Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #121
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Default Re: SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Odd since I'm sure it was designed for a Spektrum servo. I'm not having the same issue as you, but I'm using the Holmes v3. My servo horn does hit the cutout in the Panhard mount just before or at the same time as the knuckle hits the steering stop.
I thought it was odd too, but with the small amount I had to clearance, it buttery smooth. Just wonder if anyone else ran into the same thing, however the 6280 probably isn't the most popular crawler servo. It is super quiet compared to my Savox servos though and perform just as or if not better.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #122
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I took the supplied black grease and squirted a little bit into the hole. After that the screws seemed to go in just fine without fear of breaking them while still being very snug and tight.
I did this for the shift and drag linkage mounts, worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbspeed View Post
The M3 tap will produce overlarged holes, so the screws will wobble.
I had good luck with the tap, but I tapped it very carefully by hand and only tapped 2/3 of the way through

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
It is super quiet compared to my Savox servos though and perform just as or if not better.
Being quieter than a Savox is like being taller than Peter Dinklage...you haven't really accomplished much!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #123

Man, this manual looks even worse than the Element Builders kit manual. Those not to scale link build photos with measurements in the Element kit about had me yanking my arms off. Axial and Element sure don't make manuals like Tamiya, Kyosho and even Traxxas for the Sport builders kit do they?
Spacefeeak1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacefeeak1974 View Post
Man, this manual looks even worse than the Element Builders kit manual. Those not to scale link build photos with measurements in the Element kit about had me yanking my arms off. Axial and Element sure don't make manuals like Tamiya, Kyosho and even Traxxas for the Sport builders kit do they?

I’ve built both, this is almost perfect, with a few minor issues as Rich pointed out. And I did just build a large Tamiya kit.... I was lost more than once a page on it.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #125
Gold Star Baby!

Agreed, this manual wasn’t bad at all. I think only one picture was out of scale but the measurements were right.

All in all this was a pretty solid manual IMO, considering it’s a first draft. Rich’s post here (which was also shared by him on social media to get the word out) corrected any confusion I ran into.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzjohn View Post
Can you show us where you put the shims using the picture in the build manual please ?
Here is where I put the .2mm shims
Attached Images

Texas30cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #127
Rock Stacker

My first issue with the build was a loud whining noise coming from the stock pinion/spur gears that came in the kit. Checked for gear lash (play) and found none between these two gears. Verified that the motor was correctly mounted in the 14T holes in the motor plate. Replaced the 14 tooth pinion with another brand (Traxxas) and the whining was completely cured. No clicking sound was ever noted. Good to go!

Secondly, using a Reefs Raw 500 servo and the stock 25-spline servo arm, I had the clearance problem with the panhard link mount. This significantly limited my steering to the left. Dremeled that bracket down in the conflict area and problem was cured. Also seems that the steering link should have been a few mm shorter to properly align the servo horn. And it is interesting that we received an extra one of the panhard link mounts in the kit (which has less material towards the rear; whereas, I needed less to its front side).

My thanks to Rich Trujillo for setting us straight on several important build issues. I owe him a drink...LOL And thanks to everyone else for trying to improve the knowledgebase for the build of this truck. Cheers!
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #128
Rock Stacker

Trying to utilize a Reefs 99 micro servo to operate the DIG. Thinking back to my Capra build with the same servo, I believe that I had to buy a Spektrum 107 servo to get the included plastic piece that goes on the splines.

Does anyone know if this is the only solution for fitting the Reefs 99 servo?
Old 04-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Trying to utilize a Reefs 99 micro servo to operate the DIG. Thinking back to my Capra build with the same servo, I believe that I had to buy a Spektrum 107 servo to get the included plastic piece that goes on the splines.

They sell the tiny adapter separately, SBG posted a link for it on YouTube
Axial part.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #130
Quarry Creeper

This servo saver kit looks like it includes all the parts. I guess as long as the micro servo you use has the same teeth in the spline. It looks like these are 23 tooth.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/2-speed...r-set-axic3009
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #131
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
They sell the tiny adapter separately, SBG posted a link for it on YouTube
Axial part.

Hang up and Drive
"Axial part"?
Old 04-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
"Axial part"?

Yes an Axial part

https://www.amainhobbies.com/2speed-...2921_f1a202fc1

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-07-2020, 10:25 PM   #133
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I don’t have a 10.3 but I used the Reef’s 25 spline mini servo horn to make the 99 work as the dig servo in my Capra.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #134
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
This servo saver kit looks like it includes all the parts. I guess as long as the micro servo you use has the same teeth in the spline. It looks like these are 23 tooth.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/2-speed...r-set-axic3009
The 2 speed servo saver set includes 23, 24, & 25 spline bases for full size servo outputs which is a pretty important distinction. Lots of micro servos use the same spline count in a smaller diameter so these bases won't fit anything using a micro sized spline.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #135
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The 2 speed servo saver set includes 23, 24, & 25 spline bases for full size servo outputs which is a pretty important distinction. Lots of micro servos use the same spline count in a smaller diameter so these bases won't fit anything using a micro sized spline.
This would be an important distinction. When looking at the compatibility of the part from Axial website it shows it for 2 speed transmission as well as the 1/18th vehicles.

Are you certain that the diameter of this would be for a full sized servo and not a micro servo? Now I am confused.

Axial Racing - 2-Speed Hi/Lo Servo Saver Set
Old 04-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #136
I wanna be Dave

Splines are splines.....

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #137
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yes, totally agree; but, I do currently have an Axial servo saver assembly attached to a Reefs 99 Micro Servo on my Capra.

Thinking back, I believe that I know how that came to be. I was at my local hobby shop to purchase a 2-Speed Hi-Lo Servo Saver Set #AX31009 which I did (and still have it). A customer came in to buy a Spektrum 107 Micro Servo to replace one that had failed on his Capra RTR. When looking at his purchase, we immediately noticed the difference in size of the plastic part that was included. Because he could reuse the same plastic piece from his RTR, he was able to give me the one in the package. And that is how I was able to utilize an Axial Servo Saver with my Reefs 99 on my Capra. Mystery solved.

It's hell getting old!
Old 04-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #138
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas30cal View Post
Here is where I put the .2mm shims
I've had this same annoying ticking or clicking sound too. I just tried this and the ticking was still there. I ended up removing the .2mm shims and flipped one of the gears 180 degrees on the shaft. Crazily the ticking is now gone.

I'm not sure what it is with these two gears but some combination of shims/flipping a gear around seems to cure it.
vinnieb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #139
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
This would be an important distinction. When looking at the compatibility of the part from Axial website it shows it for 2 speed transmission as well as the 1/18th vehicles.

Are you certain that the diameter of this would be for a full sized servo and not a micro servo? Now I am confused.
Yes, I have a few of the servo saver sets here.

The set was made for the 2 speed linkage for the Yeti/Bomber which used full size servos, they adapted the design to the Yeti Jr later which included a different servo base that was not included with the 2 speed servo saver set.

Here is a pic of the servo bases compared to the 21T micro base that came with the original Yeti Jr:

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #140
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes, I have a few of the servo saver sets here.

The set was made for the 2 speed linkage for the Yeti/Bomber which used full size servos, they adapted the design to the Yeti Jr later which included a different servo base that was not included with the 2 speed servo saver set.

Here is a pic of the servo bases compared to the 21T micro base that came with the original Yeti Jr:

Ahhh OK yes I can see the difference. Thank you for the clarification. I have never used a servo saver in any other RC in my past so this is new to me. Looking around for servo savers it seems that most everybody has them for something specific, not just a universal one that works or at least not that I can find. I am not asking anyone to research this for me.

I had already decided to just get the Spektrum ones and if they fail I'll either replace with the same or then look to see what else has worked for others.

SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 III coming soon? svt923 Axial SCX10 III 434 06-04-2021 11:24 PM
SCX10 iii or Wendigo AK KRAWLER General Crawlers 11 03-22-2020 09:23 PM
Class III scx build falcon32 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 10-10-2016 06:33 PM
first scx10 build looking for tips Crawlerdjc Axial SCX-10 0 03-12-2011 09:03 PM
build tips and setup tips iwantoffroad Tamiya CR-01 7 12-04-2008 06:20 PM