Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #161
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Sounds like wrong EP. I finally set my servo at 1:00 when centered, no sub trim used, this is freewheel. My EP are set at 30/70 and I have full engagement at both ends , no clicking. I use the 2P sw and lock to 4w perfectly

Hang up and Drive
So you assign one switch to operate the dig servo as 2P (4WD and rear lock) and then setup a second switch as 3P to shift into 3 wheel or another 2P to go from 4WD to 2WD?

Interesting. I'll have to try that out and play more with my EPs / Nuetral position. This is all new to me with a dig but the principle is the same for setting EPs. Thanks, I'll play around and see if I can get it to perform a bit better.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Default SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
So you assign one switch to operate the dig servo as 2P (4WD and rear lock) and then setup a second switch as 3P to shift into 3 wheel or another 2P to go from 4WD to 2WD?

Interesting. I'll have to try that out and play more with my EPs / Nuetral position. This is all new to me with a dig but the principle is the same for setting EPs. Thanks, I'll play around and see if I can get it to perform a bit better.

Yes. Watch the verrrrry end, Josh sets it up that way. (26:45)

https://youtu.be/3Vgw4jpUqk4

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #163
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Yes. Watch the verrrrry end, Josh sets it up that way. (26:45)

https://youtu.be/3Vgw4jpUqk4

Hang up and Drive
Yes I did watch that part and I just watched it again. I am not able to find that sweet spot for the neutral position. If I am in 2WD and go up a steep incline it won't go obviously. Now there is a load on the transmission and simply going back to 4WD (not moving the servo back into dig position at all) the rear actually ends up locking up. I have to move the servo to dig position then to 4WD to get that rear to unlock. This does not make sense to me. I then tried adjusting the neutral position to be further forward towards the 4WD position but I still encountered the same.

With all of that being said. For me personally, I do not get any real benefit from 2WD that I can see to worry about it. I was more tinkering to see that I could setup and get the 3P to work. It does but just not under load for me. I'll probably just stick with the 2P as that works flawlessly for me even under load.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
Yes I did watch that part and I just watched it again. I am not able to find that sweet spot for the neutral position. If I am in 2WD and go up a steep incline it won't go obviously. Now there is a load on the transmission and simply going back to 4WD (not moving the servo back into dig position at all) the rear actually ends up locking up. I have to move the servo to dig position then to 4WD to get that rear to unlock. This does not make sense to me. I then tried adjusting the neutral position to be further forward towards the 4WD position but I still encountered the same.
Any luck? I struggled with mine and was able to get it to work reliably in all three positions after watching Harley's video.
Richr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #165
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richr8 View Post
Any luck? I struggled with mine and was able to get it to work reliably in all three positions after watching Harley's video.
No luck as honestly the free wheel did not do anything for me and my style of driving. I could not get it to work reliably and since I did not find any use for it I just set it to a 2P switch and that works great for me!
Old 04-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #166

Default Question = Spring pre-load

I finished reading this entire thread after I built my car and fortunately found many of the issues mentioned here on Youtube build and review videos.

Unfortunately, I did crush 1 e-clip while assembling the shocks, so my first run was with rubber bands holding up the right rear axle. On the plus side, I now have 9 spares after ordering a set from Horizon. I did manage to get the springs reversed (Red-F, Gr-R), thanks to Harley, since there is no mention of which colors go where in the manual. Aside from that, no real issues during the build.

Anyway, to my question. How do you determine the correct pre-load on the springs? All the way up, down, halfway.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #167
Rock Crawler

How wide are the bumper mounts? Will a trx-4 bumper fit without too much modification?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #168
RCC Addict

Default Re: Question = Spring pre-load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richr8 View Post
How do you determine the correct pre-load on the springs? All the way up, down, halfway.
It really is a matter of personal preference. I like to have a 40% droop setup, meaning with a battery in and the body on, I want the shocks to be compressed 40% of their available travel while sitting level. It lets the suspension work with some rebound but still allows for 60% uptravel. Sometimes one shock needs to be adjusted harder to compensate for torque twist if that presents, but that seems to be a good starting point. Adjust to your driving style and chosen terrain once in the wild.

These springs were fairly soft so I had mine adjusted almost halfway down the tube to achieve the above and sit level without the Carolina squat.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #169

Default Re: Question = Spring pre-load

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
It really is a matter of personal preference. I like to have a 40% droop setup, meaning with a battery in and the body on, I want the shocks to be compressed 40% of their available travel while sitting level. It lets the suspension work with some rebound but still allows for 60% uptravel. Sometimes one shock needs to be adjusted harder to compensate for torque twist if that presents, but that seems to be a good starting point. Adjust to your driving style and chosen terrain once in the wild.

These springs were fairly soft so I had mine adjusted almost halfway down the tube to achieve the above and sit level without the Carolina squat.
Thank you.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas30cal View Post
Here is where I put the .2mm shims
I did notice a flat edge and a semi-beveled edge on the gears. I didn't have to put any shims at all. I pointed the beveled part away from the trans case to the inner gears. I wonder if that is the issue because as you know there isn't anything in the builder manual that states that.
CrawlingFOOL112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #171

When building, take note of the transmission options to limit 2W-4W shifting and to enable DIG. There are little plastic tubes (washers), these spacers will stop the movement of the shifters. See photos:

Last edited by Greyfoxvt; 05-05-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Greyfoxvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #172
I wanna be Dave

note, those same spacers in another position enables the functions simple and solid

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #173

Default Shock mounting positions

Pardon my stupidity but I'm going over the manual before receiving my kit I came across something I'd like to clarify...

Reference Images to the stock manual: https://imgur.com/a/FmSEqrh

On page 34 for the front bottom mount shows the shock to be installed on the inner section of axle while on page 42 (not as clear) it shows it's mounted on the outter secion.

Same for rear (page 35) it shows to mount on inner section on axle but on page 37, it shows it's installed on the outter.

Where does it actually want me to install it? Again, I don't have the kit yet (stupid backorder) but just wanted to do a once-over with the manual...

Thanks, guys!
wa1210ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #174

Default Re: Shock mounting positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1210ck View Post
Where does it actually want me to install it? Again, I don't have the kit yet (stupid backorder) but just wanted to do a once-over with the manual...

Thanks, guys!
Both front and rear go on the outside.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #175
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1210ck View Post
Pardon my stupidity but I'm going over the manual before receiving my kit I came across something I'd like to clarify...

Reference Images to the stock manual: https://imgur.com/a/FmSEqrh

On page 34 for the front bottom mount shows the shock to be installed on the inner section of axle while on page 42 (not as clear) it shows it's mounted on the outter secion.

Same for rear (page 35) it shows to mount on inner section on axle but on page 37, it shows it's installed on the outter.

Thanks, guys!
That's where I put mine, on the outside..Inboard I believe the shocks would bind.
dezracer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #176

Thanks guys, that's what I was figuring. I've seen enough of these crawler kits to notice that but just wanted to be sure! Never would I have thought I'd scrutinize a manual...hahah!
wa1210ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezracer99 View Post
That's where I put mine, on the outside..Inboard I believe the shocks would bind.
I built mine to the manual positions at first (shocks inside, links outside). The front tires hit the links during steering, so i read through here and realized i had to swap them.
jmitchell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #178

Rich Trujillo and others,
So what’s the purpose of using the composite material for the shock mounts? IMO the plastic would be as good, pat least you can thread it with out tapping the hole. Tapping the hole removes more material and becomes weak when tightening the shock mounts.
RcHydronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #179
I wanna be Dave

The fiber make a much stronger part, that won’t shear and bend. I love it’s strength vs the old axial pasta!

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #180

mikemcE I agree that the material is stronger, but when it’s stripped out like the plastic it’s no better. I guess when that happens you mix up some epoxy, fill the hole drill and retap.
RcHydronut is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 III coming soon? svt923 Axial SCX10 III 434 06-04-2021 11:24 PM
SCX10 iii or Wendigo AK KRAWLER General Crawlers 11 03-22-2020 09:23 PM
Class III scx build falcon32 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 10-10-2016 06:33 PM
first scx10 build looking for tips Crawlerdjc Axial SCX-10 0 03-12-2011 09:03 PM
build tips and setup tips iwantoffroad Tamiya CR-01 7 12-04-2008 06:20 PM