Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: The new bling hotness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The new bling hotness

Another day another... Yea you know.

Damned wheel bearing let go when I pulled it apart to swap out the (for those of you keeping track) 5th busted shaft. It was fun though, I was running on a skate park it was a hoot. Already swapped in the new bearings and new axial cvd's with piano wire pins. I made steering stops too, I think my biggest issue has been having max steering and bashing.

Went commando style and ran on a waterfall at a golf course. Found out what I already knew, I need to cut the shock mounts off and raise them a good half inch to lower this thing.

All you get is two crappy pics, its a biotch to take decent pics while driving.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #142
Pebble Pounder

Jesus man!, do you keep breaking the same one?
And crawling pics! Nice little spot you got. Skate parks are fun with fast light rigs, like to see aheavy one doing it. need to get your Lady healthy to get some vid.

O and i have more snow :P

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
MotoMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

I've been breaking both sides so the bearing wasn't the culprit. That waterfall/pond is pretty sweet. It's only available this time of year since its dry now. I've got a xxxb kinwald edition but it needs a rear pivot block to be a runner. The truck was a blast, my old home town has a concrete park with a pool, that should kick major ass.

You might have snow but your still on the shitty side of the state.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #144
Pebble Pounder

Yea, its a little wet over here, but hey, I got green grass

Got a buddy that had the same buggy, Losi's are trick rigs compared to the rest. PITA sometimes, but they perform! concrete is fun, but o so deadly when you mess up.

I couldnt imagine playing around like that with my rig. Im sure I would have to stiffen up my chassis if I had that kinda power.

Need video, are you actually jumping that thing?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #145
I wanna be Dave

You've got green grass, cars, roofs, and apparently porch swings too thanks to moss.

Am I jumping it... Does a fat kid love cake? I got a good 6' of air over a roller and did a slap belly wheelie upon landing on accident. Need to head to a concrete park though, this one is steel so it was very slick and sketchy to control to say the least.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #146
Pebble Pounder

That's insane! I don't even know what to say. No wonder your breaking shit
And it'll still crawl decent?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Honestly I haven't tried to crawl it. It's running 18/84 gearing with stock ratio hd gears in the diffs and tall roklox so it probably won't crawl worth a shit. Actually now that I think about it, no it doesn't crawl. If I bump up to a verticle curb it won't do much but stall till about 1/2 throttle and then it is airborn.

I didn't get this setup to crawl though. I got it because it was cheap and all the cool kids are running brushless so I wanted to see what the hoopla was all about. The mamba maxx I got in a trade deal with psycho j lo for some old parts and the motor was in a trade for an old e maxx trans so I have an honest $20 or so cash laid out for it.

I treat these things like what they are, toys. Rather expensive toys yes, but that's what they are and I play hard. Will I be hucking my tuber over a skate ramp when its running a pro4/mmp combo? No. Will I be bouncing it like a drunken arkabama hillbilly on top of his sister on their wedding night on hillclimbs and waterfalls? You bet your ass I will!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #148
Pebble Pounder

Heh, yea I didnt think she'd be crawling and still be able to hit that kind of air.
I got a buddy that I've always thought was hard on rigs, I was wrong. You take the cake on that one :P
I got my crawler setup the same way, by trading stuff. I spent prolly 600+ on my racing rigs, and maybe have 50 bucks into the crawler. Plus nice guys like you have helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Will I be bouncing it like a drunken arkabama hillbilly on top of his sister on their wedding night on hillclimbs and waterfalls? You bet your ass I will!
Ha! Now your name fits!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Fawking seriously! Got fofftarded after work and took out a pin in a cvd and the rear pinion apparently has a flat spot now... Autopsy and pics to follow shortly.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Glitter is great right? Strippers seem to love it anyway...

I like my pinions like I like my wimmin. Missing half their teeth.

I am curious though. When I had these axles apart to check the bearings and shim the pinion months ago I saw a steel ring gear and though I had scored hardened gears but an off brand that used a 2 piece pinion gear like stock. Now I realize its just a hardened ring gear and stock pinion. I wonder if its some kind of hillbilly deal using hpi parts or wtf? The ring gear carrier bearing journal isn't part of the gear its part of the solid alloy locker.

Oh well, I shoved another stock pinion in its ass and when it craps it out next time I'll replace the whole works with axial od/ud hardened gears.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #151
Pebble Pounder

hehe, glitter is pretty!

Your constantly breaking the rear arent ya? always landing on the rear with the tires spinning?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

This is the first gear set I've broken/worn out. Believe it or don't I'm working on my throttle control. I was getting good at launching and leveling out or nosing up/down as needed. My front axle issue was from heading up a hill and running into the vertical wall at an angle so the right front axle tire hit traction with the others spinning with far less traction. Whoops.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Mission accomplished.

Chopped the front part of the chassis off again and raised it up another 1/2" or so. Also welded 7 pieces of 3/16" brake line across the back so I have many options depending on what shocks I run in the future.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #154
Pebble Pounder

Are those axial wheels?
They look narrow, rovers look tall.

Sent by my fingers tapping glass
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #155
I wanna be Dave

Yea they are axial rocksters narrowed about 3/8". I've been contemplating narrowing them about another 1/4" and slipping some CI foams in there to keep them stable on sidehills but let's face it, I'm just too damned busy having fun breaking my basher.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Thought I was going to make it a day without breakage... Still had a partial charge on the battery that was in the truck when I broke the other day. My brother and nephew came by asking all sorts of questions about the batteries and motors etc so I took the now repaired truck out for a spin. Busted an inner shaft. I brought it in and slid my spare cvd in so its a runner again. Guess it really is time to pull the weight out of those wheels...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Yup I give up on axial cvd's. Next thing to go in will be an xr conversion. That'll hold up to damned near anything...

Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #158
MODERATOR™

You're most definitely doing something wrong.

You can't win if you don't finish.

Last edited by EeePee; 01-13-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: speel
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
You're most definitely doing something wrong.

You can't win if you don't finish.
You are absolutely correct. I made the silly mistake in thinking that I could keep stock and "upgraded" stock parts alive in a basher rig. I was breaking cvd pins with a 35 turn Holmes motor crawling so I knew they weren't bulletproof. But after I burned through my stock shafts I couldn't justify dropping more money on stock parts.

I'll pull the weight out of the tires today and see if that doesn't help keep the front end together a bit longer. I'm thinking I have eliminated the breakage from turning at full lock by adding stops but now I'm dealing with inertia breakage from the mamba maxx having full and violent drag braking stopping the shafts instantly while the weighted wheels want to continue spinning.

Hey, ya never know, I could be right...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #160
I wanna be Dave

2 1/2 packs without breakage that's a new record! Too bad I didn't make it 3 before popping an inner shaft once again. **** axial cvd's I'll say it plainly so there is no possibility of mistaking my words. Anyone that can keep axial cvd's alive either runs hard plastic tires on 1.5" wheels or drives like a big hemorrhaging vagina.

So this latest breakage prompted me to do a complete revamp of the rig. I finally pulled the weight out of the wheels, swapped out the stock ax10 with its uber tall proline body mount setup in turn for the VP incision I used to run and I swapped a ghettofabtabulous fj40 body I picked up in a trade deal with psycho j lo onto it mounted down low.

Tomorrow if I have time I'll move my MM from under the hood so I can slam the body another inch or so and remove most of the lower body. I took it for a spin and even with basically stock gearing its a handful with no weight in the tires. With all that weight I could whip it up on two tires and carry it a ways but now its twitchy and wants to roll. It will also do sweet rolling wheelies. I can hardly wait to hit the fofftarded area at work tomorrow.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 01-17-2013 at 01:08 AM.

The new bling hotness - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HR Main gear case. Bling bling or a must have? matts175 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 01-20-2012 10:43 AM
*Bling Bling* Scale License Plate Frames Krawler Konceptz Scale Accessories 9 01-11-2011 11:30 AM
I De-Blung the Bling, Bling. The ONLY-WAY to run the 40s! PinchFlat Tires and Wheels 42 01-06-2005 04:39 PM