Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #261
Rock Stacker

Default Re: bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
It's just so kool to watch all four wheels articulate independently.
Aven31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #262
Quarry Creeper

Really glad to hear that yours is conquering all those tough trails you got. I haven't had mine out on real rocks yet, but been tearing it up with some speed trails.

Good find on the Axial shock bushing. That will make it simpler for most folks out there, rather than doing the fuel hose trick. I'll update the DMG parts thread.

I'm really interested in hearing if those 94mm or 96mm Axial Dogbones will hold up with the locked rear. I have a feeling they'll twist up like your Axial front axle I hope I'm wrong and can't wait to hear your results.

Btw, your backyard is awesome!!! Man, I wish!!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #263
I wanna be Dave

Will that silicone upper shock bushing work on Proline powerstroke XTs? It's working on Bil's shocks because he's using Axial Yeti shocks with the same cap dimensions as the Wraith.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #264
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Good find on the Axial shock bushing. That will make it simpler for most folks out there, rather than doing the fuel hose trick. I'll update the DMG parts thread.

I'm really interested in hearing if those 94mm or 96mm Axial Dogbones will hold up with the locked rear. I have a feeling they'll twist up like your Axial front axle I hope I'm wrong and can't wait to hear your results.

Btw, your backyard is awesome!!! Man, I wish!!
Thanxs Old...I love my backyard when it comes to crawling...maintenance on the other hand is a PITA!!!

My LHS had the 96mm dogbones in stock and from my initial bench testing tonite, they seem to be a perfect length. I'm sure glad I discovered Axial made these. The front uni axle that I used in the rear for testing seems to be bent from a horizontal load because they are not twisted, they are bent from what appears to be a lateral force...such as a roll over. Here's my thought....because the Axial Yeti universal axle is one part, the lateral load transfers the energy all the way to the inner differential cup which causes the axle to bend. With the 96mm dogbone axle shafts, any lateral force shouldn't transfer any energy through the axle shafts because they are separated from the stub axle portion and have a couple mm to move back and forth within the cups. Hopefully this explanation makes sense. Whether the axles twist from the locked diff and 3500kV HH power, well that's a different story and time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Will that silicone upper shock bushing work on Proline powerstroke XTs? It's working on Bil's shocks because he's using Axial Yeti shocks with the same cap dimensions as the Wraith.
You are correct SCREAMER, the P-L Powerstroke shocks have smaller upper mount holes in the caps. I just tried inserting one of the Axial shock bushings and it was a no go!

B2B_Bomber_34

Last edited by bilinvic; 08-19-2017 at 11:09 PM.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #265
I wanna be Dave

If the dogbones and unis don't last, you can always step up to DLux's shafts. The pair that I have were in the B1B for a torturous few months before moving to the rear of my B2B. No bends, no wear, no fitment issues, just strength.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #266
I wanna be Dave

I haven't forgotten about the DLux axles....kinda hoping I won't need them! I also have a spare set of 96mm dogbones for the trail parts kit.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #267
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The front uni axle that I used in the rear for testing seems to be bent from a horizontal load because they are not twisted, they are bent from what appears to be a lateral force...such as a roll over. Here's my thought....because the Axial Yeti universal axle is one part, the lateral load transfers the energy all the way to the inner differential cup which causes the axle to bend. With the 96mm dogbone axle shafts, any lateral force shouldn't transfer any energy through the axle shafts because they are separated from the stub axle portion and have a couple mm to move back and forth within the cups. Hopefully this explanation makes sense. Whether the axles twist from the locked diff and 3500kV HH power, well that's a different story and time will tell.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm thinking it's possible the axle bent from bottoming out in the drive cup at the bulkhead from the horizontal load. I'm wondering if the A-arm flexed during that roll over and caused it to bottom out?

But if the 96mm has the potential to "bottom out", it may suffer the same result. Is the 94mm just too short? If it's doable, except at max droop, it may be a better option with some limiting straps. Less chance of bottoming out.
I'm rooting for this to work though, b/c this is a much lower costing option if it can last.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #268
I wanna be Dave

I feel there's enough allowable movement that the 96mm axle won't bottom out at the inner drive cup. The 94mm axles would probably work with limiting straps, but I feel the 96mm ones will be better. I'm not sure when I will get out for some hardcore crawling, hopefully soon...but I will be sure to bring the spare axles just in case; I'm hoping I won't need them though!
Old 04-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #269
I wanna be Dave

Bad news...the 96mm dogbones aren't going to work....they are still too short and one end can easily slide out of the cup grooves when under load. I'm undecided which route I want to go; BMRC 300M lockers with MIP shafts or Dlux Fab shafts???
Old 04-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #270
I wanna be Dave

BMRC kits aren't available anymore. So that answers your question. Lol
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #271
I wanna be Dave

Thanxs...

I wonder if someone makes slightly longer inner diff cups?

Last edited by bilinvic; 04-29-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #272
I wanna be Dave

Im sure someone does but the question is who?

The exo a-arms are longer right? Could you run yeti a-arms out back to run normal length shafts?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #273
I wanna be Dave

The RPM EXO rear A-arms are longer than the Yeti front A-arms, but that's because there's not a caster block to take up the length of the shorter fronts. I thought about taking the EXO rear A-arms to my LHS to see if I can find one that is only a few mm shorter. I'm torn because I don't want to have do a whole lot of mods only to find out the Axial 96mm dogbones won't hold up to the power!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #274
I wanna be Dave

True. Sounds like dlux is your answer. Im sure he can help with a longer shaft or longer output.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #275
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
BMRC kits aren't available anymore. So that answers your question. Lol
BMRC 300M short lockers !
i am in touch with matt @ BMRC,
& i am going to see if he can still have some produce for us !

& i am doing a B2B - MIP Rear drive setup here in a few days,
ill post up whats all involved & choices
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #276
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by the DMG View Post
BMRC 300M short lockers !
i am in touch with matt @ BMRC,
& i am going to see if he can still have some produce for us !

& i am doing a B2B - MIP Rear drive setup here in a few days,
Well I must say, this is great news because my B2B is shelved until I get this figured out. Looking forward to what you have in store Jerry. Thanxs for the heads up.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #277
I wanna be Dave

Oh for sure. On his site it says not available so figured that meant everything. And I remember him telling me back when I got my stuff from him that as soon as everything was sold, that was it. But good to know and would like to see what you come up with for the rear.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #278
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Bad news...the 96mm dogbones aren't going to work....they are still too short and one end can easily slide out of the cup grooves when under load. I'm undecided which route I want to go; BMRC 300M lockers with MIP shafts or Dlux Fab shafts???
Man, that's unfortunate!
What's strange is the rear end is essentially the Axial Exo, which utilizes the 94mm dog bone. I'm shocked the 96mm are too short.
Maybe the Exo wasn't meant to flex like the B2B

Dlux does sell their drive cup and output shafts separately. I forget the cost, but their drive cups are longer, however the Axial dog bone will need some sort of sleeve to zero out any sort of play, since it's smaller. I hope I'm making sense here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the DMG
i am doing a B2B - MIP Rear drive setup here in a few days,
I'm wondering if this is what you are working with? MIP CVD Kit

Looks like all we would need is the output shafts to fit the drive cups? This looks like it would be a strong solution.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #279
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
I'm wondering if this is what you are working with?
Should be this: CVD Kit for Yeti With Spool, Blue Monkey RC
Old 05-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #280
I wanna be Dave

It was almost a month ago I emailed Matt and asked him about this 6mm locker and I'm still waiting for a reply. Be aware, you will either need to machine the ring gear yourself to fit over the spool or have him do it because it will not clear the output shafts on the spool.

Bil, is there something you aren't liking in the DLux design? It's going to be cheaper, much simpler, much lighter, and be more than strong enough while retaining the rear hub carriers. The MIP route may be a bit stronger but it needs more work to make fit. DLux's shafts are drop in solutions. 11 parts per side that can fail or 3?
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 05-03-2017 at 11:00 PM.

bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 712 04-25-2020 08:09 AM
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
Dmg b1b & b2b bomber demo Jasper105 Videos! 0 02-22-2016 07:26 AM
Video of bilinvic's RR10 Bomber bilinvic Videos! 1 01-02-2016 07:20 PM