Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: ***DERWOOD DESIGNS Double D Steering Kits***

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ***DERWOOD DESIGNS Double D Steering Kits***

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwood21 View Post
Just picked up the first batch tonight. Gonna get everything ready, packed up and shipped out first thing Monday morning.
Thanks! Just in time for me. After a day of creekbed crawling my steering is SUPER sloppy. The paint is rubbed off the hr steering rack I bought so those things are a waste of $$. They probably don't work as well as the stock piece. Steering is just a bad design for a car meant to run in the dirt, too much friction going on
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Great work on getting these out Daren. For those that have preordered you will be stoked to put this on. The product is well built and easy to install. No need to worry about anything with this steering rack. My buddies and I drive the crap out of our cars with no issues. I have jumped mine onto the roof of the house and fell off with total confidence in the rack. We havealso done some down hill jumps the didn't work out to well and ended up cartwheeling 30 or so feet before coming to rest with no failure. If ur on the fence just jump off and order ur double D steering rack. It's a great upgrade. Thanks Daren
Old 06-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the orders Everything has been shipped out in the past 2 days.
I have 5 more ready to ship out if you didn't get in on the preorder.
The shock mount is still in the works but should have it nailed here soon. And for all the guys with concerns about this working with the BMRC shock tower, I have a steering kit on the way to a customer that is going to check the fitment and post up results. After looking at it closer, I'm pretty sure the tower will fit with the steering kit with alittle clearancing of the shock tower for the 4mm bellcrank bolts. We'll know for sure soon.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Sweet. Can't wait to get mine.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

if there is clearance issues with the nut why dont you put the nut on the bottom and the screw on top? just an idea. Also great looking product, glad people are still working on the TH! Thanks for the great product, hopefully products soon!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt95 View Post
if there is clearance issues with the nut why dont you put the nut on the bottom and the screw on top? just an idea. Also great looking product, glad people are still working on the TH! Thanks for the great product, hopefully products soon!
I am the customer he is talking about, and flipping the nut to the bottom is the only issue i see for clearance. I was planning on that anyway just for ease of assembly/dis-assembly. I think stacking the BMRC shock tower will actually help with the shock length you can use (right now you are limited to about 80-90MM. not a lot of good shocks in that range without limiting them internally). The only other issue is going to be clearance for batteries. I don't race and i use slim 1000-1300 Mah batteries anyway so for me it is a non issue. Once i get the parts I will post up in this thread with the results.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Payment sent

Can't wait for some slop free steering. I race my hammer around a track and this will be a huge improvement.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
I am the customer he is talking about, and flipping the nut to the bottom is the only issue i see for clearance. I was planning on that anyway just for ease of assembly/dis-assembly. I think stacking the BMRC shock tower will actually help with the shock length you can use (right now you are limited to about 80-90MM. not a lot of good shocks in that range without limiting them internally). The only other issue is going to be clearance for batteries. I don't race and i use slim 1000-1300 Mah batteries anyway so for me it is a non issue. Once i get the parts I will post up in this thread with the results.
On the prototype I did have the nut on the top but have since flipped it to the bottom. It makes it easier to adjust the bellcrank if needed and looks cleaner. Still I think there will be a need to clearance alittle on the shock tower for the screw head. My top plate is 4mm thick so yes, might be easier to run 95mm shocks now.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Wahoooo.. it's on the way!!!

Expected Delivery By: June 22, 2013
Old 06-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #30

Wink Re: ***DERWOOD DESIGNS Double D Steering Kits***

Money sent for my kit. Thanks and God bless!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Got mine installed today it tightened up the slop. Be sure you guys reverse your steering before hitting the dirt. notice the bolt for the tie rods is upside down, it needs to be this way for clearance at the chassis.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371862310.482898.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  49.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371862329.771571.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  58.0 KB
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Can you sell everything except the top plate? I have a GCM shock mount and think I could drill some holes to make the bell cranks fit and work ok.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Just finished putting together this kit, and the BMRC shock tower. I only needed a small amount of modification to the BMRC tower to make it work. I also added 6mm spacers between the chassis, and the plate to create more clearance. this eliminates the need to trim the chassis, and a clearance issue with the chassis/diff bolts, and the tie rod bolts. 3-4MM is probably enough, but all i had was the 6mm in my parts box
I have to say this totally eliminated the steering slop, and fixed a problem with the steering binding to the left. This is a great product.

every thing in black needs to go

on the rig

The dog bones at full droop with 90MM powerstrokes
Old 06-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: ***DERWOOD DESIGNS Double D Steering Kits***

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
Just finished putting together this kit, and the BMRC shock tower. I only needed a small amount of modification to the BMRC tower to make it work. I also added 6mm spacers between the chassis, and the plate to create more clearance. this eliminates the need to trim the chassis, and a clearance issue with the chassis/diff bolts, and the tie rod bolts. 3-4MM is probably enough, but all i had was the 6mm in my parts box
I have to say this totally eliminated the steering slop, and fixed a problem with the steering binding to the left. This is a great product.
Thanks for posting up on the fitment glad it got rid of the binding for you too.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Got mine installed tonight, looks like its going to work awesome, test it tomorrow. Thanks derwood designs.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
MODERHATER™

I just bought a shock brace because I noticed mine was cracked and then found this!!

Nice work! I will be picking one up for sure!!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Great job!! glad to see your intrest in the hammers, i my self did it all the hard way trusty dremil, glad to see u have fixed one of the biggest issues of the hammers
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I like innovative thinking! Solves the biggest issue I have with the TH. If it weren't for the steering being so sloppy I'd probably drive it more often, because if it's not wandering around it's really fun.

I'll be picking up one of these for sure...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Is there a way to adapt this to the BMRC upright mount without stacking it on top? My servo winch touches the cage now, so I have no room to go up.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #40
TSK
Shelf queen

Just wanted to post up some pics of my install using one of the tube upright shock towers from one of RCC's vendors. Went on smooth and pain free. Just need some slightly longer hardware to compensate for the beefy bellcrank/shock mount plate.

The Double D steering setup is Tits and you can't go wrong
Closed Thread

***DERWOOD DESIGNS Double D Steering Kits*** - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***Derwood Designs Double D steering kit for Twin Hammers*** derwood21 Chassis and Suspension 72 02-17-2016 07:39 PM
Steering linkage kits simon170 HPI Wheely King 24 01-27-2008 02:19 AM
BTA steering kits? LIKES2CRAWL Tamiya Clod Buster 35 06-26-2007 11:07 AM
Clod Steering Kits ??? TIMZKRAWLER Newbie General 1 04-17-2007 07:25 PM
bta steering kits andrewmp6 Tamiya Clod Buster 14 11-12-2006 11:45 PM