Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
Looking good! I can't believe this is your first build. Very clean work!
That means alot, Klabeaume.

I think the main thing is to not rush yourself. I originally thought this would be a 2 week project. I'm glad I didn't actually do it that way. Spending as much or more time actually thinking about and visualizing the build is as important as actually turning a wrench. There are many imperfections in this rig, but perfection wasn't my goal. This will not be a shelf queen. Its getting beat on the day after I get all the electronics installed. I'm really quite happy with the way its turning out, and very gracious of all the compliments. Thanks guys!
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #122
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkabee View Post
I think the main thing is to not rush yourself.
But i want it NOW!!!!

But in all seriousness, don't be surprised when you see my build later this year that looks awfully similar to this

I watched your vid and was impressed by the 'throw' test. Do you think the cage will survive tough falls? Dont know if I've seen anyone make a cage out of aluminum before.

Last edited by Shinjari; 02-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #123
Rock Crawler

My truggy cage is aluminum it holds up just fine. It turned out great Jeremy, nicely done
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #124

Did you sharpie the doors, or is it paint?
Rcc4P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #125
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcc4P View Post
Did you sharpie the doors, or is it paint?
Fine tip Sharpie is the only way!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

Made a nice multi-purpose bracket for the front. Simple aluminum piece with velcro all over it to hold electronics and also serve as a velcro mount for the body. works pretty good for the limited space under a TJ body.

Since space is so limited, I also covered the rock sliders with velcro for electronics/batteries.

Talk about snug... TJ bodies make real estate under the body in short supply. I must have rearrabged this 5 times before I got it allto fit. But here it is... 2 2200mah, 1 800mah, 1 esc, 1 Rx, 1 winch controller...

Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #127
Quarry Creeper

Folks.... my first 1.9 Jeep TJ build... I am officially a proud father!

Thanks for tuning in! See you on the trails!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #128
Quarry Creeper

So after the first outting, I knew it was time for improvements. First of all, I had "serious" electronic issues when steering under throttle. Simply put, my powerful Savox steering servo was drawing too many amps for the stock esc bec (AX-2).

A CC BEC will allow your power hungry steering servo to get the draw it needs without causing your ESC to flip out on you. For those that are wondering what the symptoms are, I'll describe what you should look out for: When under throttle, any full turn of steering or steering under resistance will cause your ESC to stop supplying power to your motor momentarily. It will act very erratic and you will not regain power to your motor until you release throttle and reapply. This stoppage of power to your motor is due to the demand being placed on your limited capacity ESC to supply power to both the servo and the motor. By default, the servo wins everytime. This behavior can be easily corrected with a BEC though, so have no fear.

Luckily, I'd done some reading on the forums and I immediately knew what the problem was.. and more importantly, how to fix it. I stopped by my LHS (HobbyTown in Asheville NC) and as luck would have it, they had one Castle Creations BEC left. Snagged it for $21

Here is a short tutorial on hooking up your BEC!

Installing a CC BEC on SCX-10 - YouTube

Last edited by jkabee; 03-24-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #129
Quarry Creeper

Moving things around....

Another thing I noticed is that the 3 batteries I was running on the chassis were way too top heavy for serious wheeling. I was running two 2200mah, one on each rock slider peice, and 1 800mah on my center bracket for the winch. While I may keep the 800mah, the two 2200s are overkill. One 2200 will last for about an hour or two of mild usage, and the extra battery is just adding to the top-heavy aspect. So here is my new setup, currently only one battery installed, but I'll find a place for the 800 should I put the winch back on.

Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM