Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #121
RCC Addict

Default Re: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

Well I finally got the balls to do it. I've been thinking about it since the first time I had seen the ugly black sticker windows on the Trx-4.

Took about 2.5 hours total. Patience my friends that's what it takes. Was very easy over all. If you decide to cut out your windows. Watch out around the rear windows. I don't know if this applies to all defender bodies or not, but the plastic was much thinner in these areas. I have a couple different materials for windows, but haven't decided which I will use yet. Trying to find something thin with some tint to it, with not much luck.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Here is a 12"x12" .030" clear polycarbonate sheet on Amazon

Tint it with Tamiya ps-31

Just hit your openings with some hobby files and sandpaper to clean edges and secure your windows with shoo goo.

Matteo did this to his Bronco

Last edited by ScoJac; 07-08-2018 at 09:36 AM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #123
RCC Addict

I was thinking something super light like some plastic from a box a toy comes in. Was going to use a clear grey ¢97 folder from Wal-Mart, but didn't care much for how it looked on the rig. I'll find the material that works for what I'm going for.

Ok now I will have clear windows.... what's working out the best for an interior in these rigs?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Here's my first attempt at video editing. Tell me what you think. Still working on the video & drive thing Hope you all enjoy! Have a great day!

https://youtu.be/YOsOIDtv_4I
I liked the effects you used for scene-to-scene transitions, pretty cool!

Neat crawling course you have there...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #125
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I liked the effects you used for scene-to-scene transitions, pretty cool!

Neat crawling course you have there...
Thank you! That's the free effects that come with the editing app I used.

I love my backyard course! It's ever changing. Dry it's fun. Wet it's a very interesring crawl. Allot of rain here lately. Here's some pics from........... Right now! LoL!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 07-10-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Looking good with trimmed nerfbars and all! Cool cave in your video, but that's the kind of steep shaft you don't want to lose you or your truck down!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looking good with trimmed nerfbars and all! Cool cave in your video, but that's the kind of steep shaft you don't want to lose you or your truck down!
Thanks brotha! Got that idea from you! So thank you again Not hanging up on them as much now. If it did go down there. I'd finally have a good reason to go down there! I've always wanted to go down in it. I had some good tumbles while I was crawling that day. Definitely ran after it a few times. I will take a better landscape shot next time I'm out there.

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 07-10-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Ok Justin, a care package is headed your way, I think you'll like it.
I sent you the seat I took the photo of so you will have a good example. I would like to get it back when you have honed your skills.
I sent you all the material you need to build a few seats and harnesses with exception of the snaps. This is the guy that designed these parts, along with many many other cool scale parts. He is a great designer and builder, maybe one of the best this sight has seen. "Team3sixRC Scale Seats info". (For some reason I couldn't get it to link) Do a search for this sight and you will find the instructions for these, that is the good news, bad news is all his photos have been deleted by photobucket, that's why I sent the seat with the 5 point harness to copy from. With your skills I know you will do a great job with these. Be sure to post up how to photos as you will probably have guys asking how you did that!
Happy building, and I will PM you the tracking #.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #129
RCC Addict

Ernie you're one hell of a person! Thank you my friend! My build wouldn't be what it is today without you. I will definitely do a how to on the seats & make sure I give the credit to team3sixrc. Can't wait to get started on my interior. Just looks crazy with a hollow cab. I will send the seat back with you and Marcia's care package. I found that thread & will link it in my how to thread when I post it. Thank you again brotha! Have a great day!

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 07-11-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #130
Quarry Creeper

Just read through this thread. So many Ups and downs and back ups. Your truck mods look great The pictures from Disney are amazing. Sorry to hear about the S10. And damn you have shown that the trx4 really can crawl if you want it to. Thanks for sharing so much on here. I got a lot of ideas from your backyard course. Im trying to build mine but the boss lady asked me to draw up a design for it before i go to deep into the current landscaping. Also mad props to you for getting out in July in FL to play. I dont do FL in the summer except with the beach or a pool nearby.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #131
RCC Addict

Thank you for the kind words . I definitely love my Trx-4. It has been a great rig and has done most of everything I put it up to. I've been having a lot of fun with it as you can see & modifying it is one of the greatest parts. I'm glad you like The backyard course. Maybe one day you'll get to run on it. As for the Florida heat I've lived here my whole life. It doesn't bother me all that bad. That day I looked like I had jumped in the pool with all my clothes on when I came out of the woods. I like that boss lady comment. My boss lady asked if I could just keep it hidden behind the shed. So far I have achieved this. Except for the rock bed I put around my palm tree, but that's just Nice Landscaping I'm totally against Facebook and all those other social media platforms. There for I have to share on this forum. It is my only portal to the RC world. Nothing but great people here. They have taught me damn near everything I know about RC. I look forward to looking into your builds. Thank you again! Hope you have a great day!
Old 07-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #132
Quarry Creeper

I grew up in AL had to escape the humidity, now we talk about moving back that direction in the future to be closer to family. I hate that everyone thinks facebook groups etc can replace forums. they cant. too much excellent information on the forums and I have definitely met more people through forums than facebook. and too much personal stuff out in the open for all to see is never a good thing. now to figure out a way to get back all the lost photos.......
Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
bad news is all his photos have been deleted by photobucket
There are a few plug ins now that can make old Photobucket pictures work again, definitely try them and see if you get better results. doing so will improve the entire forum, old dead posts come back to life.

thread with more info and the list of plug ins here: Photobucket Embedded Image Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I have a couple different materials for windows, but haven't decided which I will use yet. Trying to find something thin with some tint to it, with not much luck.
Nice job, I've considered cutting out the windows too but never had the nerve, plus I've got a lot of stuff inside I would want to hide. My plan was to use some sheets of lexan which come in various thicknesses (amain has a good selection https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=lexan+sheet ) , cut the window a bit big so I could have something to glue to

For tint you could get Tamiya PS-31 (Smoke color) which is intended for use on lexan only. But before you go for it just consider maybe leaving the windows down, I saw one done like this at the Proline By The Fire event and it looked pretty sharp but also had a half interior to hide the inner gubbins.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #134
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking how good the matteo bronco looked before he tinted it. Ain't no body getting too hot or blinded with clear windows on rc cars.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #135
RCC Addict

I agree odomandr having all of your personal info out there for anyone & everyone to see just isn't a good thing. Getting rid of social media was the best thing I could have done. I've always been a big fan of forums.

HumboldtEF, I'm going to try using the plug in & recover the old pics from that thread. There's allot of info with dead pics here that I would like to be able to check out. I was thinking about leaving the windows down. Still would like to find some tinted plastic for the back windows. I'm a little iffy on the spray on tint. I don't want to loose the transparency. edit: just watched matteo's video guess that spray works pretty good. I plan on doing an interior, but until I get some axle weight I'm worried about high COG. Cutting out the windows dropped 40 grams up high & really made a huge difference in the crawling ability. Really shows me that getting some weight down low is gonna make my rig a beast. High torque servo first then axle weight, but being responsible I'll be waiting a bit for both

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 07-12-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #136
Quarry Creeper

If you have never used that spray, you could always paint a couple clear 2 liter pop bottles to do your trial and error on.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #137
RCC Addict

Regarding the tint in case you do in fact decide to go that route...

The Tamiya PS-31 is really easy to work with imo. It goes on light as long as you keep it back from the lexan a bit and use a light even sweeping motion. One advantage that you'd have is that if all the window material is laid out flat, then there is little chance of having one or more window come out noticeably darker or lighter... They should all look uniform. That's a bit harder to achieve when spraying inside the body. I also like that with the PS--31, you can go as dark or light as you wish. Just maintain control of the spray tip and make sure that the can is warmed up to room temp and shaken well to avoid any splatters. Practicing on some lexan or plastic scraps beforehand can really help you to get a feel for how the paint comes out and covers. Regardless... love this thread and rig is looking good, man!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #138
RCC Addict

Smile Re: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

Yesterday I get home to a Ernie care package on the table. I was expecting a seat & some goodies to make some seats. What I didn't expect is for him to send me a few extras for my truck, couple action figures, Stuff to build seats, a full set of proline hyrax & ( I about died cause I've wanted some of these since the first time I saw them) some CODYBOY Designs wheel weights! The last pair! I was speechless! Ernie was one of the first people I ever talked to on this forum. His amazing nukiser Trx-4 caught my eye the first time I scrolled through the picture thread. Thank you Ernie! You put a whole new meaning to paying it forward!
Old 07-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #139
RCC Addict

Last night I installed my CODYBOY wheel weights. Today played a bit on the course. Wow! That axle weight makes SO much difference! Side hilling like a champ! Thank you Ernie!

Old 07-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #140
RCC Addict

Today did some work on the backyard course. Made some more difficult lines. Then of course had to test them :-) It's amazing what a little axle weight will do to expand your rig's ability. Think I'm going to order a new set of fender flares for $8. All 4 of them are flapping in some spot or a few. LoL! Had them E6000 to the fenders. Still tore the holes out on the ends. Probably doesn't help that I drag them on every rock. Here's a few pics!

AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Defender Adventure (and some mudding) Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 0 10-10-2017 07:30 PM
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM