Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!"

since you moved the tranny, does this mean youre planning on a transfer case?
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

What shocks are those?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
since you moved the tranny, does this mean youre planning on a transfer case?
Yes. I am planning on buying the GCM transfer case. I need to hurry up and do that!
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
What shocks are those?
I am still using the stock shocks that came with the kit. However, I think I'm going to need softer springs.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcat33 View Post
This build is great to follow along with. As a fellow Noob with a mostly stock scx-10 with plans it is cool to watch someone build theirs. It is looking great too.
Thank you for the compliment. I am hoping to be thorough and get as many pictures as possible, so that my fellow noobs can follow along and learn some tips.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #46
RCC Addict

You did a nice job on that trans mount , Very clean build so far.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcat33 View Post
Your doing a good job witht the thoroughness so far. Definitely motivating me to work on mine.
Thanks pcat33!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
You did a nice job on that trans mount , Very clean build so far.
I appreciate that Old Man! I'm hoping to do justice to all the good tips and tricks I've picked up from surfing this site for 2+ years!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Looks real good man can't wait to hit the falls with you. Think you'll be ready for a run 1st week of march?
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #50
KMS
Rock Crawler

I was checking out your tranny mount ,it looks good I was looking around when building mine and found a lower mount,,I went to 3 link with a panhard mnt as well,,,Dont think this will work with a 4 link or y link up front. nice build so far ,,,,KMS,,,,
Attached Images

KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkabee View Post
Yes. I am planning on buying the GCM transfer case. I need to hurry up and do that!
Yeah I'm going to be doing a similar sometime this year. Have the same body and a scx10 roller. I like your diff plate, very simple and clean. I'm going a GCM JK build and their stuff is top notch. I may have to get another t-case from them for my other build.

I've seen many people just turn the tranny around instead of using a t-case with this body, wonder if using a t-case will get the body much lower since it does have a decent tunnel for the tranny.

Either way, great looking build =)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Well, I told you I would be working on some tubing this weekend, and that's what I did! This isn't final, so don't freak out on me that I'm not posting the build process in its entirety... I'll be rebuilding these and documenting the process for you. I just wanted to test some products out to see if they even work before I tell you what to buy and how to do it. So this update is a video blog about the products and the beginnings of the roll cage and the front bumper I built in minimal time. Hope you enjoy the use of video... more to come if you guys like this format instead of just pics all the time..

Jeep TJ aluminum pipe update - YouTube

Last edited by jkabee; 01-29-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Threat View Post
Looks real good man can't wait to hit the falls with you. Think you'll be ready for a run 1st week of march?
Should be, Constant. I was at HobbyTown today talking to OldSkoolRC and you came up in conversation. March timeframe is looking good. I have to make a biz trip to Boston from this Saturday to next Friday, so that will eat up a whole week and weekend, but I should still be able to get it "finished"... if there is such a thing!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah I'm going to be doing a similar sometime this year. Have the same body and a scx10 roller. I like your diff plate, very simple and clean. I'm going a GCM JK build and their stuff is top notch. I may have to get another t-case from them for my other build.

I've seen many people just turn the tranny around instead of using a t-case with this body, wonder if using a t-case will get the body much lower since it does have a decent tunnel for the tranny.

Either way, great looking build =)
Even with turning it around there are clearance issues if you are trying to center the body for that "stretched" look like I am going for. If you are pushing the body all the way forward on the chassis, you can do it that way, but then it wouldn't look stretched. I'm definitely going for that comp-cut stretched look.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Can't wait i just got done with my hilux truggy. Going to go run it in tn this sat
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Even with turning it around there are clearance issues if you are trying to center the body for that "stretched" look like I am going for. If you are pushing the body all the way forward on the chassis, you can do it that way, but then it wouldn't look stretched. I'm definitely going for that comp-cut stretched look.

AHHHH good to know, I'm going for the same stretched look since I want to run a 11.4"ish wheelbase. Man, thought I could get away without having to buy another tcase lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
AHHHH good to know, I'm going for the same stretched look since I want to run a 11.4"ish wheelbase. Man, thought I could get away without having to buy another tcase lol.
Well, actually, YOU CAN. After sleeping on it, I went to the garage this morning and mounted the motor/trans backwards like you suggested. There is indeed a clearance issue, as the TJ firewall is in the way of the trans. HOWEVER, if you wanted to save $ on the transfer case, you could always cut out a portion of the firewall and floor board to clear the trans and then fabricate some floor an firewall panels with Plastruct. To be honest with you, that is the cheaper way to go. A transfer case and extra driveshaft will run you $80 minimum, whereas Plastruct construction would cost me less than $10.

So with that, and since I haven't ordered my transfer case yet, I think I will be taking this build in that direction instead of where I am currently moving the motor. Benefits are, it will keep the motor/trans lower (better COG) and it will cost me significantly less ($ I can use for other goodies).

So,thanks for the tip. I'll get started on firewall hacking and post the progress report for everyone.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well, actually, YOU CAN. After sleeping on it, I went to the garage this morning and mounted the motor/trans backwards like you suggested. There is indeed a clearance issue, as the TJ firewall is in the way of the trans. HOWEVER, if you wanted to save $ on the transfer case, you could always cut out a portion of the firewall and floor board to clear the trans and then fabricate some floor an firewall panels with Plastruct. To be honest with you, that is the cheaper way to go. A transfer case and extra driveshaft will run you $80 minimum, whereas Plastruct construction would cost me less than $10.

So with that, and since I haven't ordered my transfer case yet, I think I will be taking this build in that direction instead of where I am currently moving the motor. Benefits are, it will keep the motor/trans lower (better COG) and it will cost me significantly less ($ I can use for other goodies).

So,thanks for the tip. I'll get started on firewall hacking and post the progress report for everyone.
Glad I could help
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

I bought some Plastruct and bonding agent today so that I can build new interior pieces after hacking the firewall. My plan is to get something done tonight.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Well, I got to hacking away at the firewall and the floorboard last night. When I started this build, my goal was to leave the body interior untouched, but this will give me an excuse to try out my styrene skills (of which i have none currently). I ended up cutting more than I thought was going to be needed, but I definitely didn't want clearance issues. It will be interesting to see what I can come up with for floor coverings, console, and a new dashboard.

Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM