Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: PipeDreams Sporty FastBack Build!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Bill... ya the only down fall I can see to these shocks is the heavier spring rate... if you're stuck on the soft rate then they won't work so well... With a set of caps from CO like what gunnar has on his shocks it really looks like a beef way to secure the rod ends. If mine leak I may try sealing them with an o-ring if I can.

CO- Thanks man... Been dreaming of all my wish list parts for a while and figured I'm finally just gonna do it! Then of course the xr comes out but I'll just have to do another one for that lol.

DT- No I'm running DH up front... waiting on my VP order to load up my other set of dh with weights and a new set of SLW 1 wide for the rear. Stickin to what I've seen work for you guys... I'll play with weight up front but at least I'll have enough to load them up or not.

Ya spring tunning comes down to rig weight, ride height (down travel at resting height), and personal preference. Some prefer no down travel so they are always topped out and others like a little give. I've always ran my crawler with no down travel and a soft but not too soft spring rate. We'll see on this rig what I do as I'll much more options to run different rates. Looking at a KCJ tie rod... Looks good and seems to clear most of the vitals. Might look into grabbin one. I'm really hoping Juan picks up Duuuuude's new front plate design. I think with the 2 it will make for a real nice bolt together front diff!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #102
RCC Addict

Well I got lots done this week... wed went to my buddies and we did some machining on the skid and finished off my front housing. I did some work on it today and started to put it all back together. I got some good photo's but I'm running late and no time to post them right now... I'll post them tue night.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #103
RCC Addict

OK some pics from all the work I've gotten done.. some good pics some cell pics...

Well we'll start with the shock cap mod... I have a full pic by pic step if anyone would like to see... I'll just throw up the first and last.

over all length.. I'll likely need to limit the inside of the shocks... for now I'll mock them up to see just where they sit and how much I'll need to limit them

Got to work in the shop modding my hexes to fit the new 300's.

Built some beef tubes a while back and finally got to put them in...On the housing I sanded off the raised edges from the screw holes and the top and bottom lips where the halves meet so that I can rotate the C on the housing. Just need to drill 2 new holes for the screws and I can clock the pinion and caster angle where ever I like. Oh and the tubes are made from leaded steel! Makes them a tiny bit heavier but my buddy made the inside hole slightly larger then the gunnar tubes so I'm sure they balance out.

After having a few runs on the FB before I found something I really needed to do was add more lateral support when side hilling and getting hung on the belly. The delrin just slides the truck sideways and off the rock it goes... drove me nuts. I went from a cutting board skid that let me stay where ever I wanted, to this that slid everywhere. Before Juan came out with the new skid for the MOA FB I had an idea to mill slots in the skid front to back to help keep it on the rocks side to side but still slide smooth front to back... after seeing his skid I knew I was on the right track.

Other then that I put my lower links on and made new rear uppers so they are straight now. So far just bolting things ups and checking for things as I go... I remember the wb being to long last time by just a bit so I'll need to take a little off the rear links once I get it bolted up and can measure it again. I'll be working on it again this sunday I hope. I bought my first house with my fiancée this week and we are already hard at work doing reno's so she can move in in a few months... gonna be a busy few months so I'll try to keep things coming along on the build but no promises lol.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Sweet! My Vp goodies showed up... finally get this thing almost done... well mostly done any way... still need to decide what to do for a front plate and bta. Should get most of it dialed up on sun.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #105
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post

Before Juan came out with the new skid for the MOA FB I had an idea to mill slots in the skid front to back to help keep it on the rocks side to side but still slide smooth front to back... after seeing his skid I knew I was on the right track.
These are the kinds of things I like to see...making it your own There have been a few others who have done this, and after running my MOA skid I think the F-4, FF-4 and Fastback skids would really benefit from this.

Good luck with the house....I've been in the middle of some renovations lately too so I know how busy you are about to become
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #106
Suck it up!

I milled grooves in mine too, its almost mandatory to keep from sliding off stuff. You don't want to know how I did it though.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Right on glad to see I'm for sure on the right track lol... Bah Duuuuuude... little 5 inch grinder action never hurt

Thanks Juan! Ya things are busy. If I'm not working I'm usually at the house working on it.... thankfully being Christian sunday is a day of rest and thus I get to enjoy what ever I want and not work... So I spend it on my rc so I can get it finished before 2012.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Pd, great work on the skid Let us know how the shocks work out, i also think your gonna have to internally limit them. They are awful long. I had some g-made that were about that long on my ff-4 , they put the chassis way too high.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

I like your skid work! I am thinking maybe I can duplicate it with a table saw, or maybe a router. I have alot more wood working tools than machine shop tools. I'm a home builder though so it comes with the territory.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Thanks guys... Ya shocks will need limiting for sure... I was told the xxl shocks with rod ends would come to just shy of 4 inches but I think those were just the xl's! Oh well now I know... I doubt I'll use all the shock travel anyway.

Ya my dad is a wood worker too and I have a dab of wood working and metal in me. Got tools for both and friends to do anything I need lol... Pays to have friends in all sorts of trades. I'll keep the pics coming. Brian I'll be going to my buddies sun to make your spring cups!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #111

Default Updates

Updates please?

How did the 4 in big bores work out for you?

love the build, envious of the 300 and the spring cups for sure
nutoscaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Oh man sorry guys.... I bought a house and I've been picking up extra miles at work so I've been workin my bag off. Over 80 hours last week plus I worked on the house after that and the same this week it looks like! Wouldn't be so bad if I was at home every night I could at least get little here little there done but being a truck driver I'm only home a few nights a week right now... should all change soon. House is another month or so from being done but work will cool down once the holidays hit! Updates... well I got my skins from Krawler Koncepts in B.C. and holding them up to the light they look awesome... they're inside skins so I can't see anything till I get some lexan. Duuuuude sent me a new front plate I'm gonna see if I can use. Him and I kinda designed it and it sorta matched the rear plate and keeps the rod ends vertical. We both had some idea he put them together and this was the first proto of that. I think he built another but not sure... haven't been on in a little while. Not sure yet but I should have time sun to work on this a bit and I'll give ya some more updates then... Thanks for the nudge!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #113
I wanna be Dave

I got a set of the Krawler Konceptz inside skins for my fastback also. I dig them. Michelle did a great jobPlease post up a pic (when you have time)of the new front mount, im interested to see that.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #114
RCC Addict

It's Duuuuude's old mount... he has a couple pics in his build but I'll be putting it on mine sun and should have some pics for you guys sunday night... work slowed down this coming week so I actually have a life on sunday! Can't wait to start putting my stuff together! I think I have everything to make it go or build what I don't now so it shouldn't take to long to get it in running order. A sunday or 2 and I'm hoping it's drivable!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Well not a ton of time to work on it today but I did get a couple pics... No time to set up my new slw's so I got some dh on front and back for mock up. I got the front plate on and the diffs bolted up so I can set my ride height and figure out my pinion angle. From there I can build my front upper links and then set my caster. My front housing has been all shaved and ready to go just need to get things lined up real nice. I did notice today when putting my VP knuckles on my C's that they were loose and when tightened they were to tight... the top hat bushing was just not big enough to fill the whole void... tried shiming it with a small washer but that was to thick so I was forced to file just a tiny bit off the knuckle to fit the washer in there and not be tight. Fit the washer in and with the bolts tightened down the knuckle can easily flop all over! Any way here's some pics any questions just ask away!

In order to get the ride height I want the front shocks will need to get limited a fair amount. The rear even with razor shock mounts it won't need to get limited near as much... Next sun I'll find out just how much limiting needs to go in each shock, add shock oil, make my front uppers, set my Castor and finish my front axle assembly. Well hopefully anyway lol
Old 12-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #116
Rock Stacker

that bend in the plate is going to be week, especially so close to the screw hole. but i like the idea! do the link clear the DR with them mounted there?
samuraikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #117
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
The part number on top of that 4-link plate looks vaguely familiar
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #118
RCC Addict

Nope Duuuuude beat on this plate already and it's taken it plus the new one he built is made form better al. Not worried one bit... if it does bend I'll try one of the new ones and see how it goes... Not like we're putting a ton of force on it.

Honestly have no clue what the part# is but you must lol... Would have been nice to have this as the matching rear plate you sold... ah maybe one day... Till then I'll beat this one and update Duuuuude on the progress!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #119
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
The part number on top of that 4-link plate looks vaguely familiar
Shhhh....I never reveal my sources.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Hey man you build another for your rig yet? look the same? Throw some pics up in your build to check out.