Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SLN’s Axial Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SLN’s Axial Experience

Finally had the time to get the GTS shocks that have been sitting at the PO for a week, but not sure I'm going to run them now lol. I really like the look of the piggybacks on.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #42
RCC Addict

The only thing that bugs me about those reservoir shocks is the tubing between the shock body and reservoir is really large - like scales to fire hose diameter. Not sure if that's an easy fix (smaller tubing from hardware store). I know you like scale and that would bug me after a bit.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Thanks!

Thank you Stole this off my TRX4, looks a lot better over here.

Thanks Phil! I want to try and strip that paint off the windshield. It's just flat clear. Don't know if it's possible, but it's worth a try.

Aloha scale question, how did you make that body look so realistic? the rust and all? pretty awesome.... BUZZZ... Mahalos.....
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Maybe if you shortened up the tubing and clamped the reservoirs to the shock bodies it wouldn't be as obvious. But as is I can't stop staring at them lol. They would last about an hour in the trails I run though, get snagged and flip the rig over haha.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Aloha scale question, how did you make that body look so realistic? the rust and all? pretty awesome.... BUZZZ... Mahalos.....

I heard the humidity in Hawaii is so bad that even plastic rusts
Old 01-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
The only thing that bugs me about those reservoir shocks is the tubing between the shock body and reservoir is really large - like scales to fire hose diameter. Not sure if that's an easy fix (smaller tubing from hardware store). I know you like scale and that would bug me after a bit.
Quote:
Maybe if you shortened up the tubing and clamped the reservoirs to the shock bodies it wouldn't be as obvious. But as is I can't stop staring at them lol. They would last about an hour in the trails I run though, get snagged and flip the rig over haha.
Yeah, the tubing is pretty big. I am going to see if I can put another size tubing on it. I have been thinking they may get snagged, so I probably will put them back on the shock.

Quote:
Thanks man! I could explain it all, but I went through it on page 4-5 on my TRX4 build. That's where most of it went down. I did add some more here and there, but just tiny bits. I didn't go super in-depth though, so If you need any more explanation, shoot me a PM.

EDIT: It also kinda weathered itself on the trail. This happened because I left quite a bit of salt on, so it got knocked off while trailing. The only thing I don't like is the top corner of the windshield, glass doesn't fold like plastic.

ScaleLifeNewbie’s TRX4 build

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-14-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I heard the humidity in Hawaii is so bad that even plastic rusts
That would suck! the TRX4 is already a rust bucket
Old 01-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah, the tubing is pretty big. I am going to see if I can put another size tubing on it. I have been thinking they may get snagged, so I probably will put them back on the shock.

Thanks man! I could explain it all, but I went through it on page 4-5 on my TRX4 build. That's where most of it went down. I did add some more here and there, but just tiny bits. I didn't go super in-depth though, so If you need any more explanation, shoot me a PM.

EDIT: It also kinda weathered itself on the trail. This happened because I left quite a bit of salt on, so it got knocked off while trailing. The only thing I don't like is the top corner of the windshield, glass doesn't fold like plastic.

ScaleLifeNewbie’s TRX4 build

Awesome Im thinking next year of making a weathered body and that's the most realistic one I've seen! IMHO.... Every time I see it on your threads Im like wow that looks legit rusted and weathered and thought it was metal.. LOL. Mahalo....
Old 01-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Honeyman! It was my first weathered body I've done, so i definitely screwed it up in some spots.

I gave in a drove it on Sunday. I wanted to keep it clean since I'm still working on it, but whatever lol. I really really like it. Spots where the TRX4 would flip, it walked right up it without even lifting a tire. Yes, there were some spots where the diff would get hung up, but I got around it with a little fiddling. I like the driving style change it comes with.

I was very surprised how good it climbed in these spots I never thought about taking the TRX4 on because I know it'll just flip.

It's a little on the slow side, but also I was running the RC4WD 45T and XL-5 out of the TRX4. It's about the same speed as the TRX4 in low gear. I think once I get the HH 27T and 1080 combo installed, it'll be a little bit faster(I hope!) Also was just running the Canyon Trails with super degraded foams, can't wait to throw on the BFG Krawlers in G8 and see how they do.

Overall, I'm super happy with it. Even though it has it's limitations, I still like it better than the TRX4.

Oh yeah, I ran it with the Desert Lizard's and not too impressed. Got it back inside and changed the shock oil since they are super stiff. The old oil came out black lol. Put in some fresh 30wt and it's still super stiff. Switched to the GTS shocks and it's buttery smooth and soft now. I put them on the TRX4, and they seem to be better on the heavier rigs. Not sure If I can change the internal spring, but for now I'll stick with the GTS shocks.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-19-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks Honeyman! It was my first weathered body I've done, so i definitely screwed it up in some spots.

I gave in a drove it on Sunday. I wanted to keep it clean since I'm still working on it, but whatever lol. I really really like it. Spots where the TRX4 would flip, it walked right up it without even lifting a tire. Yes, there were some spots where the diff would get hung up, but I got around it with a little fiddling. I like the driving style change it comes with.

I was very surprised how good it climbed in these spots I never thought about taking the TRX4 on because I know it'll just flip.

It's a little on the slow side, but also I was running the RC4WD 45T and XL-5 out of the TRX4. It's about the same speed as the TRX4 in low gear. I think once I get the HH 27T and 1080 combo installed, it'll be a little bit faster(I hope!) Also was just running the Canyon Trails with super degraded foams, can't wait to throw on the BFG Krawlers in G8 and see how they do.

Overall, I'm super happy with it. Even though it has it's limitations, I still like it better than the TRX4.

The HH and the HB 1080 are going to make a huge difference in your performance! you are going to love it!!! Other than the HH BR-XL ESC the 1080 is my go to for any crawler and works with all the Holmes Hobbies Brushed motors Perfectly.... BUZZZZZ......
Old 01-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The HH and the HB 1080 are going to make a huge difference in your performance! you are going to love it!!.
I think so too
Old 01-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Awesome to hear your results were positive with the new rig.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Awesome to hear your results were positive with the new rig.
Yeah man, me too lol. I am still surprised how much more planted it was.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

That's the best feeling in the world....after the build and all the setup checks, having it perform well on the first run is like winning the lotto!

Loving the body too BTW, pics of it look great!
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBrutus View Post
That's the best feeling in the world....after the build and all the setup checks, having it perform well on the first run is like winning the lotto!

Loving the body too BTW, pics of it look great!
Definitely is a great feeling. Thank you! That body has been getting a lot of love lately, on the forums and from me
Old 01-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Pics. Need pics.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:59 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Pics. Need pics.
I know I know, I didn't get many since it was only a 10~ min run to keep it as clean as possible, but I promise there will be pics soon. Solder, metal horn, and set screws will be arriving tomorrow so I can be almost done with it. I stole a set screw off my Ender 3
Old 01-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #58
RCC Addict

I like random build pics. Never too many of those. Actually like them better than flex Friday hashtag Instagram glamour shots in the sunset lol.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I like random build pics. Never too many of those. Actually like them better than flex Friday hashtag Instagram glamour shots in the sunset lol.
me too lol. Not much changed in the past week, except no more piggybacks. Not picture worthy.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN’s Axial Experience

For some reason, the screw holding the RR shock on keeps coming out. I think it pulled the threads out the first time it came off. I'm going to order some long M3 screws and locknuts so I can bolt that sucker down.

I wanted to leave the XT60 connector on and use a TRX-XT60 adapter, but I had already cut off the XT60 when I got it, so I figured I would just go ahead and put the Traxxas connector on since I'll be using these Traxxas batteries until they are dead. Didn't make much since to get rid of perfectly good batteries/charger just to get a different connector on them. So, Traxxas connector is on the 1080 Getting closer and closer to running the 1080/HH combo!

New wheel hubs will be here Monday so I can finally run the Krawlers as well. Hoping to have everything up and running by Wednesday.

Not really SCX10 related, but the TRX4 driveshaft will be here Monday too, so I'm going to take them to a few spots and put them head-to-head. Very curious how each preform against each other.

And yeah, that's about it for now. Still nothing interesting/picture worthy.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-28-2021 at 07:47 PM.

SLN’s Axial Experience - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your experience with Axial Rockster Beadlocks? DrDiff952 Axial Wraith 15 01-14-2014 03:30 PM
anyone had any experience with these? slash 127 General Scale Talk 5 02-22-2013 04:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience with.... kaetwo General Scale Talk 4 07-16-2008 11:05 AM
Anyone else experience this? ecoli Electronics 7 04-16-2008 04:59 PM
my 1:18 experience dhoffroad General Crawlers 15 01-26-2006 10:53 PM