Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Toyofast's CC-01 'Jero that goes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Looks good! I think I am going to have to try that lift on the a-arms. I have been running that Savage bumper on mine but recently took it off to get a better approach angle at an upcoming comp. I like they way yours is mounted up high like that. I bet it doesn't hurt your approach at all.

nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
Looks good! I think I am going to have to try that lift on the a-arms. I have been running that Savage bumper on mine but recently took it off to get a better approach angle at an upcoming comp. I like they way yours is mounted up high like that. I bet it doesn't hurt your approach at all.

I think it still gets in the way too often. I'd like to move it back closer to the grill/headlights but that means the winch would have to get stuck inside the grill and I don't want to cut the grill out yet.
Although, it's just plastic.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #23
On the lookout for Rocks

Looks good. How much weight are you running in your wheels? Are you running the RC4WD 4:1 GR?
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Looks good. How much weight are you running in your wheels? Are you running the RC4WD 4:1 GR?

I have about 4-6oz up in the nose section of the chassis and I have about 4oz in each wheel up front.

Yes, I am running the 4:1 RC4WD unit. Seems to be working great as long as I maintain it. I apply grease after about 10-12 runs and it helps to keep the noise down.

Only issue I have been having is that the top gear case, the one that holds the motor and all the gears in place tends flex and allow the gears to skip/grind. I think the only thing to stop it is to have an aluminum tub and an aluminum top case... no flexing from that.

I drive this thing for about 2 hours each night in my backyard course. It seems to be holding up really well other than the top gear case issue.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I have about 4-6oz up in the nose section of the chassis and I have about 4oz in each wheel up front.

Yes, I am running the 4:1 RC4WD unit. Seems to be working great as long as I maintain it. I apply grease after about 10-12 runs and it helps to keep the noise down.

Only issue I have been having is that the top gear case, the one that holds the motor and all the gears in place tends flex and allow the gears to skip/grind. I think the only thing to stop it is to have an aluminum tub and an aluminum top case... no flexing from that.

I drive this thing for about 2 hours each night in my backyard course. It seems to be holding up really well other than the top gear case issue.

I told you u need to put bolts thru the cover with nuts.
isuzu4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuzu4x4 View Post
I told you u need to put bolts thru the cover with nuts.

I know, I know. I just don't like having to do that extra work. Doing that adds like an extra 5 minutes to removing the motor

I did replace all the coarse thread Tamiya screws with nice 3mm hardware. Longer screws that hold onto more plastic. So far the last couple packs through it I haven't heard a gear slip. Although my new mud pit in my backyard course doesn't cause much of an issue since the tires can't reach the bottom They just spin.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know, I know. I just don't like having to do that extra work. Doing that adds like an extra 5 minutes to removing the motor

I did replace all the coarse thread Tamiya screws with nice 3mm hardware. Longer screws that hold onto more plastic. So far the last couple packs through it I haven't heard a gear slip. Although my new mud pit in my backyard course doesn't cause much of an issue since the tires can't reach the bottom They just spin.
That's what i did on my fj cruiser /cc-01, i am running and og revolver with the gd-600 reduction unit and i stripped some gears from the flexing of the motor/gear case cover, i put new gears in it and oversized bolts and it has been running strong since
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Carnage update....

-Even with longer 3mm screws, I can't keep the gears from slipping when going in reverse, perhaps some fresh gears might solve the problem.

-Both dogbones are trashed. They were slightly bent but now, they are beyond help. As of right now, I have a 2wd Pajero. Until I can come up with a redesigned front suspension that uses better dogbones or possibly some CVD's, this thing is going to sit on the shelf.... kills me to say or even do that because this is the MOST fun rig I have ever had.

-Pulled out an upper camber link. I think the threads were too short and along with the overly bent dogbones, it just cause it to completely fail.

Pictures!

Talk about some sweet flex!

Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #29
On the lookout for Rocks

Go with some TA-02 universals. They work really good. Only place that I can find them in overseas, though.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-ta0...th=595_744_754

I am gonna also get some black axle carriers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported
Old 07-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Go with some TA-02 universals. They work really good. Only place that I can find them in overseas, though.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-ta0...th=595_744_754

Will those work? Between the 3mm lift and preloaded shocks the angles are awful on my rig... that's why I keep looking for the cheap and easy way to add wider A-arms and better dogbones or CVD's.

I'll keep those in mind if I decided to give up on my plans. Thanks for the link!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Carnage update....

-Even with longer 3mm screws, I can't keep the gears from slipping when going in reverse, perhaps some fresh gears might solve the problem.

-Both dogbones are trashed. They were slightly bent but now, they are beyond help. As of right now, I have a 2wd Pajero. Until I can come up with a redesigned front suspension that uses better dogbones or possibly some CVD's, this thing is going to sit on the shelf.... kills me to say or even do that because this is the MOST fun rig I have ever had.

-Pulled out an upper camber link. I think the threads were too short and along with the overly bent dogbones, it just cause it to completely fail.

Pictures!

Talk about some sweet flex!

Do all stock cc01 face this risk? I certainly don't want mine to end up like this... Are there upgrade kits that can be considered as an investment on the long run?
jinspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #32
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Will those work? Between the 3mm lift and preloaded shocks the angles are awful on my rig... that's why I keep looking for the cheap and easy way to add wider A-arms and better dogbones or CVD's.

I'll keep those in mind if I decided to give up on my plans. Thanks for the link!
They should work fine. You might will have to run an o-ring or two on the diff side.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinspade View Post
Do all stock cc01 face this risk? I certainly don't want mine to end up like this... Are there upgrade kits that can be considered as an investment on the long run?
No, He has oversized tires, suspension lift(causing alot of stress on the entire front susp and dogbones) and home build camber links. The stock setup will handle alot of abuse before you have to worry about anything like this happening.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinspade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
No, He has oversized tires, suspension lift(causing alot of stress on the entire front susp and dogbones) and home build camber links. The stock setup will handle alot of abuse before you have to worry about anything like this happening.

Yep.

I log about 2 hours a day on this CC-01, well... until yesterday I guess. I guess this is the price to pay for modifying a rig though. It's all good. I actually drove the 2.2 rig for about 10 minutes before I got bored. First time I've driven that in about 2-3 weeks.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Okay....

This is the 3rd dogbone that has gone "south" on me. I do drive this thing a lot and I just find it funny that I keep having the same issue over and over yet hardly ever hear of anyone else doing this to their CC-01 rig.

(Left) Brand new unit, less than 2 minutes of drive time on XL Trail Doctors. (Center) Rather abuse unit that is bent plus slightly twisted. (Right) Very slightly bent but twisted, hard to see in picture but twisted a good 60*.

Now, tonight the one that actually broke might be due to my modification to allow for a little bit more steering. I was able to actually make it turn pretty damn good. By cutting into the C-hub and removing the steering stop and a little extra, the knuckles will actually move a decent distance.... might be too much steering for the stock dogbone setup though

Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drmopar View Post
swingshafts may or maynot fix it.. how in the HECK did you shear a dogbone off? Not like these things have steels gears do they?
I know you didn't read the thread, you've made 20+ posts in the last hour or so.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

I personally love the pick up look.
Thats what i have done with mine.
It needs a new paint job though.
willashcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Okay....

.... I was able to actually make it turn pretty damn good. By cutting into the C-hub and removing the steering stop and a little extra, the knuckles will actually move a decent distance.... might be too much steering for the stock dogbone setup though

Do go into detail on this mod, i am very interested and would do it to my fj cruiser, cvd's would be a must i think.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by willashcroft View Post
I personally love the pick up look.
Thats what i have done with mine.
It needs a new paint job though.
That looks great. What did you use as panels to seal it off? I haven't closed mine off yet since I can't decide how or what style I want to go with.... Half-cab it like yours, hard shell fast back, soft top fast back style or full on soft top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Do go into detail on this mod, i am very interested and would do it to my fj cruiser, cvd's would be a must i think.
I'll I did was grind down the turn stops on the backside of the C-hubs and adjust the tierods so that it has a bit of toe in. Between the two, it seems to allow more steering throw in either direction. Now, just need to fix the whole steering mechanics on this little rig. I think I might have a good idea but I'll have to think it out in order to execute it properly.

Here's where I shaved down the stops....

Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Thanks

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/182040-toyofasts-cc-01-jero-goes.html
Posted By For Type Date
CC01= TA02 and TA03 Parts Compatability CONFIRMED - Page 3 - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums This thread Refback 10-05-2011 10:00 AM