Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project: TINY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 AM   #121
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
is that a typo? don't you mean "letting"

Nope, I typed it right. MAKING me take it. Last time we were in Kuaui, I had withdrawls looking at all those rocks. She told me to take it then, but we were there for each other so I felt bad about doing that.

This time when we talked about going the first thing she said is I must take my crawler this time. She's good to me.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 02:22 AM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation

was the folsom event today?
If so, how did this rig do?
And where are the pics? lol
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #123
RCC Addict

The event was Sunday. It turned out to be a GREAT event. So many people, so much fun.

Going into the trip I tried 2 different Rooster controllers and both with problems. It may have been a motor problem though. I tried it out on Saturday and felt that it was too difficult to control or drive. So I robbed the Mamba Max and 55T out of my Jeep and used a 7cell 2/3a battery pack. It woke TINY up in drive control performance.

My goal for the event was to finish all 3 courses and not break. The axle held up fine and it performed better than I could have expected. At only 1.875" ground clearance, the center of gravity is pretty low. It was very stable and despite running my Moabs against the Losi Rock Claws everyone else had, I think it held in there pretty well.

Pictures will be up for the event, but I ran near the end of the day so there might not be any of it. Actually, Brandon took some on my second course, so I should have a couple. Lance took video of it on course 1, so maybe we can see some nice action there.

Overall, even in an unfinished state, I very happy. I think for performance reasons, I will run the above combo, but for looks, I will throw in the Revolver 2 /2 Mamba 25 combo so that you can't see all of the drive controls for it.

-Sam
Old 10-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #124
Nor-CalRCRC

Sam, I was very impressed to see how well Tiny worked.

Way more capable than I would have guessed. Very nice and good job driving.

Yes, it will be in the video.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #125
RCC Addict

Oh poor guy the wife is MAKING you take the crawler with you on the Honeymoon...You need to HOLLAR When you come up man so we can see how that thing hooks up to some LAVA!!!!...Cant wait..Congrats on the wedding
AIPOHAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #126
RCC Addict

Lance - Thanks man. I wouldn't have guessed it to work that well either. I need to take some tech tips from your rig to really make it work better.

AIPOHAKU - Thanks on the wedding congrats, but we are actually photographing weddings. We are supposed to photograph a wedding on one of the islands later next year. So I would love to hook up with you for some lava crawling for sure. Funny enough though, we went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon and once again she told me that I should take a crawler with me, but I thought that was too weird on our honeymoon. Aaack, I missed out. There is so much great crawling there. If there were to be a world series of R/C crawling, that place could be the spot to be.

-Sam
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #127
I wanna be Dave

omg that's funny

cant wait to check out tiny, I like that lexan motor detail cover
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #128
RCC Addict

hey sam quick question. i noticed your shocks are cut all the way to the cap which gets rid of the o-ring seat... does this set-up leak? or how are you preventing it from leaking? I just cut mine tonight but only up to the o-ring seat but i would love it if i could get rid of it and the lip on the cap. then paint the cap and the rod end blue... soooo cool. just like a fox racing shock 8-)
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #129
RCC Addict

Quote:
hey sam quick question. i noticed your shocks are cut all the way to the cap which gets rid of the o-ring seat... does this set-up leak? or how are you preventing it from leaking? I just cut mine tonight but only up to the o-ring seat but i would love it if i could get rid of it and the lip on the cap. then paint the cap and the rod end blue... soooo cool. just like a fox racing shock 8-)

It absolutely leaks. I am currently running 1000 wt. oil and for the weight of the vehicle, this oil selection seems to be a lucky first try in the shocks. However, it leaks at the threads and at the base where the piston comes out. Awesome TLT shocks

On the threaded end, if you get the oil volume juuuuuuuuust right, you can then use a thread sealer (teflon tape for example) to elminate the o-ring. I don't have a suggestion though for the piston end. I didn't bother yet because I am still in a test phase. I only ran the one comp and it now sits on the top shelf until I can find time to finish the project :-(

By the way, I never did see pics of your axle project. Got any?

-Sam
Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #130
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam View Post
By the way, I never did see pics of your axle project. Got any?

-Sam
yeah i know. i've been too busy with school to upload any pics and make updates to my thread. however i have got some build time in here and there. I am currently painting the chassis. got a coat on this evening and i'll put another coat on tonight probably. So as soon as the chassis is dry i'm going to do a big update with the chassis and rear axle and some mock-ups. i'd say expect the update at the soonest tomorrow night and at the latest this weekend.

by the way does your rear axle run perfectly smooth? mine is relatively smooth but it does have a very slight bind to it compared to the stock axle. i'm going to run it anyway though.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #131
RCC Addict

Quote:
by the way does your rear axle run perfectly smooth? mine is relatively smooth but it does have a very slight bind to it compared to the stock axle. i'm going to run it anyway though.

Perfect? TLT parts aren't perfect, but as compared to the stock TLT housing, I think it spins smooth. Actually, because this was a prototype, I threw in an old set of the ring and pinion that had a slightly gnarled pinion. I didn't want to ruin a good set if the axle didn't work out under load. Oddly enough, it did work and seems to be smooth. It was all a mater of shimming of course to get the pinion preload just right which was pretty easy on this one.

-Sam
Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #132
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation update

Any updates on this?
Maybe some pics or vid?
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Sam what happened to the pede rims they look killer on that rig !! this is the coolest tuber on RCC no doubt !!! thanks for sharing..
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #134
RCC Addict

Well I don't have much of an update other than it is still working. I stopped building it at the moment since we are in comp season at the moment. So I am keeping it in competition mode for a while, but still working on things for it.

Here is what came in:
From RCP Crawlers - Awesome service by the way. Fastest shipping I have seen.
- Stainless Fat-Rock C-s. (damn beefy)
- Losi Rock Claws (gotta have those since my Moabs are getting a tad bald and rounded after 2 years of running them
- RC4wd special edition bead locks. I wanted these for function, but they are so bling and sweet I hate the idea of rashing them up.

For now I am not running the bead locks or Claws because the offset of the rims is too shallow for this chassis. I need to fix that though. I will have pics of those soon.

From B&C Customs
- Brandon painted up the bug motor so that the next time you see TINY, it will actually have the VW motor in it covering up things. Great job Brandon and many thanks.

Because I like the 55t motor so much or one of equal performance, I am kind of hesitant to switch it out, so I am thinking of either making a custom plate and turning my motor around in the LosiXXX tranny so it is under the bug motor, or using a R2D2 or Axial tranny with the motor facing backwards. Just need to find a deal on one of these two I guess.

As for your question rcjeepbuilder, I plan on using those pede rims for the realism version. However, if the RC4wd Krawlers that are coming out are as large as the Rock Stompers, then I will have to down grade to the 1.9s for tires thus me needing to find a different rim. Suggestions anyone? It needs to be similar to the Pede rims though.

Functionality testing. I am still shocked to say that the rig works really well for what it is. While not "comp" friendly in design, I seem to hold my own on the Nor-Cal circuit. In the last comp I actually got the second best score of the day on one of the courses only being beat by 1 back up point. The backups really add up because I am running some weak servo, so I need to upgrade and also pop in dig.

The axle has been working really well thus far. My pinion gear came loose on the shaft, but I guess that is a common problem, so I just used the Loctite 680 like I used to make the axles and fixed it in place. Perfect

The suspension, 3 link w/panhard front and rear, has been working well. So far very predictable in its movement altough limited due to the TLT shocks which leak like mad around the bottom of the piston. There isn't any warning though when it goes to roll though. It is very stable then BAM, it flips. Just need to learn the limits.

Overall I am pretty happy with it. 9th place out of 40 something in the first event and 6th place in the last event. Not bad considering the group I run with. After running 6 courses and the axle still holding up, my next target is a top 5 finish and ultimately a 1st place, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Just finishing is challenge enough.

Onto the comp pics. These were at Bean Hollow last Saturday.

And no, I don't mind pushing it a bit even if it isn't done yet. BTW the cones are pointed backwards. I am not going the wrong way.

I will have more finished pictures as I go, but for now enjoy the action shots in its unfinished state.

-Sam
Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #135
RCC Addict

aw its cute

but on a more serious note. that thing is awesome! excellent work. any chance of video? besides the one in your living room

Edit: what about turning down the lip on the shock caps and taking the rest of the gold finish off? i did that to mine and love the way they look. however i probably wont use them because i hear they leak.

Last edited by RCMFMaxxMan; 12-04-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #136
RCC Addict

The lip will be taken off, just haven't done it yet. There was some of TINY in the video that Lance made from Folsom at about the 10 minute mark:

Nor-Cal Fall/Wint. Comp 1, Folsom Lake

There should be some more in his next video from the Bean. Nothing that I have taken though.

-Sam
Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #137
RCC Addict

I just looked. Seems that the prototypes have just arrived at RC4wd testing. Shortly they will be available. I can't wait.

With those tires and this version of the paint job, I can't wait.

-Sam
Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #138
Im Brandon

Who put those cones down

Thanks for letting me take pics with your AWESOME camera! I love that thing (Christmas is around the corner you know)
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #139
RCC Addict

wow those tires are incredible! i'm super stoked now.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #140
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

so sam i heard through the grapevine that you have a wankel rotory powered 1:1? 13B? peripheral port? you got some pics? shit i used to hae a 91 miata with a 13b(carbon apex seals, DFI, mustang cobra fuel pump, t3/t4, some port work done by Eric Rhee from checkpoint in Chatsworth, ETC. etc EtC.) 400 @ the wheels fun for sliding, till i crashed it.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote