Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1967 F-250 - Headquake inspired wood build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #41
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Re: 1967 F-250 - Headquake inspired wood build

Wow. You've done a excellent job on this thing. It should handle and look very realistic.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Hoosierdady - I still have a lot of tweeking to do - the front springs are little bit too long I think - the wheels are not sitting quite where they should be in the wheel wells...and I need to wedge the front lift blocks to get the angle sorted out on the drive shaft - it is currently pointing slightly in the wrong direction! LOL

Still need to sort out mounting plates, crossbracing, etc., as well - so lots to do yet - but I am so excited to have it at this point - finally!
heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #43
Fan of wheelspeed

I assume you'll be painting it the same color. What paint are you planning on using. Won;t thinner paint soak into the wood like water and leave a dull/grainy finish?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

all of the wood will be getting a coat of poly to seal it before painting - that will serve two purposes - 1. seal the wood against moisture issues, and 2. help prevent the paint from being soaked in too much. and it will probably get a light coat or two of primer just to even out the tones of the wood.

I have 2 jars of some testors enamel in a color very close to the 1:1 - I will need to lighten it up a bit tho - it is a bit to dark to use as is.

Last edited by heartless; 03-17-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

spent a bit of time tweeking the suspension today. First thing was to wedge the front lift blocks...

and reinstall...

And mounted back on the frame rails...

and a view from the back end...

has much more suspension movement now than it did last night - and I figured out how to get it purely by accident! LOL

Next order of business I think is going to be working out mounting plates for the motor/trans, and the transfer case. I kind of know how I want to be, but actually getting it there...might take a bit of fiddling with.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

nice build man! i also have a 67 f100 (now a 250 with 8 lug, dana 60 and front disk brakes), and big block. i love this truck. even has the same white wheels like you have

make me want to build a scale replica too!
ninetwofiveRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Very Very nice work. Keep it up..
Big Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetwofiveRC View Post
nice build man! i also have a 67 f100 (now a 250 with 8 lug, dana 60 and front disk brakes), and big block. i love this truck. even has the same white wheels like you have make me want to build a scale replica too!
Not a "man" but, Thank you. And if you are inspired to build one that is even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worm View Post
Very Very nice work. Keep it up..
Thanks.

Next week is spring break - hoping to have a runner by the end of that week!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #49
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartless View Post
all of the wood will be getting a coat of poly to seal it before painting - that will serve two purposes - 1. seal the wood against moisture issues, and 2. help prevent the paint from being soaked in too much. and it will probably get a light coat or two of primer just to even out the tones of the wood.

I have 2 jars of some testors enamel in a color very close to the 1:1 - I will need to lighten it up a bit tho - it is a bit to dark to use as is.
You going to airbrush it or rattle can? Please tell me you arent brushing it on.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
You going to airbrush it or rattle can? Please tell me you arent brushing it on.

Ok, I wont!

Honestly, I havent really settled on how I am going to do it just yet - I do have an airbrush (a few actually) but enamal paints are such are pain to clean up afterwards.... But it would give better results... ah, decisions, decisions...

one last pic for the picture hounds this week...standing on her own. no extra supports.

digging thru our extra parts boxes, I found some delrin links that werent being used for anything, and they are the perfect length to fit between the frame rails, so now the frame is nice & solid for figuring out the various mounts for the drivetrain. They are only temporary, but they work perfectly. I may end up leaving one or two in the back half - will have to see how things develope...

ok - 2 pics...sorry this one is kind of blurry - cell phone...

Last edited by heartless; 03-18-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

It's looking very good but you might need some slightly larger tires lol, but that's just my opinion. I like the stance reminds me of the old F-250 Highboy. Keep up the great work can't wait to see it in paint!
JBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

your chassic is starting to look as good as the rest of your truck. keep up the good work
gba442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #53

from the begining the connection with the 1:1
is obvious. The truck is real nice and you are now our inspiration.
my histrory 63,76,79,89,92,00
dr dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
It's looking very good but you might need some slightly larger tires lol, but that's just my opinion. I like the stance reminds me of the old F-250 Highboy. Keep up the great work can't wait to see it in paint!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gba442 View Post
your chassic is starting to look as good as the rest of your truck. keep up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dorito View Post
from the begining the connection with the 1:1
is obvious. The truck is real nice and you are now our inspiration.
my histrory 63,76,79,89,92,00

Thanks guys. The comments help keep me motivated.

Still have a ways to go before any paint gets laid on, so dont hold your breath JBailey! LOL

The tires are ridiculously close to what the real truck wore, but yeah, might need to look at something just a tad larger for this, since the stance is a little bit higher than the real one was - the wheels stay, tho!

gba - I hear there is a woodie headed your way - I expect to be seeing some pics from you soon!

dr dorito - glad I could inspire you! that is what sharing all this is about! I was inspired by Headquake, and his fantastic builds, now you are inspired by my (not quite as fantastic as Headquake's) build...kewl!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

heartless, the 63 is on its way. ron sent me a tracking#,looks like next wed. been gathering parts for chassic. now my work is picking up so 5-10s an half sat. so I'll have to pull night shift in the hobbie room. your build is looking real good. I know you have a pretty full plate yourself.
gba442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Well - have had a small change in plans... I wasnt completely happy with the stance - too tall...

was browsing thru some other builds and saw something that got me to thinking (uh-oh!) so i decided to try it...and here is the result...

This is much closer to where I want it to be - the wheels are actually "in" the wheel wells...

what I did - flipped the springs to the bottom of the axle (or more like: flipped the axle over to mount the springs under the axle) but now flex is severly limited in the front - the back is reduced a little, but some tweeking will correct that - the front however....no help for it - need arches to allow for more movement - which means a new frame...

Tomorrow the workbench in the garage gets cleared off, the harbor freight bench top bender comes out, and i dig out my stash of 1/2" square tubing....
Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

New stance looks much better, Good job!
JBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Thanks JBailey - but it is a long way from "just right" yet - altho it is much closer.

Have a date with some 1/2" square steel tubing, the bender, the drill press, and the bandsaw in a little while (waiting for it to warm up at least a little bit before heading out to the unheated garage - LOL temps in the teens are not real conducive to wanting to go outside...)

gotta try to remember to take the camera out with me too...
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Ok, so here are the results of my date out in the garage yesterday...was a bit late by the time I got the pics edited & uploaded...

Tool of choice to begin the metal torture...

And the torture begins...

That torture was followed up by a quick visit with the band saw to trim to length...

Then a trip to the drill press for a few holes (not all yet, but a few). Wont bore everyone with the drill press pics - I am sure you all know what one of those look like, and what they do. :p

then back to the band saw...and a couple of minutes in things look like this...

A few more minutes, and this is the result...

Got a little deformation during the bending process - probably could have avoided some of it by using a larger die - but hey...learning process, right?

Oh well... Onward...

came back in the house and got thawed out...and started planning the new stationary spring mounts...final patterns are made - after a couple of not quite right attempts...They are not sitting exactly how they will be - still need to drill the second hole for each - but you get the idea...

Front:

Rear:

Took everything back apart so it is ready to go back out to the garage to fab up the mounting plates - and that is where things were at when I quit for the night...
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

I like your bender. Looks like you have a nicely equipped shop. Always a plus.
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote

1967 F-250 - Headquake inspired wood build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inspired by Headquake! My first try at a Wood body scaler rgf27 1.5 Scale Rigs 55 02-26-2013 07:16 PM
Got inspired to build Knytemare Scale Accessories 9 10-21-2011 09:28 PM
JamesBernatchez inspired build. chino 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 06-27-2007 08:38 PM
How thick is yer wood? Work-bench wood! utbeamer Chit Chat 8 03-17-2005 12:45 AM