Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Phildirt’s SCX10 mud and trail truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Phildirt’s SCX10 mud and trail truck

After reading, Googling, comparing, and adding up prices...I think I have a plan. I want more of a hybrid/wider/capable/newer version of this truck. I like the thought of the AR60 axles. So - bear with me here - thinking of buying an SMT10 raw builder's kit to use as a base for the next one. I'll get the reliable Ax10 tranny with metal gears, the AR60 axles, steering components, chassis, wheels - for $200. Compared to just buying the axles that is a "steal" I think. Then I will either build a truck around that kit or kit bash with a 3d printed or flat rail frame. I'm thinking I now want something that can handle 3s & brushless power for massive rooster tails but is also tame enough to trail/mild crawling so I'll have to do my homework there. I even thought of getting the RTR but i already have a 550 12t and it's not super impressive. I have to get this large truck thing out of my system lol. So the next theme will be 'almost a monster truck, but not quite'. I have another Axial c10 body to play with and may try to incorporate it (think crazy wheel base not matching the body, no headlights or grille, a fiberglass shell look with hinged body/scale motor).
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

I just bought the smt Builders kit. the rims are worthless for anything but monster truck tires. The diffs are open, good for a Mt, not for a mud truck, and the steering components, I am not impressed. Very Mt, not crawler at all. As I have read, the smt axles blow up the diffs when big power is added, so there is that too. Mine is still waiting for a power system.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 10-22-2020 at 09:14 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I just bought the smt Builders kit. the rims are worthless for anything but monster truck tires. The diffs are open, good for a Mt, not for a mud truck, and the steering components, I am not impressed. Very Mt, not crawler at all. As I have read, the smt axles blow up the diffs when big power is added, so there is that too. Mine is still waiting for a power system.

I'll have to dig a little into that. I was under the impression the SMT10 ran the same axles as the Wraith and were more durable than the AR44s out of the box. I don't have the budget for $200 each on axles so will have to compromise somewhere. Not real worried about the wheels thing though, the 2.2 King Flings mount on standard SCT wheels which are a dime a dozen on Amazon/Ebay/Proline etc etc. Least of my worries...but axle integrity is definitely a concern.

A mud truck won't need the greatest steering and as long as it's servo on axle I'm good. My first plan was to get a SCX10 II builder's kit, relocate servo to axle, lift plates, King Flings, C10 body, and send it. What got my attention on the SMT10 was the tranny - I've read that its more reliable than the 10-2 version.

I mean lets be honest though - anything will be a step up from my current 12 year old cobbled together Amazon special. I like this truck, I just enjoy the parts hunt/build as much as driving and want to put together a stout truck that I can rely on in the deep stuff.

What are you doing with the SMT10? Just bashing/MT?
Old 10-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Maybe I'll just stick with brushed power but upgrade the battery pack. Might keep me in the safe zone with the axles. But now you got me thinking haha.

I'd do something like a wheely/crawler king or another brand but all of them I've looked at have really small wheel base. They say 1/10 but are like sub-11" in wheelbase. So my plan to use a full size (12.3) Proline or Axial body wouldn't work.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #85
j0e
Rock Crawler

My current "mud truck" uses wk axles, a 'pede trans and a custom R7R chassis.
Axles are plenty wide and I run brushless with Imex 2.2 All-T tires.
With custom links, wheelbase is easy to adjust.
I'll try to get a pic when I get home.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #86
RCC Addict

From another thread in here:

The Axial AR60 axles are truly tiny and a joke. They take complete over haul with full upgrades from other manufacturers to hold up for more than a few minutes of use. I have been switching over to Kyosho Twin Force axles more and more for anything that I want to last and be truly durable.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #87
j0e
Rock Crawler

^
If you want some big, hefty axles, I like txt axles.
I’ve got two txt’s and have been beating on them for years.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Having trouble finding any of those axles, especially the Tamiya ones. Thoughts on vp spool or something similar in the ar60s? I’m thinking the brushed 12t on 2s will probably keep me happy until I can go nuts on built axles. I guess I like the thought of the smt10 because I can get in it and upgrade what I want as needed. Still new to this but hate throwing money away. Have been reading the mega/mud truck threads so much I’m dizzy lol.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

My Scx10Ii axles have lived well with 4.75" tires and 3k brushless 4 pole power on 3s. The ar60s are fine with brushed, 3s power, beyond that, they start blowing up parts. My buddy ran a Velinion system 3800kv in his wraith nothing but axle parts in the bin. The trans is the standard 3 gear with metal gears, so solid. I really like the skid plate to, looks like good suspension geometry and short but wide. I would call it a Wheely King gen 3. lol. I have W.K. axles Scx10 axles, and 10 II axles, Only ones I have ever broke have been WK axle inner shafts.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:27 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
My Scx10Ii axles have lived well with 4.75" tires and 3k brushless 4 pole power on 3s. The ar60s are fine with brushed, 3s power, beyond that, they start blowing up parts. My buddy ran a Velinion system 3800kv in his wraith nothing but axle parts in the bin. The trans is the standard 3 gear with metal gears, so solid. I really like the skid plate to, looks like good suspension geometry and short but wide. I would call it a Wheely King gen 3. lol. I have W.K. axles Scx10 axles, and 10 II axles, Only ones I have ever broke have been WK axle inner shafts.
Cool thanks for the comparison. Yeah I’m not wanting a bulletproof super truck. And if I go with a 10.2 platform I can always change it up to a crawling friendly setup after I get bored of mud lol. Plenty of parts for them still too.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Not sure if you all follow Axial on IG/FB but the Concours SMT10 winner this year is what I am wanting to build. A mega/show truck. Starting to think durability may not be what I’m really after. I mean not as far as like 10’ rooster tails and what not lol. With my current build I kept saying I wanted it to have scale capabilities and it can go hood deep so...
Old 10-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Switched the plastic bead locks to my metal ones. Mounting Pro Line boggers on Chinesium wheels should be an Olympic event. What a pain in the ass. More like the real thing lol.

Made 3 passes through the soup and the Traxxas 12t 550 started blowing white smoke and then died. If I hold the throttle down I can hear it trying to turn and then starts smoking. I was under the impression if I kept it clean it would handle the wet but I got it with this truck so no telling what kind of shape it was in. The boggers might have been the last straw lol. Open to suggestions for a decent 12t, don’t want to drop major coin if they are going to fry regularly. Hopefully it wasn’t user error and I had the gear mesh too tight. Hard to mount and adjust behind that lift plate.

Obligatory carnage shot

Old 10-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Was really thick mud unlike the puddles I was in last time. This is the shallow end of the pool. Tried to make a video but it was just me so impossible with just 2 hands and didn’t want to set the phone down.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

I wish my boggers seen some action like that! There more like paddle tires here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Thinking of going super cheap with the motor until I figure this out as far as turns/pinion. Going to grab a RC4WD 20t. When I pull this motor I will check the pinion gear size. I thing it may be too high for a 12t which is why it fried. I see they sell 32p pinion sets, the truck came with 13t so I bet that’s what is in it. May drop to 11t and see if it runs cooler. If you can’t tell I have no idea what I’m doing but learning as I go.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Also going to check for binding in the drivetrain when I have it apart. Do any of you run the tranny with the inspection cover off? Figured it would make it easier to clean after runs. I poured muddy water out of it this time. Could rinse/blow with the compressor and grease it quickly instead of having to fight the barely accessible cover screws. I have to pull the rear driveshaft to get to the bottom one.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:46 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

So gearing...

11t is still going to be hot, no matter what motor you run. If you keep the runs shorter with cooing time, you might be ok. With as big as the Boggers are, I would be dropping to 48p gears and going with 87t spur and 12-14t pinion. (vs 13/56) and maybe jump up to 3s to regain the wheel speed.

I have had bad experience with rc4wd motors.... I recomend Holmes Hobbies 27t 540 Trailmaster for $15 instead, much better motor and endures heat better too. I only ever run a gear cover if I have wiring near the spur, and even then not always.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:20 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So gearing...

11t is still going to be hot, no matter what motor you run. If you keep the runs shorter with cooing time, you might be ok. With as big as the Boggers are, I would be dropping to 48p gears and going with 87t spur and 12-14t pinion. (vs 13/56) and maybe jump up to 3s to regain the wheel speed.

I have had bad experience with rc4wd motors.... I recomend Holmes Hobbies 27t 540 Trailmaster for $15 instead, much better motor and endures heat better too. I only ever run a gear cover if I have wiring near the spur, and even then not always.

Agreed. Can’t go wrong with HH motors. That’ll be my next when this ol RC4WD 45t goes out.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #99
RCC Addict

That Holmes motor is out of stock everywhere I’ve looked s far must’ve popular.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Default Phildirt’s SCX10 mud and trail truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
That Holmes motor is out of stock everywhere I’ve looked s far must’ve popular.

I’d go with this personally. it’s in stock right now on AMain for $22. I don’t know if you want 550 or 540 can, but the 550 can is the only one in stock.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/holmes-...100066/p716284

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 10-24-2020 at 06:33 AM.

Phildirt’s SCX10 mud and trail truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miniature king krusher trail truck/ crawler/ mud truck jared macneill General Crawlers 4 10-22-2018 09:00 PM
Mega Mud Trail truck Brainstain Mega/Monster Trucks 6 05-27-2016 10:55 PM
SCX10 Mud Truck - RCBros Burly Truck Conversion Sneetches Scale Videos! 1 07-19-2015 01:43 PM
SCX10 Mud Truck, Mega Truck Ideas thejudge1 Mega/Monster Trucks 7 11-08-2014 07:33 PM
Rock/Trail/Mud truck tjcrawler Newbie General 26 04-20-2007 04:09 PM