Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

So last night I spent about 1 1/2hours tearing down the axles, clean & regrease. Not too bad for my first time. Also spent some time taking the rack & cage off. This evening after work I sat on the back porch watching the girls play & cut the back off. Now she's a 4 door truck :-) here's a picture of it without the bed cover. I'll be working on that in the next few days. Next will be modifying the cage & maybe the rack. Not sure on the rack yet. Cutting with thread like sewing thread did not work. Had to step up to some thin twine. It seemed to do good. Did all the cuts inside of 30mins.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 05-12-2018 at 06:14 PM.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Yeah !!!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
So last night I spent about 1 1/2hours tearing down the axles, clean & regrease. Not too bad for my first time. Also spent some time taking the rack & cage off. This evening after work I sat on the back porch watching the girls play & cut the back off. Now she's a 4 door truck :-) here's a picture of it without the bed cover. I'll be working on that in the next few days. Next will be modifying the cage & maybe the rack. Not sure on the rack yet. Cutting with thread like sewing thread did not work. Had to step up to some thin twine. It seemed to do good. Did all the cuts inside of 30mins.

Looking good Justin, can't wait to see what you come up with!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Good start, you got pm!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Worked on this a bit today. I'm very happy with how it's looking. This pic it's only mocked up. Have a few minor adjustments to make before gluing. Please excuse my messy work space LoL! Extremely excited to get this finished yet surprisingly patient. Second pic is a tool box tray that I cut up for rear cover. Have a good night!

Old 05-14-2018, 05:20 AM   #46
RCC Addict

I will take some pictures of the process before I glue everything together. Just in case someone needs them. I'm really enjoying doing modifications to my rig. Almost as much fun as running it looks like we're getting a rain day in fl today. Hopefully I can get outta work a little early & go glue it all together. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Good talking and coming along nicely! I heard the weather report for y'all this morning, it's kinda cool, breezy and feeling like rain showers here but probably mostly in the mountains. Be a great day up there watching the lightning!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Definitely good talking to you Nate! I always enjoy talking to like minded people. It's been raining all morning, but being the bossman means you have plenty to do even if it's raining sent my guys home 2 hrs ago. Hopefully I'll get outta here soon. Do you have any pics of the weight reduction stuff you've been doing? I looked over my rig some after I got done taking to you & there is allot of unnecessary bulk.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #49
RCC Addict

So anxious to get this build back on the rocks! Wish I had a whole day just to finish it up. Will post some pics this evening
Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Here's some pictures of the truck bed mod & cage modification. Should have it back on the chassis tonight Super stoked to get this thing back on the rocks! clipped the corners out to help seat them a little better after the first application of E6000 looks kinda ruff but the E6000 comes of easy. Cut the edge with razor & peel off the extra Second application of E6000 with some screen for strength. I used some old netting I had. Drywall mesh tape works as well. Apply glue on to of screen level with finger. Get screen in place. Keep an eye on it for an hour or so pressing screen down here & there with screwdriver. make sure to drill your cage pieces dead center some big guitar wire cut & bent to fit inside of cage pieces. Some E6000 inside the hole & on end off guitar string. Gotta hold the joint together for a few mins till glue holds. final mock up for the cage before gluing. Should have it finished this evening

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 05-16-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Some small things still left, but definitely like the look now. It's been raining for 3 days here & the backyard course is wet. Still took it for a spin lol couldn't resist. Here's some pics A little night time flashlight crawl

Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Thank you Ernie for helping me get into this hobby! I'm loving every minute!

Nate thank you for your help with this build! Can't wait to meet you guys!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you Ernie for helping me get into this hobby! I'm loving every minute!

Nate thank you for your help with this build! Can't wait to meet you guys!
Justin, you and your family are the very reason I love this hobby so much. I can tell that you're skills will make this hobby very enjoyable for you guys! And you know if you need anything all you have to do is ask. Give Kayla and the girls a hug for us!
Ernie
Old 05-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Justin, you and your family are the very reason I love this hobby so much. I can tell that you're skills will make this hobby very enjoyable for you guys! And you know if you need anything all you have to do is ask. Give Kayla and the girls a hug for us!
Ernie
Thank you again Ernie! Same goes for you! We're here if you need anything. Squeeze Marcia one time For us
Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Once I got my rig all back together last night. I noticed a chatter in the gear box. So I went ahead & pulled the transmission opened it up everything looked good. Sprayed a little white lithium grease in there & closed her back up. Still have the chatter. So while the motor was running I wiggled it around & sure enough that's where my sound is coming from. Did the electrical tape trick. It made a little difference but not much. I guess I'll be doing the motor mount modification next. Hopefully changing the mesh some will make the noise go away. It was completely quite for the first 6 packs then it got noisy. If anyone has pics of the modified motor mount please post a pic or link to the thread. Thank you for your help!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Re: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

Thank you to anyone who posted their truck bed mod on here with build pictures! I have been checking out your threads before I even had my TRX-4. Definitely helped me with research & knowledge for my build. Great appreciation to you!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Once I got my rig all back together last night. I noticed a chatter in the gear box. So I went ahead & pulled the transmission opened it up everything looked good. Sprayed a little white lithium grease in there & closed her back up. Still have the chatter. So while the motor was running I wiggled it around & sure enough that's where my sound is coming from. Did the electrical tape trick. It made a little difference but not much. I guess I'll be doing the motor mount modification next. Hopefully changing the mesh some will make the noise go away. It was completely quite for the first 6 packs then it got noisy. If anyone has pics of the modified motor mount please post a pic or link to the thread. Thank you for your help!
Hey Justin, if you read my trx4 site I did a couple things to mine that made a difference. I drill and tapped a hole in the top of the cover and used the screw to tighten down on the motor mount, and it took out that little bit of play.
Time to button up the motor home and head to the camp site for the Pro-Line by the Fire event site.
Ernie
Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Justin, if you read my trx4 site I did a couple things to mine that made a difference. I drill and tapped a hole in the top of the cover and used the screw to tighten down on the motor mount, and it took out that little bit of play.
Time to button up the motor home and head to the camp site for the Pro-Line by the Fire event site.
Ernie
I love reading through that build. The nukiser body will be what I buy when I decide to get a new body. Those weights are something else! Jealous of your knowledge & tools you'll have to let us know how the GRC motor mount works out for you when you get it. I will probably do my motor mount tonight. You guys have a safe & fun trip! Sending good vibes your way!
Old 05-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Last night I did the motor mount modification due to my pinion to spur mesh being too tight & very noisy. I put a drill bit in my drill press & made a slot from hole B to hole D both top & bottom. Set the screws between holes C & D. Mesh sets perfectly now. No more noisy gears! Thanks Ernie for posting in your thread this modification! Also did the electrical tape mod which is holding the motor nice & tight. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Here's some shots from my lunch time crawl spot. Pretty fun place I found yesterday. Tried to shoot a video, but I'm not that great at video & driving at the same time. Need to talk someone into running a camera for me.

AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Defender Adventure (and some mudding) Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 0 10-10-2017 07:30 PM
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM