Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #521
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

ok thanks for the quick reply
dogzpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #522
Pebble Pounder

I have had alot of different combos from HH/35t, traxxas vxl, SW/Titan 21t mmp with a variety of sensored and sensorless motors from 4000kv to 13.5. I tried a friends wraith with a mmp/ pro4 3300 and I was instantly sold!!! I got one the next day, took it home waterproofed it with plastidip got some 32p gears, I went with 58/12 on 3s. It is the perfect balance of slow speed control and torque and speed. Amazing combo soooo happy I went with it, although I snapped a rc4wd xvd like a twig but I knew I was Gunna have some sds super 300's in my future.

Axial Wraith (Reeper build) first run with tekin pro4 3300/mmp - YouTube

omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #523
Rock Crawler

Was wanting to know how the MMP/pro4 3300 compare to the VXL3 system as far as speed. I know crawling would be better, because the VXL will shut down with too much crawling. I've got my VXL3 geared 90/14 right now. Also would a pro4 4400 on 2s be the same as a pro4 3300 on 3s give about the same top end speed? I like the ability to open it up sometimes and just fly.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #524
Pebble Pounder

well the difference in speed with similar gearing will be pretty close as the vxl is 3500kv and the pro4 3300 is 3300kv. Big difference is the pro4 is a 5mm shaft so you either will have to get hot racing or robinson racing 5mm 48p gears or do like most of us do is switch to 32p gearing. And the pro4 is 4 pole with a huge 18.5mm rotor so it has ALOT more torque than the vxl. So with that you can gear the pro4 alot higher and it will be faster than the vxl.
omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #525
20K Club

Gearing added! See post 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
GEARING!

Ok, I've answered the "what gearing for my xxxxx setup" question about 346 times too many. It's time to try and cover it as best I can here. *However the issue is that it goes hand in hand with motor choice, so this could get windy. These are all just starting points and there are hundreds or thousands of combinations. This is just a quick reference to get new people started in the right direction.

First off, when I refer to numbers in the format similar to "80/20", this means 80 tooth spur/20 tooth pinion. So, 84/14 would mean 84t spur/14t pinion, clear?

Are you running a stock motor? Short story, 84/16

If so then your gearing choices are limited but should be handled immediately if you are running the RTR. The stock gearing 80/20 (4:1 ratio) is too high of a ratio for the stock motor. The stock motor will not last you long anyway but if you want to extend it's life you need to regear, NOW. You are going to lose speed, there is just no way around it, I would suggest an 84/16 (5.25:1 ratio) setup.

Are you running a little higher speed brushed or brushless (Examples: 13t CrawlMaster, 27t TorqueMaster, 13.5 Redline)? Short Story, 56/14 32p

Did you read the post #2? If you are running something I suggested (or similar to that) then the stock gear ratio is probably fine for you. The problem is that the little 48 pitch gears can't hold the power, you need to upgrade to 32 pitch gears. The stock ratio of 4:1 is fine, so you just need to equivalent in 32p. 56/14 is the same ratio. You can still run the stock spur cover with this setup as well. If you want a little more strength and tooth contact area you can go to 60/15 but the stock spur cover is likely a no go. Also with the 60/15 setup some motors require you to do a little filing on the motor plate to slide the motor over further. If you are running/wanting a Tekin Pro4 (or similar high power brushless) then see the last section.

Are you running something for mostly trails and crawling (example, 35t Torqemaster)? Short Story, 84/18

If you changed out your motor to something with a little more low end control and power then you likely could benefit from a better gear ratio. This isn't a must for a setup in this range however. The stock ratio is OK, but just not ideal in my opinion for someone who is looking to spend most of their time going slow. I do still feel that even if you're a rock crawler only that you will benefit from some wheel speed. I would suggest that if you do change gearing you start with an 84/18 setup.

Are you running a Tekin Pro4 (or similar high power brushless)? Short story. just read the rest of it!

If so then you likely need to build everything as strong as possible. I have gone this route personally. My suggestion is the 56t Gen3 metal spur and slipper setup from Robinson racing. To run this setup you will also need to buy a Traxxas slipper rebuild kit, all you will use from this kit is a black spring and a lock nut though. The next thing you need to buy is the Beefy top shaft from v84x4 here on RCC. I will include a link shortly. With the Pro4 you also must buy a pinion that has a 5mm bore and is hardened steel so that it wears more slowly against the steel spur gear, a 14t pinion is my suggestion. The Pro4 is very high power and you will likely spend the rest of your money replacing things in the truck since it was never meant to have something like this bolted into it!

That is my best first shot at handling this question. I'll come back and edit as required.

Last edited by Harley; 03-21-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #526

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

"The Pro4 is very high power and you will likely spend the rest of your money replacing things in the truck since it was never meant to have something like this bolted into it!"
OMG i cant wait, its in the mail
bongrips420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #527
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the gearing info!
despain85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #528
Pebble Pounder

Any recommendation on which 32 pitch gear to buy? Where to buy it?
Quiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #529
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiel View Post
Any recommendation on which 32 pitch gear to buy? Where to buy it?
Kimbrough. Where ever you can buy it.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #530
RCC Addict

Quote:
Aren't you running Traxxas?
I haven't found a 56T Kimbrough that has the correct bolt pattern. They have only two holes instead of 3. Not sure about the 60T
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #531
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Aren't you running Traxxas?
I haven't found a 56T Kimbrough that has the correct bolt pattern. They have only two holes instead of 3. Not sure about the 60T
Traxxas pinion, kimbrough spur.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #532
RCC Addict

Ah, so the 60T must have the correct bolt pattern. Weird they wouldn't have the same on the 56T. Oh well, the Duratrax 56T does the trick.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #533
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I found a Robinson 14T pinion gears but cannot find a Kimbrough 56T 32P spurs. Closest is a 54T 32P. But I did find a Duratrax 56T 32P spurs.

Last edited by Quiel; 03-21-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Quiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #534
Rock Crawler

I already own a couple BRXLs and 3S lipos.
Using the stock RTR 20turn motor on 2s lipo as a comparative reference, what wheelspeed will I get from the CM 13turn on 3s lipo?
(Assuming the same gearing 87/20?)
Just curious about this before I place the order.
Thanks.
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #535
Pebble Pounder

Hi guys ive following this for ages. And I don have much input as u all seem to be on the ball more than me. So I ask u this, I wish to trail with my wraith, can any1 tell me where I can buy the rite gears for me wraith. Id like wat has been sujested in the start of this thread. A 84/16 spur n pinion. Ive found heaps but dont no what fits wat. So please if any1 can say, this site and this is wat u need to buy, would be a great help
Cheers guys for all ur help an knoledge that we still av to learn lol

rc is no hobby its a disease

Last edited by scoobyblue; 03-21-2012 at 02:46 AM.
scoobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #536
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.DUKE View Post
I already own a couple BRXLs and 3S lipos.
Using the stock RTR 20turn motor on 2s lipo as a comparative reference, what wheelspeed will I get from the CM 13turn on 3s lipo?
(Assuming the same gearing 87/20?)
Just curious about this before I place the order.
Thanks.

2s vs 3s you will be faster with the CM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #537
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Ah, so the 60T must have the correct bolt pattern. Weird they wouldn't have the same on the 56T. Oh well, the Duratrax 56T does the trick.
Weird. I haven't bought their 56, only the 60.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #538
Pebble Pounder

Harely, jus a heads up bud. Cheers man for all the help u giv us man. Patients and understaning and willingness to help. Av a coldie on me bud

rc is no hobby its a disease
scoobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #539
RCC Addict

Little update, the pro 4 4000 is now shattering inner pinion gear bearings front and rear They were the kit bearings so I swapped in some avids. If they blow again it looks like I might try bushings or just buy the vanquish cases. No regrets, it's too much fun. My goal is to keep it alive until ECC

Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #540

which gear also what pitch are these? TowerHobbies.com | 147 Kimbrough Differential Gear 48P 84T or TowerHobbies.com | 312 Kimbrough Slipper Gear 84T B4/T4/SC10
kg4ujd is offline   Reply With Quote