Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Options to replace Micro Servo's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #81
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Options to replace Micro Servo's?

My locker servos failed day 1 so I got some cheap Tower pro servos and the fit with some mods.

I used the arms that came with the servos cuz the closest hole had the correct throw since the radio has no epa adjustments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spaceman5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 AM   #82

Cool, just nicely installed the new replacement 2065 gears. Very carefully held the spring to tighten the saver, and then very gingerly stripped the new gears. Unbelievable.
prionic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #83

Well, I ended up getting some Savox 0250mg servos. I thought they would fit, but they are too big. However, they do fit the servo saver, so I'm going to end up making a solution in CAD for a mount for the diff servos as well as the transmission servo. It'll take me a while, but I think it's the right way to do it. These dinky little things just aren't going to work no matter what.
prionic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #84

I didn't even get a full pack through mine before my front diff lock servo started buzzing and went inoperable. I've been in the hobby many years and this is a first. lol. Luckily my LHS is amazing and my buddy just had me pull the servo at home and bring it in to exchange for a new one. Getting the horn/saver in just the right spot so that the servo isn't buzzing on either the pull or throw cycle is a bitch and a half!! But....i got it and had the truck out for two hours the other day, used the servo numerous times with no failures. I'm almost thinking it was improperly adjusted out of the box and I didn't hear it laboring before it failed. I made sure to check the others , everything is properly adjusted and working ( for now)
BuffaloCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by prionic1 View Post
Cool, just nicely installed the new replacement 2065 gears. Very carefully held the spring to tighten the saver, and then very gingerly stripped the new gears. Unbelievable.
I found a rebuild kit from Traxxas for around $4 I believe.
The spring is on the other end of things so the speak, to hold onto this properly you need to use needle nose pliers to grab the tiny inner most portion of the servo saver, this part is directly attached to the spline.

It is pretty amazing how easily they strip though

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-06-2017 at 04:51 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #86
RCC Addict

When I had a Summit I was told by a Traxxas rep to loosen the screws mounting the servo a little so there was just enough play to take any possible strain off the servo. I never had another fail,after that till I sold it. Maybe it’s worth doing on the trx? Touch wood mine have been ok so far.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

If and when I have trouble with my shift servos I will be eliminating one servo and going with only one.

Here is my idea, pick up a full size servo and some servo mounts like what you'd find in a buggy setup and get a round or star servo horn. you could mount the servo upright or lay it down (would have to move the rx box a bit though.
making some measurements find the rate of cable pull from locked to unlocked positions and now hook up the servo to channel 4 on the rx. Run the servo and make measurements on it to find the amount of pull you would have to have on the diff cables. You can also loosen the cable clamps and move cable forward or backwards to add or subtract a small amount of pull length. Now that channel 5 is open on the rx I could hook up some rock lights to that.....flip the switch forward - locks both diffs, flip the switch forward one more position and I have rock lights for a night crawl !

I'm sure there would be a little trial and error but this seems like a simple mod.

IMG_0035

another idea this time using a carburetor spring linkage off a nitro car, this way if the end points are not real close this would operate in the same fashion as the factory sprung servo savers !

IMG_0036

You would only use the rod with the spring from the servo to the first horn, then use another solid rod to connect the two shift horns.

Anywho, bored... just sitting playing on the iPad thinking 'bout stuff.

Who knows...I keep them lock at all times anyways, so it could be I'll just either JBweld them or get some machined steel spools from Leading Edge Machining

Last edited by ScoJac; 01-01-2018 at 07:33 AM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #88
RCC Addict

Some great ideas! I need to keep the diff locking functionality. It’s why I bought the truck. So much fun seeing how far I can get like a real Land Rover before locking a diff or two.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #89

Any New info on this? I have barely touched my TRX-4 since my locker servo's failed, I am waiting for someone to figure out a good long term solution that I won't have to keep screwing with.
dan1061986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #90
RCC Addict

I'm using the bluebird option from the original first page of this thread with absolutely outstanding results. I did have to trim the ears a touch for a perfect fit, but that's okay with me.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:35 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I'm using the bluebird option from the original first page of this thread with absolutely outstanding results. I did have to trim the ears a touch for a perfect fit, but that's okay with me.

Is the Bluebird 25T like stock? If so I'll have to get two of those.
Nfd538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:01 AM   #92
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfd538 View Post
Is the Bluebird 25T like stock? If so I'll have to get two of those.

They are indeed 25T splines. I just got some of these Bluebirds in the mail yesterday. I just test fit the Samix 25T servo horn on the Bluebird BMS-373mg and it fits like a glove.
Stewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #93

I ordered 2 of the bluebirds, I think both are DOA. no response when hooked up to the RX, I can't even turn either of them by hand.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:57 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1061986 View Post
I ordered 2 of the bluebirds, I think both are DOA. no response when hooked up to the RX, I can't even turn either of them by hand.
i have the bluebird bms-21hv on the shelf as replacement if one of the stock servos fails. i tried to turn them by hand and it needs some force to move it.
maybe mount a servo horn and turn them.
also maybe they demanding too much Amps for the build in bec of the stock esc (only 1A for a truck with 4 servos ).

if u have another rig on hand try them in this one or try different kind of servo in the ports to find the issue

Last edited by magic_yeti; 02-04-2018 at 05:11 AM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
i have the bluebird bms-21hv on the shelf as replacement if one of the stock servos fails. i tried to turn them by hand and it needs some force to move it.
maybe mount a servo horn and turn them.
also maybe they demanding too much Amps for the build in bec of the stock esc (only 1A for a truck with 4 servos ).

if u have another rig on hand try them in this one or try different kind of servo in the ports to find the issue
I used the plastic servo horn they ship with and torqued on them till the horn stripped :/

I hooked the trans servo up to channels 4 and 5 and it works on either.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:20 AM   #96

Ordered a couple of those bluebird servo's from the first page. Let's see how they perform
Björn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #97
RCC Addict

Just be careful the stock radio does not has end points adjustment. You could easily overlords your micro servos.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Just be careful the stock radio does not has end points adjustment. You could easily overlords your micro servos.
So... How would someone go about ensuring that they don't overload these servos? Look for a tx with capability to limit travel? If so... any recommendations as to a decent tx that someone can run with the stock TRX4 electronics ( compatibility).

Any more detailed info would be greatly appreciated. I've got a couple Bluebird 373mg servos that I'd like to drop in without watching them get ruined. Thank you, if anyone could elaborate in regards to getting these servos to work successfully.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
So... How would someone go about ensuring that they don't overload these servos? Look for a tx with capability to limit travel? If so... any recommendations as to a decent tx that someone can run with the stock TRX4 electronics ( compatibility).

Any more detailed info would be greatly appreciated. I've got a couple Bluebird 373mg servos that I'd like to drop in without watching them get ruined. Thank you, if anyone could elaborate in regards to getting these servos to work successfully.

HeyOk made up a dual channel winch controller, and he had asked if it would be handy to be able to set end points, so there may be a solution coming. it will have its own separate little controller though.

Wireless Winch and Diff Locker Controller

EDIT: the last post in that thread shows the first epa version, and it looks like its now open for order.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-11-2018 at 10:54 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #100

Ok, so like I said above, I ordered this one from the first page of this topic:

https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/bms-373m...sec-11-4g.html

I installed it with the servo saver and it stopped working after one minute. I think the throw might be the issue. As far as I can see the original servo's have a throw of around 90 degrees. This one has 120 degrees. I have a second one that I'll install tonight, but I expect it to fail also.
Björn is offline   Reply With Quote

Options to replace Micro Servo's? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
micro crawler options? evil_monkey Micro Scale Rigs 6 10-12-2012 04:33 PM
Motor options for Micro RC harlequin Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 01-29-2012 09:27 AM
battery options for micro rc crawlers? shaybeer Electronics 0 01-12-2011 07:00 AM
micro motor options ??? fordwheeler Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 34 01-01-2010 09:46 AM