Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1967 F-250 - Headquake inspired wood build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 1967 F-250 - Headquake inspired wood build

Thanks Dave - but if you only knew! LOL

we have a fairly large garage - 30ft deep, by 36 ft wide - 3 car - and it is cram packed full of "Stuff" - cant get a car in there!
Ok, so there is one car (a 1973 Lincoln Mark IV), 5 motorcycles, a skid steer, 4 bicycles, and various other garage type items, like the drill press, bandsaw, air compressor, welder, small table saw, and a few other items - but still way too much other "stuff"! I really need to sort thru all of it and have one heck of a garage sale - SOON! It is getting hard to even move around out there!

We lost both of the other half's parents roughly a year apart, and lost my mom in between his - so we "inherited" a lot of extra stuff and no where to put it all, but the garage...Just havent had the time or energy to go thru it all.

Well, just about time to get things together and head back out to the disaster area we call a garage! LOL Those spring hangers arent going to fabricate themselves...
heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

made a bit more progress today.

Laid out...

holes drilled - a sacrificial scrap of plywood allows drilling all holes at once - then file the burs off...

All cut out...fronts

and rears...

bolted together for shaping...

each piece got a little individual smoothing, and then bolted to the frame...

and front...

and rear...

and the new stance...I think that once I get the drivetrain installed, it will sit just about perfect!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

I like that stance too:thumbup:
Are you going to do a dig setup on the tranny? Little two wheel drive and four when you the going get tough.
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

Very nice F100, it looks much better with the lower stance.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by railripper View Post
I like that stance too:thumbup:
Are you going to do a dig setup on the tranny? Little two wheel drive and four when you the going get tough.
probably not since I know nothing about dig setups - lol trying to keep it "relatively" simple. LOL in fact, the original one this is modeled after was a straight 2 whl drive - so not an exact duplicate, but I can live with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
Very nice F100, it looks much better with the lower stance.
Thanks, greenjk - I am liking the new stance much more, too - but it is an F250.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartless View Post
probably not since I know nothing about dig setups - lol trying to keep it "relatively" simple. LOL in fact, the original one this is modeled after was a straight 2 whl drive - so not an exact duplicate, but I can live with it!

Thanks, greenjk - I am liking the new stance much more, too - but it is an F250.
Amazing work you've done. Looks awesome. Couldn't you just not hook up the front driveshaft to make it a pseudo 2 wheel drive if you really wanted? I've got a '79 f150 myself. 2 wheel drive long bed. Gets about 10 MPG with it's mildly built 302 lol
Raiderfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Amazing work you've done. Looks awesome. Couldn't you just not hook up the front driveshaft to make it a pseudo 2 wheel drive if you really wanted? I've got a '79 f150 myself. 2 wheel drive long bed. Gets about 10 MPG with it's mildly built 302 lol
Thanks, Raiderfan. I spose I could do that...hmmm, would negate having to order another driveshaft, too. will definitely think about it.

I like the 302's - my first car was a 73 Maverick with a factory installed 302 & no, not a Grabber version either - it was a base 2 dr model, in the ugly baby crap green, ordered with that motor. Had a LOT of fun with that little car. can you say "sleeper"? hehehe
Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #68
Fan of wheelspeed

nice progress so far. Those frame rails look alot better than the original game plan. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the paint aspect of this build.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #69

that looks awsome . thank you for share ing
dr dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
nice progress so far. Those frame rails look alot better than the original game plan. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the paint aspect of this build.
Thanks, Hoosierdady - still a long ways from paint tho - not to mention it is just too cold for painting yet (spring has not sprung here yet! lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dorito View Post
that looks awsome . thank you for share ing
Thank you, dr dorito.

Got a few updates coming up the pipeline very soon - but probably not today. Volunteered to help out my LHS - they are getting ready to move to a bigger location in the mall, and still trying to get the new spot ready. Gonna go help paint walls today.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #71
RCC Addict

very nice truck!!! wish i had the attention span, patience and skills for a project like this... hell im having a hard time building a crew cab ford and juggling 3 projects at once..

we have one of them "disaster" areas too.. 30ft wide and 40ft long... not much room to move around with all the regular tools (air compressor, 2 band saws, welder, 2 big ass tool boxes, wood stove, enough lawnmower parts to build another one, parts washer, drill press, 5 lawnmowers, 3 mopeds and dad added a 1984 mini austin a couple days ago so not too much room left haha..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Ok - who is ready for some updates??? Anyone? Everyone? hehe

here we go...

we will start here - all the pieces laid out - ready for assembly...
We have a steering servo mount (that one was LOTS of work) a motor/trans mount, and a transfer case mount - along with all the related pieces and parts.

backing up a little - in order to make sure the servo mount was nice and solid, I had to do a little re-engineering of the front spring hangers...the outer pieces were incorporated into the servo mounting plate - lots of cardboard was cut up, discarded, and another peice made to get it to "final" pattern...

getting it all bent up was a lot of work...

and the finished peice...

What you dont see (& I didnt take pictures of) was the work that went into trimming the upper part back because I made it too big by less than 1/8 inch...the spring hangers were fine and fit well, but the rest had to be cut back a bit so that the body would sit on the frame correctly. To say it nicely - it was a huge chore to get it corrected. A couple hours worth of chore... :rant: I also had to cut out a small area in order to be able to fit the middle bolts/nuts for the spring hanger portion...thank goodness for rotary tools & diamond bits!

Ok, so onward... the motor and transfer case mounts are much simpler affairs, so I wont bore you with pics of fabbing those (besides, I didnt take any! LOL) The same process was used - cardboard patterns made, transferred to the metal, holes drilled, and bent up...the bends being much less complicated...and the finished parts look like this...

Motor/trans mount on the frame...

and transfer case mount on the frame...

was running very low on 3mm locknuts - thus the mismatched nuts in the pics. The good news is we got a bulk order of hardware yesterday, so I can get everything mounted properly now.

motor mounted up...

transfer case mounted up...

and now for the fun one - the servo mount/spring hanger...

with axle installed...

and with the body on it...lots of clearance under the hood.

Thats all I have for now. It has been a long few days, and there are household chores that need catching up on that have been ignored for the duration. LOL :whip:
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Your skills put alot of guys to shame.
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiondave View Post
Your skills put alot of guys to shame.
aww, thanks. but it really isnt all that hard - just takes time & patience...and a little planning.

ok, a lot of planning...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

You know its a good thing that you did a CMS because otherwise your servo would totally drag on the ground.

Just kidding! it looks awesome!
That CMS/spring hanger is brilliant
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon View Post
You know its a good thing that you did a CMS because otherwise your servo would totally drag on the ground.

Just kidding! it looks awesome!
That CMS/spring hanger is brilliant

Yeah, I know - one of those things that still needs to be taken care of! LOL
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Did I miss the reason why you haven't removed the servo posts?;) She's coming along nicely..or should I say he??
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

heartless, truck is comming along nicely, really like what you have done with the chassic. I think was in your an madkows area last mon. I was in boomer buying a beater truck. keep up the great work.
gba442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

No railripper - you havent missed anything - just havent gotten around to taking them off yet, LOL

gba - if you meant Bloomer (with an "L") - then yeah, you were about an hour and a half Northwest from us
Old 03-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

well - havent done a whole lot in the last few days, kind of burned out - but did putz around with making a few detail bits...

Mirrors, door handles, and hood letters...

And the badges that go on the sides of the hood...

1967 F-250 - Headquake inspired wood build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inspired by Headquake! My first try at a Wood body scaler rgf27 1.5 Scale Rigs 55 02-26-2013 07:16 PM
Got inspired to build Knytemare Scale Accessories 9 10-21-2011 09:28 PM
JamesBernatchez inspired build. chino 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 06-27-2007 08:38 PM
How thick is yer wood? Work-bench wood! utbeamer Chit Chat 8 03-17-2005 12:45 AM