Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BRUTICUS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BRUTICUS

I love this build, skimmed it once or twice before and now it’s really coming along.
I like the D rings. Not sure about a winch on a mudder like this, at least not an exposed one on the bumper. The “snatch strap” looped on the rings or even some hooks would suit it nice. But of course it’s your truck, just thought I’d share. Watching this one for sure, already gave me some great ideas and how-to.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
I love this build, skimmed it once or twice before and now it’s really coming along.
I like the D rings. Not sure about a winch on a mudder like this, at least not an exposed one on the bumper. The “snatch strap” looped on the rings or even some hooks would suit it nice. But of course it’s your truck, just thought I’d share. Watching this one for sure, already gave me some great ideas and how-to.
Glad you like it. This is not going to be so much a mud truck. I want this to be a torque puller and a part-time trail truck. I really want to put a winch in it. I been looking at this puppy....

If I can ever afford it I'm gonna get it. That winch would b a perfect fit on Bruticus.
I also found it at my job....

The perfect scale chain. Planning on getting some hooks for each end. That's gonna be my "snatch strap".

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Something I always wanted to try but was hesitant. Metal work. Had some 1/2 inch brass tube laying around so I pulled out my torch and start bending. After a few minutes I had some new frame rails. Also soldered on the front leaf shackle mounts. First time attempting soldering and it's harder then I imagined so it looks rough but it's strong. Now I have to get the dremel and a cut off wheel to split it in half to create the rails.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Got to do a little more work on the chassis this morning. Got the rear leaf spring mounts soldered on and the frame rails cut in two. Decided to mount the suspension and put the cab before on before I go any further to see if I like the look of it. I not only like it I LOVE it. Still have to figure out how to mount the other shackles to the frame. Time for brainstorming. Tell me what you think. Til next time Thanks for looking.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
Got to do a little more work on the chassis this morning. Got the rear leaf spring mounts soldered on and the frame rails cut in two. Decided to mount the suspension and put the cab before on before I go any further to see if I like the look of it. I not only like it I LOVE it. Still have to figure out how to mount the other shackles to the frame. Time for brainstorming. Tell me what you think. Til next time Thanks for looking.

Looking good man. Lot of work going into this thing. Love tinkering on these trucks.
Might need to look into a set of these wheels for mine. Look pretty good with the rock stompers. Are they beadlock?

Mine will never be completely done haha.

Keep going dude. Be pretty badass someday when it's finished, or atleast moving haha.
webbl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbl19 View Post
Looking good man. Lot of work going into this thing. Love tinkering on these trucks.
Might need to look into a set of these wheels for mine. Look pretty good with the rock stompers. Are they beadlock?

Mine will never be completely done haha.

Keep going dude. Be pretty badass someday when it's finished, or atleast moving haha.
Thanks. There is a lot of work in it but I'm loving every minute of it. I don't think my truck will ever be completed either, even when it's finished there's always upgrades. I really wish the wheels were beadlocks. They're 1.7 Lesu semi rear dually wheels and hubs for 1/14 semi trucks with the 1.5 tires stretched mounted. The fronts are the same as the rears only with one wheel mounted to the hub.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Looks good Rick, might need a few extra crossmembers in there to keep the frame from twisting, but other than that
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Looks good Rick, might need a few extra crossmembers in there to keep the frame from twisting, but other than that
Thanks. Figuring out where to put the crossmembers is the next step in going to tackle.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:04 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Back again doing more work on this piece of junk lol. Soldering is tedious but fun once you get the hang of it. I was having a hard time with my parts not staying together until I realized I was using TOO much heat. I used the trail finder 2 servo crossmember to mount the servo. Also switch the servo around so the servo arm will be on the drivers side with the steering link going to the passenger side like it should. Soldered on the leaf spring mounts. Then realized I miscalculated and the rear shackle mounts were back too far. There was no articulation in the rear. Installed new mounts to solve this problem. Now I can adjust it so if I'm pulling or carrying a heavy load, I can make the leaf springs stiff for less sag. Got one rear crossmember soldered in. Finally the part that gave me the most headache and joy. The transfer case crossmember. Figuring out how to design this part took a while. Then I remembered I had a roll of brake line laying around. I used a paperclip to make a rough template of the crossmember. After a lot of bending, test fitting, and soldering I had it finished. Now all I have to do is drill the holes to mount the transfer case. As you can see I got great ground clearance. The transfer case barely shows below the frame. So this is where my hunk of junk sits right now. Don't look like much is done but it's major progress to me being this is my first time trying all this. Lots more to do but that's for another time. Until then thanks for looking.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:44 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Started scratch building another Cummins engine. This one is going to hold the motor and planetary gearbox inside.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Progress on the Cummins. Worked on the front section (made it removable), intake and exhaust manifold, and the valve covers. Very tedious work but loved every second. Still got a lot to do to the engine and then after that the big step..... A scratch built transmission!

Old 12-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Mocked

Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Awesome build, the engine is going to look spectacular
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:31 AM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Cummins progress. Worked on the diesel fuel pump (aka p-pump), fuel lines, and the little nuts and bolts detail. If I knew scratch building was this fun I would have been doing it a long time ago. Still have to build the intake tubes, exhaust manifold tubes and turbo. But that's for another time. My hands are tired lol.Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Rickleo; 12-08-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
Cummins progress. Worked on the diesel fuel pump (aka p-pump), fuel lines, and the little nuts and bolts detail. If I knew scratch building was this fun I would have been doing it a long time ago. Still have to build the intake tubes, exhaust manifold tubes and turbo. But that's for another time. My hands are tired lol.Thanks for looking.

The motor is looking good! You might convince me to build one for the 6x6 tractor, since the hood is going to open.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #76

That looks really good!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post
The motor is looking good! You might convince me to build one for the 6x6 tractor, since the hood is going to open.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I think scratch building a scale Cat diesel engine would look great in your 6x6. Exclusive RC sells a nice looking Cat engine you could use as a reference. Give it a try. With your styrene skills, I know it would look awesome (peer pressure lol).

Old 12-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Awesome build, the engine is going to look spectacular
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That looks really good!
Thanks for the compliment.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Cummins progress. Exhaust headers, turbo, and intake tube installed.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #80
Oppan Gangnam Style

Very nice work, that's a lot of awesome detail!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BRUTICUS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually Wrecker by Trailworx Garage H2Micr0 1.5 Scale Rigs 24 02-19-2017 08:47 PM
chevy crew cab dually S10XtremeSR Micro Scale Rigs 4 03-22-2015 05:18 PM
Chevy Crew Cab Dually makaveliks 1.9 Scale Rigs 222 11-17-2014 08:32 AM