Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #441
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNASTY View Post
Great thread for motor/esc stuff, maybe too good. My eyes are spinning.
I just cooked my stock motor, I'm looking to crawl mostly with some bashing/donuts etc... I'm gonna keep the stock esc for now, I'm looking at the HH 13t CM or a 27t TM. Any preferences?
Also looking to regear spur and linking???
Any help is appreciated!
13t is just smoother, 27 is very comparable.

Gearing is up to you. Don't gear higher it's hard enough on the motor as is.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #442

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

I'm a total noob and my head is spinning from reading this thread......

I NEED a new motor (fried the 35T one I currently have).

I'm running 3s with a MMP......mainly crawling but want good wheel speed to.......which motor do you suggest? Should I just go with what you have in post 3? or has something better come out since?

thanks for any help

Jeff
bmfntoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #443
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfntoy View Post
I'm a total noob and my head is spinning from reading this thread......

I NEED a new motor (fried the 35T one I currently have).

I'm running 3s with a MMP......mainly crawling but want good wheel speed to.......which motor do you suggest? Should I just go with what you have in post 3? or has something better come out since?

thanks for any help

Jeff
It's up to date. If you're burning up a 35 I probably wouldn't suggest anything faster. 35's are usually pretty hard to burn up.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
13t is just smoother, 27 is very comparable.

Gearing is up to you. Don't gear higher it's hard enough on the motor as is.
Thx for sharing your knowledge!
One last question (yeah right), HH recommends 16t/84t for a final drive ratio a bit over 5.0 to help the motor live longer...but what pitch do I want?
FDR makes sense to me in relation to 1:1 R&P, but gear pitch doesn't.
Does a certain pitch # mesh better or take a load better?
Again, thanks for the help....
BIGNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #445
Quarry Creeper

Just about to place my order with RPP Hobby and would like some advice on which pinion gear to order. I saw where some change to 32 pitch so what spur gear do I need also.

MMP esc
Tekin 13.5 redline motor
tinycrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #446
Rock Crawler

In 32p, I'm going to start with 60/14 on 3S with a brushed 27T. Seems to be the typical starting point.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #447
Rock Stacker

Just ordered my MMP and Tekin 13.5, will post up with opinion after I get it installed. Also 21, 25 and 28t pinion gears to try . . . not to mention about $300+ in upgraded drivetrain parts to try to keep the thing moving after the new power.
sniper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #448

Figured I would Share my experiences with My wraith and my various Motor
ESC Combos.

Out of the Box Stock.
If you do any sort of crawling for an extended period of time your motor will get hot. If you run it on a 3s Lipo and try and crawl or run under stress (Sand, Sawdust piles) for any medium amount of time you will smoke the motor. Mine lasted a few days.
Replaced with a cheap silver can as my LHS was out of any good alternatives. And re-geared to 20/87. Smoked that one in a few outings as well.

Ordered a Traxxas titan 550 21turn reverse rotation motor (PN# 3975R) as it has more torque and is designed for 14.4 volts which is less than my 11.1v 3s LiPo pack. For $15 I figured what the heck worth a shot.

While the 550 was on order, My LHS had gotten in a Holmes Hobbies 35T in stock and assured me I wasn't going to burn it up on a 3s Lipo. Ya know what... They were RIGHT!!

With the 20/87 Gearing and Holmes 35T on 3s 5600mah Pack I was getting about a 2hr Run time. (No Joke!) Top Speed was about 80% of stock but torque and crawl ability was amazing!!! Also temps were way down. Nothing felt hot ever.

I liked my Holmes Hobby one so Much I gave my friend the Traxxas titan 550 one when it arrived still new in the package. He smoked the stock motor in his wraith too and was in need of a replacement. I should follow-up with him and see if it is still running.

Sadly Last trip out I was playing in a shallow creek and got my stock ESC a bit too wet and cooked it. (I was planning on waterproofing the Stock ESC but never got around to it before frying it... )

Since I was in the market for a New ESC and I wanted it to be waterproof out of the box I narrowed it down to the Traxxas or the Venom ones. (Yes I know other ESCs can be made to be waterproof) I went with the Traxxas VXL-3s as it supports all motor types (brushless / brushed), Battery types (LiPo and Non-Lipo), and is water proof and for $150 you get the ESC and a Motor for about half the cost of other non-waterproof brushless setups. (I live in Oregon and it is always raining!! ) After watching the YouTube videos of speedweigands wraith with the VXL system I took the plunge.

I installed it last night and got to take it out briefly. I geared it to 16/87 as recommended in speedweigand videos. (Note: diff cover doesn't fit as the shaft on the traxxas motor is too long and could be cut down. ) Also needed to buy a 12" servo extension as the plug that goes into the receiver on the Traxxas ESC is pretty short. Also had to grind / cut away some plastic to get the 550 sized VXL Motor to fit.

The 2S lipo pack is the way to go on this setup. Training mode is perfect for crawling and is the same speed as running the Holmes 35T (geared 20/87 on a 3s Lipo) which is slower than stock.

Full power on a 2S Lipo with this VXL setup is defiantly 1.5X - 2X faster than stock. (Even with it being geared lower than stock, 16/87 vs 20/80)

I popped the 3s LiPo in and tried it out. Under full power I can see myself breaking parts pretty easily. it is fast!... (But nowhere near as "Stupid fast" as my Slash VXL on a 2s or 3s Lipo! )
I switched over to training mode with the 3s Pack and it is more like the 2s pack at full power. I tried crawling on some rocks in this config but it would error out when trying to move this slow on a 3s Pack. nothing got hot and the battery was full so not sure what was happening. Did it a couple of times.

I would say Crawling is only good with the 2s pack in training mode. The downsides is that going form forward to reverse when you are at the point of flipping over backwards it has a 1 second delay with this ESC. Also it does have a "very small" amount of cogging when first starting out in a crawling situation. I would say it is a non-issue. You only seem to notice it when you are looking for it. I can still crawl all the same stuff I did before with the Homes 35T. The Holmes was just a smidge smoother at it, at super low speed. (talking about the point from a dead stop to the tires barely starting to move). Also not having the drag brake kinda sucks for crawling but is great for bashing!! But you can easily compensate with a little throttle control. Not really an issue for playing around.

For a $150 I feel it is a good all around waterproof brushless setup for playing in the woods and still being more than able to crawl in natural terrain. I wouldn't enter this setup into any comp crawls but then again the wraith isn't really a comp crawler. Seems to be a good scaler / rock racer that happens to crawl really well. (especially if you move the battery to the front, lower the suspension, mount the top of the shocks to the most inward position, and toss on a set of weighted crawler tires.) I've been able to go 85% of the places my friends comp crawlers go.

Regards!
Pnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #449
RCC Addict

Well for the hell of it I just tryed a 17T and 54/14 that equals 3.89 and It runs pretty good but it got hot fast, so I'm going to try a 60/14 and see what happens thats the only other spur I have for now and I don't have any other pinions in 32P. Well the 60/14 still got hot so, on to maybe another motor esc combo. I really like to 13T BRXL esc combo with the 54/14 but I'm going to find a faster set up for just speed runs and not crawling. I know most everyone doesn't like the VXL but I'm wonder if I set down the EPA how it would work with not getting full power.

Last edited by The Doc; 02-18-2012 at 10:46 PM.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #450
RCC Addict

After reading all the posts, I'm thinking of trying the mmp and the pro4 3300, can anyone tell me how it compares to the HH 13T on low end. And has anyone put the mmp into a water proof box, does it get to hot. And now... after reading all of this I forgot what gearing works good. Please dont make me it all again I have a 54 and a 60 spur and a 14 pinion.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #451
RCC Addict

Well since nobody else has spoke up about it I will. Running mamba max pro Tekin pro 4 4000 3 cell lipo 56 spur and 13 pinion. First impressions, not fast enough to much torque. Exploded stock shafts in about 30 seconds I knew that was gonna happen, but just had to do it So round two tomorrow, mip shafts and a 15 tooth pinion. I do love this sweet ass motor for sure.

Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #452
Pebble Pounder

wow...23 pages and my brain just exploded. On the upside, it did help me decide on a 27t to replace my stocker. Harley...you're awesome.
94smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #453
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Farmer View Post
Well since nobody else has spoke up about it I will. Running mamba max pro Tekin pro 4 4000 3 cell lipo 56 spur and 13 pinion. First impressions, not fast enough to much torque. Exploded stock shafts in about 30 seconds I knew that was gonna happen, but just had to do it So round two tomorrow, mip shafts and a 15 tooth pinion. I do love this sweet ass motor for sure.

Later,
Farmer
I was wonder the same, no one has and info? Thanks Famer. What other motor would you rate its speed to with your set up now. Please let me know how the 15t goes. I really want to know how the speed is and how it crawls. I want to see how it holds on steep hills

Thanks.

Last edited by The Doc; 02-21-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #454
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I was wonder the same, no one has and info? Thanks Famer. What other motor would you rate its speed to with your set up now. Please let me know how the 15t goes. I really want to know how the speed is and how it crawls. I want to see how it holds on steep hills

Thanks.
Last I talked to Farmer he was looking for a real go-fast basher type. So when he says not fast enough you may want to put that in perspective of what it means to different people. 3300KV is going to be fast enough to e pretty much uncontrolable in the Wraith, but I know some of you guys are a little crazy like that...
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #455
RCC Addict

Quote:
Last I talked to Farmer he was looking for a real go-fast basher type. So when he says not fast enough you may want to put that in perspective of what it means to different people. 3300KV is going to be fast enough to e pretty much uncontrolable in the Wraith, but I know some of you guys are a little crazy like that...
What he said This rig by no means is a crawler more like a balls out Tim Cameron buggy. I want this thing to leave the ground while going up hill Got some snow today so it won't be getting tested, still need to order that corrosion x stuff. Will update my finding with the 15 tooth pinion very soon.

Later,
Farmer
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #456
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Farmer View Post
What he said This rig by no means is a crawler more like a balls out Tim Cameron buggy. I want this thing to leave the ground while going up hill Got some snow today so it won't be getting tested, still need to order that corrosion x stuff. Will update my finding with the 15 tooth pinion very soon.

Later,
Farmer
I run 15/56 w/ the 3300kv and it is a great balance for all around bashing.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #457
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
I run 15/56 w/ the 3300kv and it is a great balance for all around bashing.
Good to know buddy I need this snow to leave or go to the track

Later,
Farmer
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #458
RCC Addict

Ok, if I'm reading betwwen the lines is the 3300 would be more for bashing than and all around rig ? I love the 13t/BRXL but would like something a little faster on top end and would like it to be brushless for when I'm not going to play in the water and when I go to the desert. Alot seem to like the 3300 but I think like said, they like to hall ass on top end. I dont want to be just tearing it up every time I go out. I do have all metal in the trans and CVD's though.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #459
20K Club

The Pro4 is big power. It will break parts. You need a beefed drivetrain. There are no CVD's out right now that will hold the power. Axial universals are your best bet right now.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #460
RCC Addict

Quote:
The Pro4 is big power. It will break parts. You need a beefed drivetrain. There are no CVD's out right now that will hold the power. Axial universals are your best bet right now.
I have the Axials in front and I have MIPs for the driveshafts. Do you think that even with a light finger and comon sence you could drive it or just stay away totally.