Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: wanting a winner... build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #241
Rock Crawler

Sounds like u got a badass job
masonis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #242
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: wanting a winner... build thread

Yeah its got its perks! .... Like playing in the dirt every day an every time I did rock out, I think bout crawling!

So I weighed the 2 3/4 x 3 1/2 piece I have an its 51 grams.. till I drill bend an reduce extra material I can have it down under an ounce... Will that hurt or make a noticeable diff? If so I can always take it off... I just didn't like rolling over an having my battery hit the rock an pillow up.. rigs running great an settling down when TT does kick in. It will be nice to come home from work tomm an have a package from Rmdw! The mail is so slow around holidays.... Once I test out shaping the carbon fiber I have, ill see how it goes, I'll make a battery guard out of It too.. lighter an strong enough for what I want...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #243
Quarry Creeper

I can't see an ounce of weight centered on the front axle making a big difference. A different size/brand battery or servo would sometimes have more of a weight change.
But I would'nt take weight out of the wheels to counter center axle weight. That's 2 different things. But moving weight from the wheels to the knuckle I would and should be an improvement.
28offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #244
I wanna be Dave

Well its a great day! It's my wifes bday and I got a present!

And for what's inside..........

Awesome!......
Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #245
Rock Crawler

Lucky... Just a question, what the diffenece between this chassis and other chassis on the market? Looks the same as a lot of others... Also, why would you need a different chassis? Just to tune the suspension more?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #246
RCC Addict

first of all there is only one other chassis on the market that is a direct biult up to the stock venom trans. also rmdw's chassis is the only chassis that has the sharp edges and the overal shaped chassis like this. his chassis is one of a kind and althou u may find chassis' out there that look similar, u will never find one that is exactly the same that is made by a different company.

tuning the suspention is not just about springs, oil weight, and piston hole count and size (if u want to get really technical). it is about placement and and angels as well. if u look at that chassis u will see a tun more mounting holes for the upper shock mount. you will never get this tunablity out of the stock chassis. also it has a lot more upper link placement holes, these holes will give u a lot more tunabity in pinion angel wether postive or negative, and it will also help with chassis roll of TT. with the right placement u can almost eleminate chassis twist.

the more options u have for placing the shocks and upper links, the more u can tune the suspension to your liking, wether it is reaction time of the suspension or the angel of the shock or how the total shock stroke is used
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #247
Rock Crawler

Oh now i fully understand. Thanks. I didnt know if you can just swap the skid from chassis to chassis to change the chassis. Hah i guess i was wrong!!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #248
RCC Addict

if u look closely u will see that every chassis has a different bolt partern or a different space between the bolts holding the trans or skid on.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #249
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
if u look closely u will see that every chassis has a different bolt partern or a different space between the bolts holding the trans or skid on.
I understand.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #250
I wanna be Dave

Lol, what did I miss! I think mason just asked why to change the chassis...... I missed out on answering.. oh no fair! Very well put crawlerdud! I'll leave it at that... Not too mention.. have you looked at this thing! It's awesome! I'm tearing down the old chassis now.. but here is the chassis waiting to go on.

Last edited by winnerone23; 04-09-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #251
I wanna be Dave

Wow that was quick! Chassis off...

An now just a couple ideas of the diff in them.. side by side...

Now its down to taking the links out from between the tranny an skid an mounting everything back up... I'm not so sure that will be as quick tho! Lol...
I won't be able to sleep tho, so I better get to it..
Any hints or tips from anyone with one would be great!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #252
RCC Addict

if i remember correctly you already shortened the rear lower links. other than that just make sure you cut your driveshaft in the rear right and that u may have to lengthen your front one as well.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #253
I wanna be Dave

Yep, rear links cut an I did cut my rear shaft down,( not my traxxas shaft tho) I cut down a used axial shaft with metal yokes. Yeah I'm thinkin I have to find a spring an do like Thomas.. or is there a diff shaft set ur using? I already have the long truck shafts.. is there longer?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #254
I wanna be Dave

Well, I got my self a roller! It looks sweet!...... I need to mod the front drive shaft an cut on for the rear.. well maybe not for the rear yet. I'm at a 12 5/8 wheel base just sitting there an 13 compressed.. great, now I have to cut an tap again! Haha oh well... I'm goin to scrap the carbon for the other rig an use it on this one. At least for hood an roof. Not sure I want to cover the sides in it yet. Then again I dunno, I bought a full set of links from a safari creeper today in the gun metal/black color for cheap. They would look great on for the front links an the upper rear.. now on with it...

It even cleared up the servo from hitting the shocks!

And one for fun...

So other then the front shaft needing modded an the rear lowers needing shortened an tapped for wheel base, all in all, a great build an Not all that long to do. Keeping in mind I already had the prep work done. Rear links shortened, f/r truss on an the chassis pre built..

Last edited by winnerone23; 04-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #255
I wanna be Dave

I have a couple pics of my spacer setup for my links at the chassis.. looking for anything that would help with whether or not I have it right.. I ran out of long screws an spacers pretty quick. I have left over aluminum link from cutting down my rear links so I'm going to cut some to fit. Were needed an to length needed...

They aren't the best pics. There are no spacers in my top links.. there is one ball end spacer in my front lower,(away from the chassis) there are two in my rear links( away from the chassis)

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #256

rig is looking pretty sweet! how do those bent links on your rear pumpkin work? i saw that on yours and did it to mine! genius idea man! also what wheels are those they are sick

Last edited by prozac0107; 04-10-2012 at 04:52 AM.
prozac0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #257
I wanna be Dave

The bent links on the pumpkin came from Rmdw.. idea.. I also copied.. the wheels are ckrc "skinny" wheels.. there burg off set so I had to mesh a 5mm spacer with my hex to run them.. thanks, I'm loving them... They are sick! Plus I got them off the for sale section on here for 40$ with blue dot rovers! Brand new at that!

Last edited by winnerone23; 04-10-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #258
RCC Addict

i would say get a set of white dot rovers and some nova foams they work great but me personally i like sedonas (i run them on my xr) with nova foams and couldnt be happyer
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #259
I wanna be Dave

I have white dots on them, they just came with blue dots... I run paradox dual foams in the white dots, I couldn't be happier...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #260
RCC Addict

ah ok sorry didnt catch that

one thing iv noticed is that all the vultures look like there rear bias witch means that you have to add more weight up front why not just more the whole chassis forward? and then not run as much weight up front?
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote

wanting a winner... build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanting to build a quadcopter iamsuperbleeder Non Crawler RC's 21 03-25-2012 11:42 PM
Wanting to build my own lcc xThexFearedx Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 04-18-2010 11:26 PM
T-shirt winner(s) thread Cloak General Crawlers 23 08-14-2009 08:56 PM
wanting to try another tuber build iceman320 General Crawlers 8 03-29-2009 06:22 PM
wanting to build a clod PONYBOY87LX Tamiya Clod Buster 5 01-25-2008 11:52 AM