Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #261
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
i just kept a sheet of paper with settings, and as I changed them I wrote them down. once I established my baseline, I copied the Cura config in windows.
Now I have 4 separate configs, Fine and draft both PLA and PETG
I have been keeping everything in a secure cloud location including the logs, notes, original drawings, STL files, gcode, filament inventory, firmware files, maintenance log, printer service, RMA info, order info, expenses, accounts receivable (need more of these), contact info.

The whole works is backed up offsite with another service so that I can recover it if something bad happens.

Having cloud access allows me to use the same info for multiple computers so that I can do the design at other locations if needed.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #262
Rock Crawler

Just picked up a monoprice mini v2.

Time to have some fun...
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #263
Rock Crawler

Looking around thingverse right now, are there any other good sources of stl files out there?

Recomended program for making/editing STL files? paid or not....
Old 04-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #264
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Looking around thingverse right now, are there any other good sources of stl files out there?

Recomended program for making/editing STL files? paid or not....
This article has a list of the top sites for STL files.
https://all3dp.com/1/free-stl-files-...-stl-download/

Makers Muse on You Tube has some good recommendations:

Plus check out 3D Printing Nerd and Thomas Sanladerer on You Tube for information on 3D printing.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #265
Rock Crawler

Been playing with it a bit today... been trying to make a milk crate, results haven't been spectacular, but it's getting better.

I still haven't been able to get it to connect to a PC. Nether cura nor malyan will comunicate with it, even though it shows up in device manager.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #266
Rock Crawler

Went and purchased a Rasberry Pi 3 B+ today and loaded OctoPi on it. Printing the 1st job with it now. First thought is it makes like much easier. No more swapping SD cards between the printer and the PC. Did the slicing on the PC and uploaded it to Octoprint for printing. Also have a web cam hooked up so I can check on the print job from the recliner.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #267
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Went and purchased a Rasberry Pi 3 B+ today and loaded OctoPi on it. Printing the 1st job with it now. First thought is it makes like much easier. No more swapping SD cards between the printer and the PC. Did the slicing on the PC and uploaded it to Octoprint for printing. Also have a web cam hooked up so I can check on the print job from the recliner.

Only issue is a power surge or failure, a low end Batt back up (UPS) will solve that. A blip will recycle the printer ...... happened to one print here when I was watching. Lesson learned

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #268
Rock Crawler

Well that was short lived, I was print a case for the Raspberry Pi and the Octoprint server crashed. On the bright side it was towards the begining. I thought that Octoprint could resume but it appeared it was going to start from scratch so I just dumped the gcode file to the SD card and printed from there. Might need to wait for a more stable version of Octoprint. I bought the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ which the stable version of Octoprint isn't compatible with yet.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #269
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
April Fools jokes on April 2nd?
To be fair, reporting on April fools jokes on the 2nd.
Quote:
April Fools is the dumbest day ever. I hate it because #FakeNews
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #270

Quote:

I still haven't been able to get it to connect to a PC. Nether cura nor malyan will comunicate with it, even though it shows up in device manager.
What's your baudrate set at in your slicer program? The wrong numbers in that setting for that and your PC will never connect to it.
urjustamemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #271
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Been playing with it a bit today... been trying to make a milk crate, results haven't been spectacular, but it's getting better.

I found that I could communicate , but nothing would work. I solved it by also turning the AC on to the printer. The USB connection powered the lcd, but not the heat on the hot end or bed

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #272
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urjustamemory View Post
What's your baudrate set at in your slicer program? The wrong numbers in that setting for that and your PC will never connect to it.
I spent days with the same problem and poof thats what it was. Check your COM port and baudrate for sure.

My printer was set to AUTO for both Com and Baud, have you tried manually changing that? My baudrate was 115000 if that helps ya.

I been playing around with Octoprint, after finally getting it to run, and like it but havent seen a upside to it verse Cura yet. I also found MatterControl and played a couple times.

Basically wanted to get in and tune PID and some other stuff. MatterControl didnt have the extensive install like OctoPrint.

Just more tools to try

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/...ol/sk/MKZGTDW6
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #273
RCC Addict

Quote:

I still haven't been able to get it to connect to a PC. Nether cura nor malyan will communicate with it, even though it shows up in device manager.
If you are still having issues after checking the baud rate:

Check to see if there are inactive com ports - Open device manager, under the View menu select "Show hidden devices". Now check to see what com ports are listed. If you have any that are greyed out, delete them, reboot the computer, and then try connecting your printer again.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #274
Rock Crawler

It was all fun and games until the extruder plugged at hr9 on a 10hr print.

Filament melted in the housing and stuck

Waiting on my petg to print the upgraded dual fan housing/etc. I don't think PLA would work
Old 04-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #275
Rock Crawler

Apparently I'm not allowed in the monoprice mini FB group. Its been 2 days since I tried to join.

Are there any good forums that cover them?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #276
RCC Addict

Quote:
Apparently I'm not allowed in the monoprice mini FB group. Its been 2 days since I tried to join.

Are there any good forums that cover them?
They can be slow to respond. You can cancel the request and resubmit it.
That should get someone's attention.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #277
I wanna be Dave

Thingaverse has many groups, go look and see if enough activity to suit you.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #278
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Most of the face book groups are nothing but partial clogs and people totally baffled over why the PLA is printing bad at 180c and 100mms speeds. You aren't missing much that a google search won't find, except 50 notifications a day of the same question. Ive had to unfollow every single group because of the sheer numbers of people that refuse to do any research or trial and error for themselves.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #279
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Most of the face book groups are nothing but partial clogs and people totally baffled over why the PLA is printing bad at 180c and 100mms speeds. You aren't missing much that a google search won't find, except 50 notifications a day of the same question. Ive had to unfollow every single group because of the sheer numbers of people that refuse to do any research or trial and error for themselves.
Most forums are no different. The worst are the people that post too much, and everyone believes there a god. Anyone with 10+ posts/day for 2+ years gets automatically ignored.

My bs filter is finely tuned at this point

The cooling fan had a bad connection on it causing it to run sometimes. The wire came right off as I was taking it apart to clear the clog. Fixed the fan for now, ordered 2 nautica fans and some petg to make a new housing for it.

I'm planing on makeing this one, unless someone has a better idea.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1848402
Old 04-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #280
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Most forums are no different. The worst are the people that post too much, and everyone believes there a god. Anyone with 10+ posts/day for 2+ years gets automatically ignored.

My bs filter is finely tuned at this point

The cooling fan had a bad connection on it causing it to run sometimes. The wire came right off as I was taking it apart to clear the clog. Fixed the fan for now, ordered 2 nautica fans and some petg to make a new housing for it.

I'm planing on makeing this one, unless someone has a better idea.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1848402

Diii cooler, modified to see hot end.

Hang up and Drive

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM