Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures
Loading

Notices

Like Tree417Likes

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Norway
Posts: 314
Default 3d printer for rc parts

Any recommandations for cheap, but usable printer for rc parts?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 801
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Wanhao Duplicator i3 or any of the clone variants. I have one from MicroCenter and it's awesome. If you think you can get away with a smaller printer the Monoprice MP Select Mini is the best printer for the money at that size. I own both printers and they're both extremely useful. All printers will need tinkering and calibration so don't expect to buy something and just start pumping out parts.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: woods
Posts: 60
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Monoprice Select Mini has their refurbished on sale right now for $135 which is insane:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...ls+LLC-1122587

It is a plug and play printer that doesn't require technical setup that would ruin the experience for a beginner.

It has high quality prints comparable with $500 units and has a huge following on Facebook that would give you all the help you need.

There is a guy on Amazon that did a review on it comparing the prints with his $2700 printer. Of course it is not the same but very close.

I'm not being endorsed or anything but I just came across this deal today and am ordering one tonight as well. Hopefully it's still in stock!
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Norway
Posts: 314
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwatchman View Post
Monoprice Select Mini has their refurbished on sale right now for $135 which is insane:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...ls+LLC-1122587

It is a plug and play printer that doesn't require technical setup that would ruin the experience for a beginner.

It has high quality prints comparable with $500 units and has a huge following on Facebook that would give you all the help you need.

There is a guy on Amazon that did a review on it comparing the prints with his $2700 printer. Of course it is not the same but very close.

I'm not being endorsed or anything but I just came across this deal today and am ordering one tonight as well. Hopefully it's still in stock!
Nice price, but I'm in europe and the shipping kills the deal for me.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 6,909
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

The Monoprice Select Mini is probably the best starting printer. The print bed is kind of small at 200mm x 200mm x 200mm, but the quality will blow you away once you get it dialed in.

This can be ordered direct from Monoprice as well as lots of other online outlets.
durok likes this.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
Always building!
 
jebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The east coast
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

I've been looking to get a 3d printer to start playing around with rc parts. this looks like it could fit the bill and the price is hard to beat. now I need to get smart on materials and how to input designs!
JatoTheRipper likes this.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tifton
Posts: 484
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

I just bought a MonoPrice Mini from Amazon for $154 shipped. Couldnt pass it up.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: crawlifornia
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Monoprice Select Mini is probably the best starting printer. The print bed is kind of small at 200mm x 200mm x 200mm, but the quality will blow you away once you get it dialed in.

This can be ordered direct from Monoprice as well as lots of other online outlets.
Where do you see 200mm? I show 4.7" x 4.7" x 4.7" (120 x 120 x 120 mm) pulled from the link posted.

I hope you're correct
JatoTheRipper likes this.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 6,909
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Where do you see 200mm? I show 4.7" x 4.7" x 4.7" (120 x 120 x 120 mm) pulled from the link posted.

I hope you're correct
Sorry, you are correct. It's 120mm not 200mm.
rockhugger likes this.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #10
Always building!
 
jebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The east coast
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Sounds like that would be big enough for me to print up things like transfer cases and crossmembers. Just have to convince my wife this is a good Xmas gift for me!
rockhugger likes this.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: woods
Posts: 60
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

You can find lots of parts from Thingiverse . com

I know there's scale accessories, parts for SCX10, and I'm going to print off a bunch of gate cones
JatoTheRipper likes this.
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: milky way
Posts: 4
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

I have a FolgerTech 2020 that works good. Printed skid plate, shock towers and a couple other things from thingiverse for my bronco. I use cura for slicing and pronterface for printing.
durok likes this.
HLDMYBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 6,909
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
Sounds like that would be big enough for me to print up things like transfer cases and crossmembers. Just have to convince my wife this is a good Xmas gift for me!
It's definitely good for scale accessories. And it's a great starter printer because it's reliable, makes high quality prints if you invest the time to learn the printer, and the price is low so you don't have to invest much just in case you don't like 3D printing.

Here are some RC stuff I printed on mine.

Grave Digger bumper and fire extinguisher:



Ford F-150 OEM wheels and hub caps:



Gun grips straight off the printer:



Gun grips with a little bit of sanding and staining, installed:

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
Always building!
 
jebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The east coast
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

those look good. I hadn't thought about wheels. I've been lookin for some 1.9 wheels with a construction theme for some Tonka trucks I've been converting over to rc. this could be the ticket, just print them myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's definitely good for scale accessories. And it's a great starter printer because it's reliable, makes high quality prints if you invest the time to learn the printer, and the price is low so you don't have to invest much just in case you don't like 3D printing.

Here are some RC stuff I printed on mine.

Grave Digger bumper and fire extinguisher:



Ford F-150 OEM wheels and hub caps:



Gun grips straight off the printer:



Gun grips with a little bit of sanding and staining, installed:

jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #15
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: woods
Posts: 60
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's definitely good for scale accessories. And it's a great starter printer because it's reliable, makes high quality prints if you invest the time to learn the printer, and the price is low so you don't have to invest much just in case you don't like 3D printing.

Here are some RC stuff I printed on mine.

Grave Digger bumper and fire extinguisher:



Ford F-150 OEM wheels and hub caps:



Gun grips straight off the printer:



Gun grips with a little bit of sanding and staining, installed:


What filament did you use to print the 1911 scales?
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 6,909
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwatchman View Post
What filament did you use to print the 1911 scales?
Hatchbox wood filament. It's awesome.
durok and jlwatchman like this.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Readsboro, VT
Posts: 580
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Those 1911 grips look great!

Anyway, back on subject, I just picked up a Maker Select V2 from Monoprice for $254 on black Friday. I just got my first couple prints out over the last couple days, and I'm real impressed with the print quality. I'll be printing some parts for my Gen7 shortly.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 19,558
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

You will want to add the z braze to the maker select. I would also recommend a glass bed and external bed heater FET.
THX_138 and durok like this.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #19
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: woods
Posts: 60
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Those 1911 grips look great!

Anyway, back on subject, I just picked up a Maker Select V2 from Monoprice for $254 on black Friday. I just got my first couple prints out over the last couple days, and I'm real impressed with the print quality. I'll be printing some parts for my Gen7 shortly.
I picked up a Monoprice as well...the V1 Select Mini. Not the newest but I paid $127 including shipping
JatoTheRipper and durok like this.
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
Always building!
 
jebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The east coast
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You will want to add the z braze to the maker select. I would also recommend a glass bed and external bed heater FET.
I'll have to look into these additions if I get one. Hope they aren't costly.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com