Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: PipeDreams Sporty FastBack Build!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Brian- Most guys run a 4 inch shocks on the FB and my big bores are the 4 inch version... well kinda 4... with a cap mod they are 4. XXL 2662 in case you need to know. It really depends on the belly clearance you want... When I get mine together I'll let you know if the 3.5's could work or not...

Thanks Bill and DT... I Just did a big trip and leaving tomorrow for another so I'll post pics fri! My 300's came today and all I can say is !!! Pics do them no justice... these things are massive! Still trying to get my VP stuff... seems black transmission cases aren't easy to get right now... Frustrating when I'll have to wait another 2 weeks after I have all my other stuff before my VP stuff shows up. I"ll call tomorrow and get some answers!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Super 300's are bad ass You will never have to worry about breaking a front axle again. One of the best moves i ever made. The only problem is you start to think your rig is indestructible, and start breaking other things (housings for one). I have a heavy finger
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
Super 300's are bad ass You will never have to worry about breaking a front axle again. One of the best moves i ever made. The only problem is you start to think your rig is indestructible, and start breaking other things (housings for one). I have a heavy finger
Been there... You will love those 300's. They will feel clunky for a bit until they break in, perfectly normal.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Been there... You will love those 300's. They will feel clunky for a bit until they break in, perfectly normal.
Also make sure you locktight the bearing!!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Thanks guys... I did read about the bearing and SDS said they were going to release a newer version with a bearing retainer but it looks like mine are still the original ones without it. NO biggy a little locktite goes a long way... Got my Free Gunnar pins today and my BWD motor plate. We'll see what shows up tomorrow! A little more every day lol. My 300's just playing with them don't feel to chunky just in one small spot but that's maxed right out lol. We'll see how it goes. The whole front diff is getting built at the same time with beef tubes new knuckles and well I'm at it figured I'd clock the diff! I hate getting busy when parts to show up but I'll see what I can get done this weekend... Pics to come
Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Thanks guys... I did read about the bearing and SDS said they were going to release a newer version with a bearing retainer but it looks like mine are still the original ones without it. NO biggy a little locktite goes a long way... Got my Free Gunnar pins today and my BWD motor plate. We'll see what shows up tomorrow! A little more every day lol. My 300's just playing with them don't feel to chunky just in one small spot but that's maxed right out lol. We'll see how it goes. The whole front diff is getting built at the same time with beef tubes new knuckles and well I'm at it figured I'd clock the diff! I hate getting busy when parts to show up but I'll see what I can get done this weekend... Pics to come
Yea, i used red locktite on mine.The first time i forgotYou won free pins?So did I Sounds like you front end is going to be solid. Did you get different hexes? or are you gonna drill yours?(2 different size holes) make sure you dont drill the big hole too deep, or they are sloppy and wobbly.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Na I'll drill them my self when I build the rest of it... I'll get my buddy to do my ring gear and drill tap my beef tubes all while I'm there. Love having a machine shop in my buddies garage lol. Him and I are both very picky so I'm sure things will come out real nice... I have a few things I'll take pics of that I plan to do well I'm at his place and the machines are up and running!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #88
RCC Addict

OK couple pics of where I'm starting at!

Some of the new parts.

Man these things are insane huge! Love it!

My new spring cups made to fit the big bore rod end and fit the small losi spring. The also raise the spring seat 1.5mm to gain a little more clearance. Progress pics from the first proto to the one we used.

Truck as it sat before I ripped it all apart.

New motor plate put on... In all honesty I haven't had huge luck with VF/DNA/BWD but I have to say this is the best piece I have gotten from or dealt with from them... Although I must warn you as I mentioned I'm SUPER fussy! It's clean and I like the reverse bolts with nuts on them... gets things good and tight and no worries of stripping the AL plate like in the past! So tight in fact I managed to crush one of the spacers and had to put another one in.. One thing I noticed is all my spacers had a tiny bit a play in them before I tightened the bolts. Had to really tighten them down to get them to work... even my AL stock ones did. I used some rtr plastic spacers to get rid of the green for some black... the motor plate comes with one spacer (raw AL) but it too was the same length as all mine and they all seemed slightly short. The only odd thing I noticed about this plate is the bottom edge on both sides has a funny finish to it... kinda rippled. You can see it in the pics.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #89
RCC Addict

So what shows up in the mail today???? My brood motor.... Oddly enough with another one beside it??? WTF I ask myself. I get to PMing Eddie and it turns out he made a mistake and made me 2 motors thinking they were going in an MOA but I only paid for 1. I tell him I was going to order a set for my xr in a few months and he says oh well then keep it for your xr! So now i have a matched pair for my xr when the time comes lol. But till then I'll use one of them for this build.... Thanks Eddie!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Rig is looking great man. Nice job on those spring retainers
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #91
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
....and he says oh well then keep it for your xr!
Pure Class
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #92
RCC Addict

Thanks DT... should work good too... Going on holidays tomorrow so I won't get a chance to work on it till next weekend... Hoping to get my front diff done and a few other parts done. I'd love to make it a roller next weekend.. but we'll see what happens.

CHUD- Ya I can't say enough how good Eddie has been through this whole motor thing... I must have asked him 2 dozen questions before buying and then he goes and lets me keep the extra motor... Super quality guy! Will recommend him to everyone.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #93
Rock Stacker

Lookin good can't wait to see the action shots!
dR. hOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Looking good PD Ok its my turn to ask some questions now, what kind of shocks are those?whats the eye to eye measurement? what kind of springs? do you know the spring rate on those, are they comparable to losi golds?Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Oh the tables turned lol... They are Traxxas big bores XXL part#2662, springs are losi pinks stiffer then gold only because I can't get short springs that soft. They are 2.3 lbs and the golds are 1.4 The part number for those are #117. They come in a pack of 3 and each pair get more and more firm. Eye to eye I'm not sure they are less then 4 stock but I'll be doing the cap mod and that brings them to almost right on 4"..... I won't lie I stole most of this info from.... you guessed it Gunnar! lol He did all my r&d. Should make for a nice compact, smooth setup.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh the tables turned lol... They are Traxxas big bores XXL part#2662, springs are losi pinks stiffer then gold only because I can't get short springs that soft. They are 2.3 lbs and the golds are 1.4 The part number for those are #117. They come in a pack of 3 and each pair get more and more firm. Eye to eye I'm not sure they are less then 4 stock but I'll be doing the cap mod and that brings them to almost right on 4"..... I won't lie I stole most of this info from.... you guessed it Gunnar! lol He did all my r&d. Should make for a nice compact, smooth setup.
Thanks Pd, for the info Like the shock setup. Might look at those for my new truck.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #97
Sometimes, I make things.

Lots of nice parts on this rig, should be a kickass truck when its finally mobile again.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
Like the shock setup. Might look at those for my new truck.
Two things are stopping me from this setup. The spring rate of the pinks, I like the super soft rate I get with my losi golds. And the crazyorgin caps that are on their way to me for the axial shocks to test. I have to at least beat the crap out of his caps for a bit before I consider a shock change.

Are you running 2 slugs in the rear tires PD? Or do you have 2 sets for the front weighted different? I had much better luck with my Fastback running it light in the ass. .7" SLW v3's with rovers.

Last edited by DickyT; 11-05-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #99
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I always thought the pink springs were pretty soft for my rigs, I tried them and used 45-55 wt oil, but still got too much sag for my liking. I like to use the orange firmer springs, just depends on your setup of course.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I always thought the pink springs were pretty soft for my rigs, I tried them and used 45-55 wt oil, but still got too much sag for my liking. I like to use the orange firmer springs, just depends on your setup of course.
Rig weight may play into it there Scott. What are your rigs weighing in at? My XR is currently 5 lbs 2 oz. anything stiffer than golds and it bounces. I like just a bit of sag too. Not a fan of the shocks riding at maximum height, I like just a bit of down travel available in them. I sag about 1/8" of the shock shaft on golds at current weight.

I ran my Fastback with golds on all 4 corners as well, same sag as my XR, thicker oils though as it was 5 lbs 14 oz.

I would love to find a mini spring in the 1.4 rate and run big bores.