Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #461
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I have the Axials in front and I have MIPs for the driveshafts. Do you think that even with a light finger and comon sence you could drive it or just stay away totally.
Im not saying stay away, I actually have two coming my way. They just demand you to drive smart. It's just hard to do that when you have such a fun setup.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #462
RCC Addict

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

Well I couldn't resist Took it to our hobby shop and tore it up a bit on the practice track and boy were heads turning Tonight was race night so all the short course guys were loving it I also crawled with it on our indoor course and it crawls just fine. I think the 56/15 is right for me. Now I just need to tune the throttle a bit and also get a longer sensor wire. This piece of crap keeps falling out. Time to put the gear cover on and get some interior in it. When is axial gonna have their sway bar kit available? I need it now

Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #463
I wanna be Dave

My car is extemely durable. I run overs front, unders rear, maxx shafts, steel trans gears w/ alum trans case. I was airing it 3-5 verticle ft to a flat landing at ACC and only broke a thin servo horn. The Pro 4 is legit. When I say all around bashing I mean all around, crawling, jumping, hill climbs, etc. It will pull some serious 2.2 lines. Rear steer helps in that department as well.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #464
I wanna be Dave

I will soon be testing the Holmes Hobbies 2000kv Revolver S in it. Most likely on 4s. I have a feeling it will help the crawling a ton while still giving the speed I need.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #465
Quarry Creeper

i have a tekin 35t motor and a mamba max (the old one, not pro) and i will run in 3s. what kind of gearing on 32p for a faster rig than the stock 20t on 2s?
Thanks!
Daddydancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #466
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddydancool View Post
i have a tekin 35t motor and a mamba max (the old one, not pro) and i will run in 3s. what kind of gearing on 32p for a faster rig than the stock 20t on 2s?
Thanks!
Edit - didn't see the voltage difference. Try the stock gearing for now. It should be close to the same, and I wouldn't recommend a higher ratio at all.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #467
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Edit - didn't see the voltage difference. Try the stock gearing for now. It should be close to the same, and I wouldn't recommend a higher ratio at all.

Thanks!
Daddydancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #468
Quarry Creeper

hello every body ,
im loving the info nearly read all 24 pages lol but i think i may have an infomation overload now, im trying to piece together everything i need for my wraith build from stores here in the uk ,iv looked pretty much everywhere here and i can't seem to find anything lower than a 35t tekin is this a problem for good speed ??? right upto tekin 55tpro in a combo with the crawler specific fxr esc you which one do i need or doesnt it really matter ????

alsoo the front steering servo ,to be safe i was thinking waterproof for that too ,is it really neccesary if im just going through bigish puddles and any recomendation??
the drive gear on the top allways seems tobe plastic even on high torque models can i pull it off and put on a metal one ?

cant wait to get started now but dont want to buy the wrong things ,and deffinetly have to have the kit build none of this off the shelf rubbish lol
im planning on a lada niva scale rig maybe a range rover bobtail the roll cage just screams niva at me i love it .

back to motors briefly, does the amount of turns have anything to do with its speed or is it purely a measure of torque ???

one other question is i see the esc's are waterproof but what about the motor's , iv seen people speak of running them under/semi submerged water which id like to do if i get the oppertunity but do i have todo anything to the wires other than spraying silicon spray over it ?? i thought or is that a really bad idea??? again any feed back would be coolio

once again love reading all the post so much to learn still lol

oh and harley youv'e put me off novac's lol thaught the goat was such a cool product name lol
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #469
Rock Stacker

Was just wondering, has anyone run one of the 550 can SC motors in their wraith? If so how is it compared to to the tekin pro4 as for as torque and wheel speed?
Thanks for any and all input

Mike
TheSaundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #470
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
So I installed my novak 4.5 550 with 21/80 gearing. It is exactly what I wanted. Excellent speed and really good crawling. I'm going to switch over to 32p and will lower the gearing a little but I don't want to lose much wheel speed. I only run 2s lipos and it's definitely not too much motor as long as the drivetrain is built up. FWIW

Here you go, post #412
I might try my Speed Passion 2500kv 1/8 scale motor if I feel like taking my IFS rig apart and a Trinity Monster Horsepower 6.5t 550 also and see how it work's out.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #471
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
hello every body ,
im loving the info nearly read all 24 pages lol but i think i may have an infomation overload now, im trying to piece together everything i need for my wraith build from stores here in the uk ,iv looked pretty much everywhere here and i can't seem to find anything lower than a 35t tekin is this a problem for good speed ??? right upto tekin 55tpro in a combo with the crawler specific fxr esc you which one do i need or doesnt it really matter ????

alsoo the front steering servo ,to be safe i was thinking waterproof for that too ,is it really neccesary if im just going through bigish puddles and any recomendation??
the drive gear on the top allways seems tobe plastic even on high torque models can i pull it off and put on a metal one ?

cant wait to get started now but dont want to buy the wrong things ,and deffinetly have to have the kit build none of this off the shelf rubbish lol
im planning on a lada niva scale rig maybe a range rover bobtail the roll cage just screams niva at me i love it .

back to motors briefly, does the amount of turns have anything to do with its speed or is it purely a measure of torque ???

one other question is i see the esc's are waterproof but what about the motor's , iv seen people speak of running them under/semi submerged water which id like to do if i get the oppertunity but do i have todo anything to the wires other than spraying silicon spray over it ?? i thought or is that a really bad idea??? again any feed back would be coolio

once again love reading all the post so much to learn still lol

oh and harley youv'e put me off novac's lol thaught the goat was such a cool product name lol
Alright I'll try and get all these.

Waterproof servo, not really needed for splashing through puddles. I run Futabas 9157 fully submerged all the time and never an issue.

Yes the number of winds on a motor does correlate to speed. However it can get very confusing. Such as 5 slot Holmes Crawlmaster 13 turn is about the same as a standard 3 slot 27 turn which Holmes sells as a Torquemaster. And a brushless 17.5 is not the same as a 17 turn brushed either. Brushless is usually referred to in KV which is a rpm/volt measurement. There is not a good standard way to compare all motors.

Brushed motors are fine underwater, sensor less brushless can be but need to use caution and sensored brushless should not go in water without a significant waterproofing (I don't personnaly suggest it).
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #472
Quarry Creeper

cool harley, thanks for the reply mate, so in theory the tekin pro 55t should give good top end and be ok for messing about on the rocks..? im gonna get that combo me thinks, cheers again harley
Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #473
20K Club

Quote:
cool harley, thanks for the reply mate, so in theory the tekin pro 55t should give good top end and be ok for messing about on the rocks..? im gonna get that combo me thinks, cheers again harley
No, higher the number the slower the motor. A 55t is pretty slow but good for rocks. I would suggest a 35t is you want to crawl and have a little speed.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #474

Well I haven't bought my kit yet but I'm trying to round up the electronics I'm going to use. I have a mmp already, getting a pro 4 3300, just wondering about a servo. I will be primarily using this for a camping toy. Is the DIG something I would want to use? What servo would be good for the DIG? Also are there any must need upgrades for the kit with what Im going to be running for electronics?

Thanks, this will be my first crawler/scaler build any help is greatly appreciated.
Adam
Gas Rat Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #475
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Rat Racin View Post
Well I haven't bought my kit yet but I'm trying to round up the electronics I'm going to use. I have a mmp already, getting a pro 4 3300, just wondering about a servo. I will be primarily using this for a camping toy. Is the DIG something I would want to use? What servo would be good for the DIG? Also are there any must need upgrades for the kit with what Im going to be running for electronics?

Thanks, this will be my first crawler/scaler build any help is greatly appreciated.
Adam

Check the other sticky for most of your answers. That is a big motor that will require lots of upgrades to the kit to keep it together.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #476
Quarry Creeper

ahh right ok, so thats a 35t combo then nice one harley, am i right in thinking that a "dig" is used for a dual steering application ?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #477
20K Club

Quote:
ahh right ok, so thats a 35t combo then nice one harley, am i right in thinking that a "dig" is used for a dual steering application ?
No a dig is a system used to disconnect and lock the rear drive shaft so you can make a tight turn. YouTube Dig RC Crawler and you should be able to see it.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #478
RCC Addict

im putting a 35t motor in. im running a 2s 4200. leaving the axles alone what would be a good pinion spur gear combo to run. i had 18/80 with the 55t and it was just to hot
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #479
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
im putting a 35t motor in. im running a 2s 4200. leaving the axles alone what would be a good pinion spur gear combo to run. i had 18/80 with the 55t and it was just to hot
Depends what you're wanting for speed. For a decent mix go with something like a 84/16 or so.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #480
RCC Addict

all i really do with it is crawl. i'd like some speed but i dont want the motor getting to hot and burnin up like the 55t
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote