Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #21
Suck it up!

Default Re: Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
But you shouldn't have to buy those parts for an advertised RTR Truck.
Then don't buy one. Clearly it was a poor choice to use plastic hubs, but it is what it is.

BTW: I've had to buy parts for every rtr I've ever owned. Rtr means ready to run out of the box, not ready to meet or exceed everyone's personal quality standards.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I am on the fence what to do with this thing. I really do want to love it. I have had it on pre-order since the day they were announced. Hex's and hubs are only a $40 upgrade if they work with the stock wheels. Add $180 if I want to put better wheels on it as well. Then will have to upgrade front universal axles, ect.

I also understand that part of this niche is upgrading your rig. Hell I have built several crawlers over the years myself. But I was really hoping I would be able to enjoy this truck for a little bit out of the box. I knew ahead of time I would be upgrading some stuff on it like I did my wraith.

My other big concern is the motor mount. I like the cam system to adjust mesh, just wish the lower motor mount piece would have been at least cast aluminum. I know the aftermarket will have something for it soon I am sure though.

From the standpoint of someone new to the hobby though who walked into the LHS and walked out with this truck, I would be upset with it for sure though. Makes it hard to keep people in the hobby when they have a bad experience like I feel I had with it. My neighbor who is new to the hobby having only driven my Pede 4x4 said "I know what truck NOT to buy now... and you spent how much on it?!" It was actually kind of embarrassing showing off my new truck I was all proud of just to have it fall apart in front of him running around in the grass and dirt driveway. Axial knows better. Hobbico knows better. Yet this is what they put out?!
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Then don't buy one. Clearly it was a poor choice to use plastic hubs, but it is what it is.

BTW: I've had to buy parts for every rtr I've ever owned. Rtr means ready to run out of the box, not ready to meet or exceed everyone's personal quality standards.
Well tell Axial that, because they must think RTR stands for Ready To Replace.

I am going to keep comparing it to Traxxas because they are THE kings of RTR. I have had 5-6 Traxxas RTR's myself, and have had countless friends and family member buy them. All have had great experiences with them out of the box for months and months without needing to replace anything.

Like I said in a post above, I am throwing out my opinion on the Yeti from the standpoint of someone new to the hobby as it is a RTR vehicle and there's going to be a large amount of newcomers to the hobby that will be buying one I am sure, hence why they released it as an RTR not a kit. Defend it all you will, but it is what it is. It wouldn't have taken much more for them to include the 12mm hex's and set it up that way over the pin drive hubs. I mean you're talking about a brushless truck, 3S capable, with a locked rear axle. Common sense says that's not a good idea.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

I think your reaction is reasonable. But you gotta wear a flame proof suit if you piss on a Yeti around here.

The price may seem high but what can you really get with that $$$? So far every USED RC I've bought has eventually cost me at least that much to get set up correctly. My research soon showed me I could not build a "Yeti" for less and it would not be as well engineered...more like a Franken-Yeti. I like the whole idea of U4/Yeti type rigs but I had a feeling that once the hype died down there would be less YAY! and more Hmmmm? and that's the kind of reality check I need before making a purchase.

I appreciate you being harsh and critical. That's what we need on new products. We've already had the cheerleaders whipping up enthusiasm pre-release. Now it's time for guys that didn't get special treatment to tell us what they really think about it. Thanks!
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I pre-ordered the rtr, even prepared for parts that would/could break, because there was no kit available and i wanted one now.

I'm not saying your impression was all bad. Like some here, i also appreciate you telling us your bad experience with the yeti, makes us more prepared and know what to do to maybe prevent what happened with your yeti.
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #26
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
Well tell Axial that, because they must think RTR stands for Ready To Replace.

I am going to keep comparing it to Traxxas because they are THE kings of RTR. I have had 5-6 Traxxas RTR's myself, and have had countless friends and family member buy them. All have had great experiences with them out of the box for months and months without needing to replace anything.

Like I said in a post above, I am throwing out my opinion on the Yeti from the standpoint of someone new to the hobby as it is a RTR vehicle and there's going to be a large amount of newcomers to the hobby that will be buying one I am sure, hence why they released it as an RTR not a kit. Defend it all you will, but it is what it is. It wouldn't have taken much more for them to include the 12mm hex's and set it up that way over the pin drive hubs. I mean you're talking about a brushless truck, 3S capable, with a locked rear axle. Common sense says that's not a good idea.
I agree about Traxxas, nobody compares to them when it comes to rtr rigs. And, since they seemingly stand alone in that respect, you really can't fairly compare anyone else to them when it comes to rtrs.

Every new rig I've owned that wasn't a Traxxas has needed a couple parts or tweaks here and there to make them dependable, be they Axials, HPIs, Associates, Losis, or Ofnas. That is just part of the hobby. If you can't accept that, then stick to Traxxas stuff.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:

It is a poor choice and as consumers we deserve better from these manufacturers.
All the time we keep accepting these inferior products nothing will change.
(TF2 plastic Driveshafts spring to mind)

So Axial don't advertise it as a RTR Rock Racer when the Rear wheels will obviously fall off!!

If Axial had actually stepped back and thought about the design a little more they wouldn't have had half these problems.
They knew that the Rear needed a wider offset to accomodate and equal the Exo front parts.
You would have thought that the Back Wheels would have been produced with a wider offset. Not bolt a plastic on a set of fronts bit on and hope for the best!!

Poor.

On a plus note If I was Vanquish i'd be rubbing my hands with glee.
It's a good job they actually make Hubs or Axial really would be in the Sh;t!!!

Last edited by Dready; 08-30-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #28
Suck it up!

Having two pairs of beadlock wheels with different offsets would have increased production costs and ultimately our purchase price. It would also cause even more whining because most aftermarket wheel manufacturers only offer wheels in one offset, so you would have to buy hubs anyway if you found the stock units lacking.

If soft hubs and loose grub screws are that much of a deal breaker, then back out and move on to something more worthy of your time and money.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #29
Scale Detail Engineering

I still don't see this thing in the classified...
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Having two pairs of beadlock wheels with different offsets would have increased production costs and ultimately our purchase price. It would also cause even more whining because most aftermarket wheel manufacturers only offer wheels in one offset, so you would have to buy hubs anyway if you found the stock units lacking.

If soft hubs and loose grub screws are that much of a deal breaker, then back out and move on to something more worthy of your time and money.

So what your saying is we should accept inferior products?

How would you feel if you brought a new 1-1 Ford, Toyota, Dodge Chevy whatever.

Upon leaving the dealership 2 miles down the road the wheel hub falls off.

Pay for the new parts yourself! Yes off course you would.

Not

Last edited by Dready; 08-30-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Perhaps your Yeti should have come with cheese to go with your........

My Yeti is holding up fine.
deerco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I ran and placed third in the first U4RC 2.2 Comp Open main with a totally stock Yeti. That's 18 minutes of RACING through some extremely brutal stuff.

Then again I checked all the screws. The reason yours failed so fast is because you failed to do this, as described in the manual AND on Axial's blog.

But I always check and re-check screws on all of my rigs at regular intervals.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #33
Suck it up!

Quote:
So what your saying is we should accept inferior products?

How would you feel if you brought a new 1-1 Ford, Toyota, Dodge Chevy whatever.

Upon leaving the dealership 2 miles down the road the wheel hub falls off.

Pay for the new parts yourself! Yes off course you would.

Not
If I pay for a $60k vehicle with millions of dollars and decades worth of engineering and developement built into it, yes, I expect it to not fall apart.

If I pay $400 for a toy truck I do so with the understanding that it will have some shortcomings.

You really are making a huge case out of a minor issue.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #34
Web Wheeling

Mines already scratched! What a pos
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Rtr lol
Szczerba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Ready To Rebuild
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
If I pay for a $60k vehicle with millions of dollars and decades worth of engineering and developement built into it, yes, I expect it to not fall apart.

If I pay $400 for a toy truck I do so with the understanding that it will have some shortcomings.

You really are making a huge case out of a minor issue.

Thats what I thought, but glad you agree with me that the truck is flawed.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #38
Suck it up!

Quote:
Thats what I thought, but glad you agree with me that the truck is flawed.
I've already mentioned (twice) that the hubs seem like they would be a weak point. Not sure what you think you think you've tricked me into saying...
Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
I've already mentioned (twice) that the hubs seem like they would be a weak point. Not sure what you think you think you've tricked me into saying...

I've not tricked you into anything.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

I think he has a right to post a negative post if this has happened to him. I still think having to replace the hubs the first day of owning a RTR is stupid and should be fixed by AXIAL ASAP. It's bad business ethics to ignore bad parts on a truck everyone here bought as a ready to run. If I was the CEO of axial you better believe everyone who purchased the Yeti already would be receiving better quality hubs ASAP in the mail.

If your too scared or too dumb to stand up for what you believe is right then I really feel sorry for you. Quit living in denial, Everyone here works for their hard earn money and should get a ready to run truck out of the box.

I completely agree with Dready, if you went out and bought a brand new ford or whatever brand you prefer and they did not come with warranty's would you be happy to be changing the hubs on it 5 miles down the road or if your wheels fell off going 50 MPH?
impulse2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
water yeti.. calling all yeti owners going2fast Axial Yeti 11 11-02-2014 05:43 PM
Wait for a Yeti or get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate today? BIGNASTY Chit Chat 19 08-30-2014 10:54 PM
Yeti captured today im gunna crawl Axial Yeti 4 08-28-2014 08:58 PM
I drove a Yeti today. Dirt51 Axial Yeti 1 07-12-2014 08:15 PM