Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures
Loading

Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 AM   #61
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Readsboro, VT
Posts: 1,917
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

I'm liking the idea of trying some PETG also, but I want to make some upgrades to my printer first. Most of what I'm reading about PETG indicates that it's going to want extruder temps that are at or above what I feel comfortable doing with mine until I get an all metal extruder. I also want to get the MOSFET in before I raise my bed temps up. I should probably get a 2nd MOSFET for my extruder too.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #62
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

I haven't seen this mentioned. A quality filament brand is key to good printing. I prefer Hatchbox and a local company called Filament Innovations.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #63
Custom Carbon Fiber
 
Robbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut :(
Posts: 4,501
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm liking the idea of trying some PETG also, but I want to make some upgrades to my printer first. Most of what I'm reading about PETG indicates that it's going to want extruder temps that are at or above what I feel comfortable doing with mine until I get an all metal extruder. I also want to get the MOSFET in before I raise my bed temps up. I should probably get a 2nd MOSFET for my extruder too.

Another thing that helped me was wrapping my extruder in an insulator and Kapton tape. When I got the kit the heat block wasnt covered with anything and would never seem to get hot enough.

Theres also a write up Ive seen of doing the same to the bottom of a heated bed. I havent done it to mine but I havent had any temp problems on the bed yet either.



Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned. A quality filament brand is key to good printing. I prefer Hatchbox and a local company called Filament Innovations.
I like the Hatchbox stuff, only problem I have with it is breaking. If I dont use the printer for a while it seems the filament breaks where it feeds into the stepper block. I could be chaffing it there too but dont think its from that.

Ive also used the 3D Solutech stuff and liked it. The normal color stuff worked well, the fancy neon colors are ok but Im never happy with the finish/appearance of them. Just look messy, not smooth like the other stuff.

I havent tried these guys yet, MatterHackers, but want to. Ive read good things about them in the past, little higher priced then others but it seems like it might be worth it.

Ive also printed in CF using the stuff Proto-Pasta. Real easy to print and setups like normal PLA. I liked it better in non stress/low stress areas, it can def be brittle to handle and if the parts small it can be too easy to snap. But it is a little lighter in weight then normal print.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #64
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I like the Hatchbox stuff, only problem I have with it is breaking. If I dont use the printer for a while it seems the filament breaks where it feeds into the stepper block. I could be chaffing it there too but dont think its from that.

Ive also used the 3D Solutech stuff and liked it. The normal color stuff worked well, the fancy neon colors are ok but Im never happy with the finish/appearance of them. Just look messy, not smooth like the other stuff.

I havent tried these guys yet, MatterHackers, but want to. Ive read good things about them in the past, little higher priced then others but it seems like it might be worth it.

Ive also printed in CF using the stuff Proto-Pasta. Real easy to print and setups like normal PLA. I liked it better in non stress/low stress areas, it can def be brittle to handle and if the parts small it can be too easy to snap. But it is a little lighter in weight then normal print.
Which type of Hatchbox breaks on you - ABS, PLA, or PETG?

I've been meaning to try Proto-Pasta.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #65
Custom Carbon Fiber
 
Robbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut :(
Posts: 4,501
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Which type of Hatchbox breaks on you - ABS, PLA, or PETG?

I've been meaning to try Proto-Pasta.
PETG ..... its about 5mm up from where it gos into the stepper block. Ive tried leavign the head centered thinking it was pressure from the twirl from being spooled up, still breaks. Its more of a pain the ass re-feeding the filament but it works fine when Im using the machine.


I liked using the Pasta stuff, plus they're a small company it seems thats in the filament business because of passion for it and not the dollars. Seems like they got some new stuff since I last looked too.

This looks interesting.
https://www.proto-pasta.com/collecti...ant=1204196648
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #66
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
PETG ..... its about 5mm up from where it gos into the stepper block. Ive tried leavign the head centered thinking it was pressure from the twirl from being spooled up, still breaks. Its more of a pain the ass re-feeding the filament but it works fine when Im using the machine.


I liked using the Pasta stuff, plus they're a small company it seems thats in the filament business because of passion for it and not the dollars. Seems like they got some new stuff since I last looked too.

This looks interesting.
https://www.proto-pasta.com/collecti...ant=1204196648
Hmm I've never had that problem with PETG. I have had it with PLA, but PLA gets brittle when you leave it out because it takes on moisture.

That's why I like Filament Innovations. Small, local company and the guys are nice, responsive and passionate about 3D printing. Plus the filament I've tried works very well.

These two items were printed with their Diamond Line blue filament. No post processing.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #67
Custom Carbon Fiber
 
Robbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut :(
Posts: 4,501
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Hmm I've never had that problem with PETG. I have had it with PLA, but PLA gets brittle when you leave it out because it takes on moisture.

That's why I like Filament Innovations. Small, local company and the guys are nice, responsive and passionate about 3D printing. Plus the filament I've tried works very well.

These two items were printed with their Diamond Line blue filament. No post processing.

Those are pretty clean for sure. Could be the colors Ive use too, neon green and yellow. That blue is sharp.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,668
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
ABS sucks IMHO. You need to put your printer in an enclosure or have it in a tightly environmentally controlled area. I prefer PETG over ABS by a long shot. And yes, the Select Mini will print PETG.


What heat settings do you use ?
Speed and thickness ?


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #69
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
What heat settings do you use ?
Speed and thickness ?


Hang up and Drive
For the print above? I'm honestly not sure. I typically print slow and use thin layers on most things unless I don't care about the look. I can share my generic settings when I get home if you'd like. Most prints don't vary too much off of my standard settings.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,668
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Sorry, I meant between PLA and PETG


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #71
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Sorry, I meant between PLA and PETG


Hang up and Drive
I think I mostly use the same settings except for the extruder and bed temperatures.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #72
Custom Carbon Fiber
 
Robbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut :(
Posts: 4,501
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

For me I use 190/205 on PLA with bed temp 60-70 .... PETG I use 215/230 and found 70-80 works for my bed.

Same here too all my other settings are the same, just change the temps.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,668
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Reread and am stoked......I will wait until the 27th, but an messing with cura , so I know my way around


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #74
Custom Carbon Fiber
 
Robbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut :(
Posts: 4,501
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Hmm I've never had that problem with PETG. I have had it with PLA, but PLA gets brittle when you leave it out because it takes on moisture.
Checked out my reel of Hatchbox after reading this and realized it was PLA, I been printing that with my PETG temps with out realizing it. Its actually printing really really good too lol.

But didnt know PLA took on water that bad, makes sense. I keep the rolls Im not using in a dry box (wood desk drawer) next to the heater and the silica packets in there with them.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:52 AM   #75
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,511
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Checked out my reel of Hatchbox after reading this and realized it was PLA, I been printing that with my PETG temps with out realizing it. Its actually printing really really good too lol.

But didnt know PLA took on water that bad, makes sense. I keep the rolls Im not using in a dry box (wood desk drawer) next to the heater and the silica packets in there with them.
That'll do it. I store my PLA in rubber sealed totes with silica packets. Moisture turns PLA to junk. You can supposedly bake the water out, but I haven't had much success in getting it to print well afterwards. Hopefully you can save yours.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #76
Custom Carbon Fiber
 
Robbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut :(
Posts: 4,501
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That'll do it. I store my PLA in rubber sealed totes with silica packets. Moisture turns PLA to junk. You can supposedly bake the water out, but I haven't had much success in getting it to print well afterwards. Hopefully you can save yours.
When I was looking at trying nylon I read about baking it and the moisture problem. I saw one idea I thought was great, food dehydrator.

Something like this that the roll would fit into.
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-06300-...ood+dehydrator

Saw a picture of a spool mod on Thingiverse one day and in the background I could see they had a roll inside a dehydrator.

My PLA has been good, its still near the heater and being winter I always have it on around 70. Summer Ill change it up though.

Last edited by Robbob; 12-22-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,668
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

I like the dehydrator, I actually use one for drying paint that Iíve airbrushed on styrene bodies


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper
 
Stollenritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 312
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Hi guys, I`m in
Bought a Wanhao Duplicator 6 and started fiddling around.

Testobject: spring perch
Name:  printing 2.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  22.3 KB

and trying different printing orientations with different results:

Name:  printing 1.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  99.7 KB

Overhangs seem to cause problems. Maybe a cooling problem. Printinga new blower fan duct now
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #79
RCC Addict
 
k7zpj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beavercreek, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,951
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
Hi guys, I`m in
Bought a Wanhao Duplicator 6 and started fiddling around.

Testobject: spring perch

Overhangs seem to cause problems. Maybe a cooling problem. Printinga new blower fan duct now
Ninety degree overhangs usually require supports to print without sagging.
I would check your slicer software and find the option for printing supports and try it again.

Here is one my favorite articles on learning to make good prints.
https://forum.lulzbot.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1709
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper
 
Stollenritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 312
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Ninety degree overhangs usually require supports to print without sagging.
I would check your slicer software and find the option for printing supports and try it again.

Here is one my favorite articles on learning to make good prints.
https://forum.lulzbot.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1709

Hello K7,
Thank you for help! I will go trough the article, seems a good write up for beginners
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com