Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Axial Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #181
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
The Capra would need too much modification to fit the 1230 on the dig, it really only needs a micro in any case.

Otherwise agree 100%. Just make sure you set the end-points really low before you start calibration so your servo doesn't burn out in the process. Ask me how I know.

My whole point was simply that a servo saver is not needed and there is no such thing as too strong of a servo.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #182
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
My whole point was simply that a servo saver is not needed and there is no such thing as too strong of a servo.
Agreed, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. But there are loads of servos that are too weak.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #183
Gold Star Baby!

So about waiting for aftermarket parts...

Let’s see how this goes!
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #184
I wanna be Dave

I’m so envious, I can’t pick mine up until tomorrow.😢
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #185
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I’m so envious, I can’t pick mine up until tomorrow.
I'm picking mine up tomorrow as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #186
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I have a VP dig with a savox 1230sg putting 500 oz to it. End points are important, screw servo savers, they're designed for craptastic radios that don't have proper end point adjustments.

Stab a servo in there and send it.
So, if I'm reading (not that there's really "reading", as it's drawings) the manual correctly, looking at pg. 23, the piece that comes with the SX107 really isn't needed...nor are the three parts that make up AXI232016. All that's really needed is a horn (preferably aluminum, but plastic will do) w/ the ball stud hole the same distance from the horn mount hole (meaning as found on the AXI232016 horn. Looks like I'll be using the Spektrum "feather" servo.

Just as I've removed the servo savers on my two Rusty 4x4s, and my Sl4sh (my race vehicles never came with servo saver), and replaced them with aluminum steering arms, the servo saver can be tossed, as I'd just program the endpoints.

I knew I took a few days off from work (primarily to 'decompress' from several super-busy weeks, but also to finish building the 22T 4.0), but I hadn't realized my brain also took a few days "off".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #187
I wanna be Dave

Correct. You need the arm length to get to the push/pull portion with sufficient play for the range of motion needed.

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #188
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Correct. You need the arm length to get to the push/pull portion with sufficient play for the range of motion needed.
For those interested in using aluminum servo horns, I've confirmed that TLR1557 (25T), TLR1556 (24T), & TLR1555 (23T) can be used for the DIG, as opposed to the AXI232016 parts (except for the two pieces to mount the servo to AXI321005). Any micro servo that fits, and has fairly equal specs, should work...plus, you won't need to servo saver piece that comes with SX107. For the steering servo, TLR341008 (23T) & TLR341009 (25T), designed for the TLR 8ight-XE, will both work. Unfortunately, Losi never made a 24T version, so, if using a 24T steering servo, you'll have to search other sources.

Knowing that Axial & Losi worked together quite closely on the Capra, having posted, myself, several part number comparison (where Axial just "renumbered" certain Losi/TLR parts, and having read others having confirmed Carissa "shared parts", that's why I figured there had to be aluminum Losi/TLR horns that were equal.

As for some of my earlier posts/questions, those of you already established in crawlers should expect as much...you were all newbs at some point, and (probably) asked the same "I haven't got a clue" questions. For those with 'patience', who are willing to take the time to thoroughly answer newbie questions, on behalf of all newbs (past, present & future), thank you.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-01-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
For those interested in using aluminum servo horns, I've confirmed that TLR1557 (25T), TLR1556 (24T), & TLR1555 (23T) can be used for the DIG, as opposed to the AXI232016 parts (except for the two pieces to mount the servo to AXI321005). Any micro servo that fits, and has fairly equal specs, should work...plus, you won't need to servo saver piece that comes with SX107. For the steering servo, TLR341008 (23T) & TLR341009 (25T), designed for the TLR 8ight-XE, will both work. Unfortunately, Losi never made a 24T version, so, if using a 24T steering servo, you'll have to search other sources.

Knowing that Axial & Losi worked together quite closely on the Capra, having posted, myself, several part number comparison (where Axial just "renumbered" certain Losi/TLR parts, and having read others having confirmed Carissa "shared parts", that's why I figured there had to be aluminum Losi/TLR horns that were equal.

As for some of my earlier posts/questions, those of you already established in crawlers should expect as much...you were all newbs at some point, and (probably) asked the same "I haven't got a clue" questions. For those with 'patience', who are willing to take the time to thoroughly answer newbie questions, on behalf of all newbs (past, present & future), thank you.

Thanks a million for the part numbers on the horns! This will allow me to get away from the spectrum offering. Any pointers on a good servo to use? I have no experience with the micros....

Edit: Ended up grabbing a JX PDI-1151MG. I'll post back once I have it built and working....

Last edited by volumeknob; 10-01-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Servo solution?
volumeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #190
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
Thanks a million for the part numbers on the horns! This will allow me to get away from the spectrum offering. Any pointers on a good servo to use? I have no experience with the micros....
You're most welcome...and, either do I. I've never used micros before, as the Capra is my first crawler. I've been "playing" with off-road race vehicles, and thought I'd give "going slow" a try.

Being familiar with Losi/TLR, I thought I recognized the sizes of the two horns, and started comparing them to my TLR parts. The DIG horn is identical in length (hole-to-hole) to the horn in my 22T, and the same for the steering horn, when compared to my 8ight-XE. While I'm positive the 8ight-XE horn will fit for steering, I'm only 95% certain the 22T horn will work on the DIG.

The length is correct, but I had to estimate on the height. I'll find out for certain when I get to that step. Even if it ends up not working, it won't have been wasted money, as I'd still be able to use that horn when I go to build the 22SCT.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #191
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post

Most of those servo arms will not work on many of the micro servos out there as or TLR horns use standard 1/10th size output splines. A lot of the micro servos have proprietary sizes.

Also pure coincidence comparing the servo arms as no TLR/Losi parts have been renumbered by Axial... I should know, I created them all
The only thing we have shared are the 23T/25T servo insert for the Steering servo arm. Other than materials, nothing from Losi/TLR has been used on any Axial vehicles.

I'll add that we are changing the part number system for Axial to match Losi, Vaterra, ECX and TLR with 6 digit numbers but that's going to take some time for all parts to have this new system.

Just want to make that clear.

Last edited by Rich Trujillo; 10-01-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #192
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Most of those servo arms will not work on many of the micro servos out there as or TLR horns use standard 1/10th size output splines. A lot of the micro servos have proprietary sizes.

Also pure coincidence comparing the servo arms as no TLR/Losi parts have been renumbered by Axial... I should know, I created them all
The only thing we have shared are the 23T/25T servo insert for the Steering servo arm. Other than materials, nothing from Losi/TLR has been used on any Axial vehicles.

I'll add that we are changing the part number system for Axial to match Losi, Vaterra, ECX and TLR with 6 digit numbers but that's going to take some time for all parts to have this new system.

Just want to make that clear.
I never said there was a large number of "crossover" parts...I was just indicating that certain parts used in the Capra are also used in builds by other Horizon Hobby-based kits. For example, AXI235014 is exactly the same as TLR235014, & AXI237009 is the same as VTR237009. These are both from the same page in the Capra manual. I have no plans to even attempt a part-by-part comparison...I just want to build mine, and enjoy it (the, in order to build, as noted by several others, a 'corrected ' is needed, which I know you, and your team, are working on. In regards to the micro servo, you are correct. I'm not sure if the tooth count (didn't bother counting), but it's definitely a smaller diameter. Thankfully, I have a possible solution that might still allow me to use the Hitec micro servo for the DIG...and, as for the horn I just bought, I still have a use for it (TLR 22SCT 3.0).

One of the things I really enjoy about RC is the ingenuity of those involved, and how (most) people are willing to help others...even those they're competing against. To give you an example of both...on the same vehicle, no less...I have a Rustler 4x4 that's almost finished going through a "conversion" (not yet ready to disclose, but it will appear in the Traxxas forum soon). For the 'ingenuity' side, it now contains parts from several different vehicles, some of which are from Horizon Hobby-based vehicles. As for the 'helping others' side, while some of the parts ideas were my own, other parts were suggested by other people trying to help me with my "project".

To be completely honest, I REALLY like HH-based builds. The manuals (despite a few errors here & there) are very well-written, parts are organized in the best way possible, the quality of materials is excellent, and customer service is top-notch. Using TLR as my primary example, Frank has, a few times, gone 'above & beyond', assisting me in some difficult-to-find info, and providing me with more info than I had even expected. If Axial follows the same, I have a strong feeling that I'm going to not only be very happy, but, when it comes time to select my second crawler, that increased the probability that the second will also be an Axial vehicle.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #193
Rock Crawler

Sweet....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #194
I wanna be Dave

Let’s the games begin!🤩

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #195

So what is everyone's planned color scheme?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #196
RCC Addict

Ps32 "corsa gray" as the primary, ps62 "pure orange" secondary, separated with 3mm stripes of ps5 black. I've got a few other ideas brewing, but that'll get it on the trail so to speak, and I've been wanting to use corsa gray on something for a long time.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #197
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keil View Post

Probably squirt some random color on it this week. I'll probably make my own panels out of .030" sheet anyway.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #198
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keil View Post
PS-1, PS-3, PS-4, PS-5, and all backed with PS-41

forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
PS-1, PS-3, PS-4, PS-5, and all backed with PS-41

Nice

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #200
I wanna be Dave

Well...decided I start the build tonight, after all. Just finished the front & rear axles. Went together smooth as butter. With minor interruptions, took about an hour.

Tags
axial, capra, crawler, goat, rig

Axial Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM