Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SLN’s Axial Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN’s Axial Experience

Howdy!

Just got my 10 ii in the mail today, and almost done assembling it. Didn’t think it was necessary for a step-by-step build up since I’m 4 years late to this platform. It was a pretty smooth build until I got to attaching the front axle, specifically one of the links. I didn’t know it had to have a nut on it because the diagram for that step practically sucks lol. Also, went to install my Traxxas metal servo horn, and it doesn’t work. It hits the battery tray.

Tomorrow I will attach the rear axle and install all my electronics, hopefully be running tomorrow night. More updates soon!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2021, 12:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SLN’s Axial Experience

Rear axle wound up on the chassis, dunno who did it lmao.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:50 AM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

A lot of nice goodies there! Following along to see what you have planned for it!

On the servo horn, I've always had luck running the VP 20mm servo horn. It fits a wide variety of rigs. I run it on all of my rigs including my SCX10.2.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:59 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Great start SLN...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Great start SLN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
A lot of nice goodies there! Following along to see what you have planned for it!

On the servo horn, I've always had luck running the VP 20mm servo horn. It fits a wide variety of rigs. I run it on all of my rigs including my SCX10.2.

Thanks guys! Thanks for the recommendation on servo horn too, I’ll be checking that one out.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Anybody ever assemble the SSD 8 Hole wheels? I’m having a lot of trouble trying to get them mounted lol.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

2 hours later, I have a set of wheels and tires lol. These are my favorite looking wheel/tire setup I’ve seen.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I like the look of those tires/wheels.....has a rugged look to it.

I have had similar problems with mounting wheels and tires and ultimately found my issue was with the foams I was using.

Typical tire setup for me is a set of Proline Krawlers with Proline dual stage foams mounted to Vanquish Methods or KMCs. By the time I got done mounting all 4 my hand was nearly ready to fall off, so for S and Gs one night I mounted a set using stock foams and they went on with little effort.

After some tinkering and inspecting, I realized it was the firmness of the closed cell foam not allowing the wheels to properly clamp down on my tires beads. Not the foams fault, they were doing their job, just too wide for my wheels.

I decided against dremeling out the foam and purchased a set of Crazy Crawler foams instead. Turned out to be a win/win cause the tires mounted with little effort and I felt like I had increased the performance of my tires.

Can't wait to see more of the build!
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I’m just running stock foams for now. Was going to get some lil novas, but figured I’d spend that money on better electronics than foam lol.

I’m trying to solder my motor/ESC together, but my god is it a PIA. I’m tempted to just order a better soldering iron, but it has to be me doing something wrong. Did I say I hate soldering??

Old 01-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
Slow is the new Fast

Yeah, foams are definitely not the sexiest buy out there. That said when you need em, you need em. Stock Proline foams are usable. I find it becomes clear when it’s time to pitch em. Besides, it means you’ll get to assemble those beadlocks all over again

Anyway, cool buy. Builder kits are the best, a blank slate. Anything is possible and I look forward to following your thread.

Like your parts list so far, solid choices in my opinion
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I’m just running stock foams for now. Was going to get some lil novas, but figured I’d spend that money on better electronics than foam lol.

I’m trying to solder my motor/ESC together, but my god is it a PIA. I’m tempted to just order a better soldering iron, but it has to be me doing something wrong. Did I say I hate soldering??

RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Yeah, foams are definitely not the sexiest buy out there. That said when you need em, you need em. Stock Proline foams are usable. I find it becomes clear when it’s time to pitch em. Besides, it means you’ll get to assemble those beadlocks all over again

Anyway, cool buy. Builder kits are the best, a blank slate. Anything is possible and I look forward to following your thread.

Like your parts list so far, solid choices in my opinion

Thanks for the compliments smog! I plan to make this a more scale rig. Normal tires, normal flex, normal body. Lol, good thing it’s only 6 screws on the wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBrutus View Post
Try using flux, if you aren't already. Also pre-tin the wires is a huge help, along with some clamps to hold everything in place while you solder.

I’m not using flux, but I truly think it is my iron. It’s not heating up enough to melt the solder, even when directly on the tip. Tip is brand new.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post

If so I had better luck transferring heat after I loosened the set screws holding the tip on and re-tightened them, seemed to have a poor connection here though that could have been due to my Weller being old. Replacing this with a nice solder station has made a huge difference, I dont regret that purchase at all.

Putting an ample amount of solder on the tip will help to transfer the heat to what your soldering. This isnt intended so you end up with more solder in the joint after your done its only to aid in transferring the heat.

As mentioned above flux or a flux core solder and tinning the wires will help

Its easy to hate anything when you dont have the proper tools.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-05-2021 at 04:49 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Are you using a basic Weller trigger solder gun?

If so I had better luck transferring heat after I loosened the set screws holding the tip on and re-tightened them, seemed to have a poor connection here though that could have been due to my Weller being old.

Putting an ample amount of solder on the tip will help to transfer the heat to what your soldering. This isnt intended so you end up with more solder in the joint after your done its only to aid in transferring the heat.

As mentioned above flux or a flux core solder will help

Its easy to hate anything when you dont have the proper tools.

No, I’m using the Weller stick iron. I had the pistol grip Weller, but it never heated up at all. Definitely is easy to hate when the proper tools are lacking lol. I’ve been thinking about getting the Hakko, but I don’t solder much so I don’t think it’s necessary for me.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Just ordered some solder, a metal servo horn, and some other odds and ends like some M3x3 screws that magically disappeared lol. Also ordered a part for the good ol TRX4

Old 01-05-2021, 08:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Anyone know why my front left tire has toe in and my right tire is straight? Is there a more permanent fix than just unscrewing the left rod end?

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-05-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Body mounted. Pretty happy with where it sits. Only had to drill one post hole, the other 3 lined up perfectly. Unfortunately the wheel well is pretty big in the back because this body did have 2.2s shoved underneath it, but I’ll probably have another body before you know it lol. I gotta say, these straight axles are lookin good underneath this body. Also think these wheels go pretty good with this body. Overall pretty happy with it.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Nothing worse than having a brand new rig on your desk waiting for parts. I may steal the driveshaft pin off of this and put in the TRX4 to get some kind of driving in. Lol.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:21 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I wonder if the hardware store would have a small enough and long enough set screw that would get you by? Idk how the selection of hardware is in the middle of the ocean though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:47 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
I wonder if the hardware store would have a small enough and long enough set screw that would get you by? Idk how the selection of hardware is in the middle of the ocean though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I was thinking about checking Ace, but I doubt they sell tiny set screws. I was gonna get solder there, but for a reasonable sized roll it’s like $40. Them Hawaii prices lol.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-06-2021 at 02:08 AM.

SLN’s Axial Experience - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your experience with Axial Rockster Beadlocks? DrDiff952 Axial Wraith 15 01-14-2014 03:30 PM
anyone had any experience with these? slash 127 General Scale Talk 5 02-22-2013 04:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience with.... kaetwo General Scale Talk 4 07-16-2008 11:05 AM
Anyone else experience this? ecoli Electronics 7 04-16-2008 04:59 PM
my 1:18 experience dhoffroad General Crawlers 15 01-26-2006 10:53 PM