Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New SSD SCX10 axle housings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #1301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New SSD SCX10 axle housings

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb.cole View Post
Are you going to come out with a fixed version then?
Pretty sure he said multiple times now they are updating the tooling
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #1302
Rock Crawler

Without starting from scratch. Tooling is expensive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #1303
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
So, If you plan on just driving your truck in a straight line. Tape will work great.

If you actually plan on going hard, Comping, Doing real driving, Think about other ideas...
This was with moderate trail driving and one pretty intensive trip to my local crawler course with a trigger happy 7-year-old. No where have I represented it as anything else. That's why I said to take the info for what it's worth.

Also, I didn't realize I was fake driving. Thanks for setting me straight.

Quote:
People need to quit trying to sweep this issue under the rug like its nbd.. Thats exactly how companies get away with crap..
I'm not sure how I'm sweeping things under the rug. I was the one who posted the video that clearly demonstrates the issue. Since I (and a whole bunch of other people) had already purchased the housings, I thought I'd share my experience with the suggested work around in the event it may prolong the gear life for someone in a similar situation. If my gears grenade on the next run I'll be sure to post that, too.

I'm not trying to help them get away with anything. Working with what you've got is a completely separate issue from addressing the issue with new tooling. In fact, I was planning on getting the SSD CMS and knuckles, but this experience is making me consider other options. Now that I know I've been fake driving, I can avoid that difficult decision and get out of the hobby all together. My wallet thanks you.

Quote:
Also, if thats the rear you are trying to show off. you are cheating..
The rear doesn't see NEARLY as much stress as the front..

Try turning your steering past 70*, See what I'm talking about.
"Cheating" implies I have something to gain from misrepresentation. That's certainly not the case. Yes, that's a picture of the rear axle. Why? I don't know. Maybe because it happens to be the one I took a picture of? Sneaky on my part, I know. Both axles were in the same condition.

No, i don't have 70* of steering and I don't comp all the time. I should be ashamed. You obviously win at toy trucks.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #1304
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post

No, i don't have 70* of steering and I don't comp all the time. I should be ashamed. You obviously win at toy trucks.
Well you saying you are the one that posted a video ( which I thanked you for , you probably skimmed over that ) I was the FIRST person to post on the issue.. Go back and look, I can wait..

In that same post I also said that foil, and tape , etc were only temp fixes, and not good for long term HARD driving..

On the winning part, The truck that had issue after issue with SSD D60s , Thats now running SSD diamond on both front and rear..
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #1305
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well you saying you are the one that posted a video ( which I thanked you for , you probably skimmed over that )
Didn't skim. Well aware.

Quote:
I was the FIRST person to post on the issue.. Go back and look, I can wait..
How is this relevant? I don't remember anyone questioning it.

Quote:
In that same post I also said that foil, and tape , etc were only temp fixes, and not good for long term HARD driving..
Great! Thanks for sharing your experience. Now don't be so dismissive when someone else does the same.

Quote:
On the winning part, The truck that had issue after issue with SSD D60s , Thats now running SSD diamond on both front and rear..
Nice toy truck.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #1306
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
It's in progress. It takes time to update tooling, test samples, and make new production.

When these were made nobody was complaining about needing larger bearings in the SCX10 axle otherwise we would have.
I don't think Axial intended or even saw people running big 3s Brushless setups either. If people want to run power, they need the drive train and the SCX/AX axles have their limits.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #1307
Quarry Creeper

This thread his gotten incredibly hostile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #1308
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post

Welcome to the internet..

Basically
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:10 AM   #1309
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Agreed! It's a pity. I think the RC hobby, like everything else, is an ever developing thing and nothing is perfect. Not even the SSD axle housings. But I am generally very happy with my SSD purchases. When the axle housing is driven to destruction, try another brand next time if you are not happy with it.

That being said, I can understand that some people feel let down.. but hey.. if I was that concerned about my money's worth, I probably wouldn't be in this hobby in the first place

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #1310
Rock Crawler

Quote:

My bad.

Let me just reiterate, so it's not lost, that different people enjoy the hobby in different ways. If you enjoy trail driving and already own these great looking axles and want to run them, the aluminum tape work around may be worth trying to extend the life of your gears. Time will tell.

If your primary involvement in the hobby is comping, you may want to go back to try a different axle housing.

Either way, I think we're all looking forward to a revised housing.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #1311
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
My bad.

Let me just reiterate, so it's not lost, that different people enjoy the hobby in different ways. If you enjoy trail driving and already own these great looking axles and want to run them, the aluminum tape work around may be worth trying to extend the life of your gears. Time will tell.

If your primary involvement in the hobby is comping, you may want to go back to try a different axle housing.

Either way, I think we're all looking forward to a revised housing.

Well said. Love my ssd axles but I fall into the former category. I'm not excusing what has obviously been documented as a huge flaw. With that being said. I'm not sure these axles are a great choice for hardcore comping anyways.

dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #1312
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well said. Love my ssd axles but I fall into the former category. I'm not excusing what has obviously been documented as a huge flaw. With that being said. I'm not sure these axles are a great choice for hardcore comping anyways.

Agreed. I see these and think scale. Run OGs with tubes and XR mod or Stage 1, or some other comp designed axles for comp.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #1313
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
Agreed. I see these and think scale. Run OGs with tubes and XR mod or Stage 1, or some other comp designed axles for comp.

I'm a newbie to this and I wonder about the ssd aluminum diamond axles - are they good for comp or hard bashing or mostly scale?

Old 10-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #1314
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
I'm a newbie to this and I wonder about the ssd aluminum diamond axles - are they good for comp or hard bashing or mostly scale?

All three
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:21 AM   #1315
I wanna be Dave

I've been working on my Deadbolt that is currently running SSD D60 housings. I haven't run them hard or that much and both front and rear have slop in the pinion bearing bore. Guess I'm going back to stock housings. I'll keep an eye out for solutions.

Last edited by rckjeep; 10-09-2016 at 01:23 AM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #1316
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
I've been working on my Deadbolt that is currently running SSD D60 housings. I haven't run them hard or that much and both front and rear have slop in the pinion bearing bore. Guess I'm going back to stock housings. I'll keep an eye out for solutions.
Yeah, I think we kinda know that already. I have six axle housings, the outer bearing is too small for the provided space. We all know that by now..

Old 10-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #1317
I joined the Band!

My only remaining question is what compensation will be made for people that were affected by the defect..

Discount code? Trade in program? Something .. Hundreds of $$ in gears I have sitting in a box stripped because of this issue.
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #1318
Rock Crawler

I have two of these axles sitting in the bags cause I came across these posts before building them, so I'm kind of just tossing it out there... Would a larger OD bearing fix the issue? I know they were supposed to reuse stock hardware, but does SSD need to reinvent the wheel here?

Old 10-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #1319
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
I have two of these axles sitting in the bags cause I came across these posts before building them, so I'm kind of just tossing it out there... Would a larger OD bearing fix the issue? I know they were supposed to reuse stock hardware, but does SSD need to reinvent the wheel here?

I believe this was discussed earlier in the thread but a standard size bearing wouldn't fit because the opening is slightly too big for a stock one but still to small for the next larger size.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #1320
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di_Spencer View Post
I believe this was discussed earlier in the thread but a standard size bearing wouldn't fit because the opening is slightly too big for a stock one but still to small for the next larger size.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Ah, ok, I missed that then, thanks for the clarification.

New SSD SCX10 axle housings - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP Scx10 axle housings Jeep_Crawler Axial SCX-10 15 04-08-2016 06:35 AM