Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Boss Claw Foam Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #121
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I'm guessing it's the mold release agent. Could be just general dirt from manufacturing.

Either way, cleaner tires are stickier tires.
That's right, any 1/10th scale race guy will tell you that you have to clean Losi's red compound before it really starts to work its best.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #122
Got Worms?

i use wd-40 on rovers to clean them and make them nice and sticky before comps, can i do the same for the boss claws or do i need to clean them with dish soap
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Attachment 139415
When you guys get these out of the package, you should give them a nice bath. I used half strength Simple Green, I'm sure dishsoap would work too, but wash 'em good. Couple seconds into it, the tire was covered in brown Simple Green.
x2 on the 50/50 diluted Simple Green

I also scrub my tires lightly with a semi-stiff bristle brush before rinsing off the brown goo, then let them dry to tacky perfection.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
Have you tried a softer front foam? I didn't like the stock foams in the front tires on most rock. They don't wrap up enough on climbs for me
No... this was my first try. I think I nailed the rears, but you are correct... the fronts do need to be softer. I think if you go too soft you loose the great sidehilling though.

It's a little decieving because the tires are sticky and grab and wrap pretty good using only friction.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #125
RCC Addict

I just got a pack through mine. Sitting at 6.8lbs with stock foams in back on 1" slw's and 5.5 DD's upfront on 1"ers and with in 3 try, I made a line that Ive never made! Ive tried the line many many times with rovers, ex, leapords and lots of different foams setups and never have made it, but these killed it. Very impressed with them so far.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #126

I got my red boss claws few days ago. I have 1" slw revolvers in the rear no weights added with original foam. And 1,2" DH Procomp revolvers in front also no weight added with some 6" memory foams made out of some health mattress. Rear is working fine but the front foams are too slowly. I have ordered some 5.5 nova´s. My rig weights 2,65kg. Here some fotos from this evening.

moggi-samuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #127
Quarry Creeper

i just mounted up my bossclaws and like everyone says they can be a pain in the butt to mount up. i mounted them on my bully runnin 1" v1 SLWs. i put nova foams in them as was recomended by cruzin illusions. headed out now to see how they work.
Fordx4Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

So here... This was with the wrong foams in front (pink stock), good foam setup in the rear, and straight out of the package.

I have since learned that a good bath is needed before use (for me and the tires).

Click Me

Last edited by Harvo; 07-16-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #129
MODERATOR™

For you, especially.

And try again, no embedding in here.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For you, especially.

And try again, no embedding in here.
You....need a good Fonging

But thanks for the heads up on washing the mold release off the tires

Last edited by Harvo; 07-16-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #131
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
phonging
Neither Google, the iMac dictionary or myself knows what this is.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Neither Google, the iMac dictionary or myself knows what this is.
This should help FONGING

Yeah yeah... I spelled it wrong

So the video looks all choppy on Youtube . Maybe if it marinades there for a while it will smooth out.

Last edited by Harvo; 07-16-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #133
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
So here... This was with the wrong foams in front (pink stock), good foam setup in the rear, and straight out of the package.

I have since learned that a good bath is needed before use (for me and the tires).
Your front tires definitely look too stiff in that video.

Rig looks good though It will be interesting to see how the tires work for you with some softer foams.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #134
Rock Crawler

Ran some more packs through them today. The stock pink-ish foams are softening up quite a bit. I'm going to keep on running this setup. I was running on flat granite mostly. Still some tire slip here and there. But pulling crazy lines.
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #135
5th D Owner/Driver

I took 1st in our comp today with my T1E berg and was the only one running these tires. Running 3.5oz in each front with Proline 2-stage memory foams and no weight added in the rear with the Proline 2-stage memory outer/Nova inner. Temp was around 70*. Car weight is 6lbs even. Ran on granite rock. Worked very well for me today!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #136
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
I took 1st in our comp today with my T1E berg and was the only one running these tires. Running 3.5oz in each front with Proline 2-stage memory foams and no weight added in the rear with the Proline 2-stage memory outer/Nova inner. Temp was around 70*. Car weight is 6lbs even. Ran on granite rock. Worked very well for me today!
Great Job

For the guys that ran these at the Vanquish event in Colorado, how did they worK? Rumor has it that a few sets found their way into the top 5
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #137
Rock Crawler

I was at the event but my 40th was far from the top but I had a blast trying lines with the claws my rovers would never make. I ran stock pink foams in back which seemed to be golden with proline 2 stage out memory in front with Nova 5" inners and they worked good but where still a tad still until later in the day when temps went above 100. So I'm thinking just a tad softer will fix my issues with them unloading on me once they start pulling up verts and the rears are floating.
ManiacMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Great Job

For the guys that ran these at the Vanquish event in Colorado, how did they worK? Rumor has it that a few sets found their way into the top 5

X2 Curious about this as well. You'd think that the rock there would be ideal conditions for them.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #139
Quarry Creeper

Jake, I was wondering about the new "Oversized Performance Memory Foam" you posted the link to.

Are you recommending these for the fronts?

Currently I run Sedonas with Nova 5.5 dual stage foams on DH's at 16oz up front and 10oz in back.

Right now what I have to work with is:
LCC 6.5 lbs
Boss Claws
DH PRO COMPS
Stock Losi BL's
Stock pink foams
Nova 5.5 dual stage foams
Stock Losi gray foams
Stock foams from a set of Leopards
Some asst'd mystery foams

I'm going to get a set of the new Losi foams too, now the question is where to start.

At the moment I'm leaning towards DH's all around with pinks out back and Nova 5.5 dual stage foams up front.

Or ???, I'm mostly wondering about the fronts as most seem to be happy with the pink foam in back.

Thanks
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #140
RCC Addict

Quote:
Great Job

Quote:
X2 Curious about this as well. You'd think that the rock there would be ideal conditions for them.
I had excellent results all day in the 100+ degree Mile High weather.

FRONT: Losi Oversized Performance Memory foam I also used some of the grey stock Rock Claw foam. Cut a 3/8" ring and put it on the outside wall of the tire to made it a little harder. This helps the side hill a whole bunch, even 100 degree's.

Look at this pic that Blue10 took. The sidewall on the outside edge only has the grey foam and you can see how it is holding more weigh.

REAR: I used the stock pink foam that come's with the Boss Claws. I trimmed the inside edge of the foam so it would be eaiser to mount up. This really helps if your having trouble installing these on any rim.

Overall preformance was what I expected, VELCRO like traction all day long. I was pulling lines on every course that amaized me, plus the final truly showed how smooth and sticky these tires are. Sad to say I was the only one running them in the finals. I heard the others need a little more time tuning foams and getting used to all the traction!

Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote