Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 wheel fitment info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX4 wheel fitment info

What about the Rc4wd Landies anyone tried these?
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #62

I'm trying to figure out which SLW hubs I have to purchase to mount the Vanquish 105 Method wheels to the TRX. Can anyone let me know. Also has anyone had a hard time mounting Vanquish Wheels to the Proline tires?
Slashrcgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #63
Rock Stacker

350 Hubs make it damn near close to stock width. Go smaller if you want full coverage by fenders and larger then 350 if you want a wider track width. As I understand it, this is with all the VP KMC and Method wheels.
mobgma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #64
Rock Stacker

Anyone tried the Ascender stock wheels on the TRX4?
metblack328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgma View Post
350 Hubs make it damn near close to stock width. Go smaller if you want full coverage by fenders and larger then 350 if you want a wider track width. As I understand it, this is with all the VP KMC and Method wheels.
And it wont rub on the portal? if this is the case I will buy them right now lol
Slashrcgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

I run 225 hubs on a Lockeduprc wheel which had less clearance than vp
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #67
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashrcgeo View Post
And it wont rub on the portal? if this is the case I will buy them right now lol
The VP KMC and Method wheels clear portals no problem. As I understand it you need a minimum 185 hubs. I know from personal experience on VP KMC Enduros and also 350 hubs that this got me extremely close to stock track width.

Read Post #1 by the OP.

"2: Internal beadlocks with a dished back ring (such as Vanquish, some SSD, and RC4WD steel wheels) have the most clearance on the inside. You can run any SLW hub (down to Locked Up .185 hubs) and have plenty of clearance."
mobgma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

I know I will inevitably strip out the stock plastic wheels, as that is the fate of all 12mm hex'd wheels when used with locked diffs . In my hands at least...

I'm actually liking the stock tires though, and would like to swap them over to more robust wheels. I'm thinking some white steel wheels, brand undecided, would go well with the old Bronco body I'm running.

My concern is that either the steel wheels are too narrow for the stock tires and will result result in a rounded tread profile, which I consider was than ideal. Or maybe that the steel wheels will be spaced out farther than the stock wheels, adding undue scrub radius and stress on the front axle. I've never had a set of steelies in my hands, so I'm not sure of their exact specs.

Could some one please post front view pics showing the track width and tread profile with some steel wheels? If the Steelies are too skinny for the stock tires, or add track width, could someone recommend a set of non-fancy looking wheels of appropriate width and backspacing to run stock tires?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I know I will inevitably strip out the stock plastic wheels, as that is the fate of all 12mm hex'd wheels when used with locked diffs . In my hands at least...

I'm actually liking the stock tires though, and would like to swap them over to more robust wheels. I'm thinking some white steel wheels, brand undecided, would go well with the old Bronco body I'm running.

My concern is that either the steel wheels are too narrow for the stock tires and will result result in a rounded tread profile, which I consider was than ideal. Or maybe that the steel wheels will be spaced out farther than the stock wheels, adding undue scrub radius and stress on the front axle. I've never had a set of steelies in my hands, so I'm not sure of their exact specs.

Could some one please post front view pics showing the track width and tread profile with some steel wheels? If the Steelies are too skinny for the stock tires, or add track width, could someone recommend a set of non-fancy looking wheels of appropriate width and backspacing to run stock tires?
I make my own foams, so from experience, a little wider foam at the tread will flatten the tire out nicely.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. Looks pretty much ideal. If I figure this right I need the rc4wd wheels, pro-line adapter sleeves, and the hex adapters to make it all play nicely with stock tires. Hopefully fits stock hex's?

Funny you guys mention wider foams. Ditching the heavy body has made the stock foams a more appropriate density it seems. I do see what you guys mean though. Somewhere I have stashed some CI widener tuning rings that should help.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

I think if I ditch the stock hex's I must find 6mm id sleeves/ shim to simulate the inner protrusion on the peculiar traxxas hex. Otherwise the axleshaft floats slightly on the slot in the lower portal gear. Probably not enough to hurt anything other than my ocd, but nevertheless I can't have it.

I guess I thought the rc4wd steelies always came with pin drive 6-bolt adapters that won't work with my setup?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #72
Rock Stacker

Installed my eBay 1.9 Alloy beadlocks, plenty of clearance with the MFR Portal covers installed.

djmaincheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I think if I ditch the stock hex's I must find 6mm id sleeves/ shim to simulate the inner protrusion on the peculiar traxxas hex. Otherwise the axleshaft floats slightly on the slot in the lower portal gear. Probably not enough to hurt anything other than my ocd, but nevertheless I can't have it.

I guess I thought the rc4wd steelies always came with pin drive 6-bolt adapters that won't work with my setup?
You want to be careful and check the drawings cause the inner gear on the lower stub axle is pinned on too too much slop between that pin and the hex might let it work out and jam things up
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

I have VP Method 105's + VP 225 hubs + MFR brass portal covers and the inner beadlock screws just clear the portals. Anything narrower may hit the MFR portal covers.

Slightly off topic, but if you don't dig the brass color just hit them with a few coats of Brass Black...
Gimpy00Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #75
Rock Stacker

WOW! That looks great. I'm going to be doing this to my MFR brass portal covers, AMWO brass wheel hex's and Codyboy Brass Knuckle weights this weekend. Ya I have a lot of brass on my pig but it wont hardly flip.
Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
Installed my eBay 1.9 Alloy beadlocks, plenty of clearance with the MFR Portal covers installed.
Hey DJ,
Would it be possible for you to take some side view with the body on pics to see how far the tiires stick out past the flares? I'm looking for views like NateDog showed us in post #87.

Thanks!
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
Hey DJ,
Would it be possible for you to take some side view with the body on pics to see how far the tiires stick out past the flares? I'm looking for views like NateDog showed us in post #87.

Thanks!
Post #4

New 3 Piece Aluminum 1.9 Beadlocks
CAP'N CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 AM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Cap'n, I did not realize he had a separate thread for these.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

Guys I would really like to get some old school Landry steel wheels. I was thinking about these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/192211845220

What hex would I need to make these work?
Would the stock hex work?
What is the stock hex size, so I could upgrade to steel?
subspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:45 AM   #80
Rock Stacker

Just got some cheap Chinese classic look rims. It does not interfere with the portal and I can add the GRC weight in it. However I have to drill the center hole from 4mm to 5mm. Just a 20 second job with a electric driver and done. Stock wheels are too big for me so I tried to put on some small tyres and see how they looks.

Last edited by ricksonchow; 09-27-2017 at 04:50 AM.
ricksonchow is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 wheel fitment info - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock tire wheel fitment racer Vaterra Ascender 4 08-17-2016 10:18 AM
DLUX Front End Guide and Wheel Fitment 802coma Axial Yeti 46 04-10-2016 10:18 AM
2014 Focus wheel fitment Elmo 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 5 07-23-2015 02:30 PM
Newbie Tire Question - Moab XL Wheel Fitment Spark Plug Tires and Wheels 4 10-24-2009 04:33 PM
RC4WD steel wheel fitment? theslowguy Tires and Wheels 4 09-17-2009 05:00 AM