that submarine makes me jealous, wish i could do it with mine, but i couldn't live without the novak goat's power, and you know water and those particular electronics are a no-no, i will definetly do your u-boat commander mods to the unimog when i get it.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote