Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

I drove one on Friday.... meh! For as awesome as the suspension looks I would have expected it to handle better on just a plain flat dirt road that it did, but im sure that can be tuned pretty easily with shock adjustments. This rig was out of the box and im willing to bet had not had the fasteners gone through and checked.

It's a really nice idea just like any other Axial vehicle that has ever been released. It just needs a lot of tuning and parts to make it perform. That's what makes this hobby fun, nobody got into it to save money.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Rob, hope things turn around for ya.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #82

Thanks for posting you're experience with the new yeti, I'm exactly the rc noob these guys are flaming you for being. But I have been doing allot of research and this thread is the first I've heard of loctite on the set screws in the drive shafts, or the flex in the motor mount. I also knew I was going to eventually change out the hubs for vanquish aluminum, but didn't realize it was practically undriveable out of the box and that is a huge disappointment.

Duuuuuuuude should just change his name to Douuuuuuuuche cause that's a better description of how he acts.
r6chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6chase View Post
this thread is the first I've heard of loctite on the set screws in the drive shafts
It's a must to secure screws into metal, otherwise they will come out at some point.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #84
Come and take them!®

Quote:
Duuuuuuuude should just change his name to Douuuuuuuuche cause that's a better description of how he acts.
I see you are new here.

I can tell by your post count.
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

i hate to say it but i agree with most of what is said here, which as far as i have read can be boiled down to 2 main points.

-should a "rtr" be good to go out of the box, yes

-do i understand they need attention before you run them, yes

but i did preorder a truck on the description alone back in june and the details that were delivered are what piss me off. after 3 "shipping" delays this truck has a few "glitches" that just dont need to be. i ordered an ifs wraith/solid axle exo, i got an expensive knockoff of this theme that would be more acceptable if i ordered it from hobbyking or nitrorcx for 1/2 the money. you simply should get what you pay for and if it says AXIAL on the box and has the high dollar pricetag, it should perform as such. i didnt buy an exceed so i dont accept the quality of what i got quietly.

how many of the ones defending the mighty axial actually plunked down their money and have one of these fine units? jeebus, the tires alone are freaking laughable, i would rather have ripsaws that work than these plastic bfg pattern "tires"(i use that term loosely)

anyone who is interested in one can give me what i paid and ill ship it today
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Man all this over plastic an pins
Rok Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #87
Suck it up!

Quote:
Thanks for posting you're experience with the new yeti, I'm exactly the rc noob these guys are flaming you for being. But I have been doing allot of research and this thread is the first I've heard of loctite on the set screws in the drive shafts...
Any metal ended driveshaft should have loctite on the hardware. Any brand, any rig, aftermarket or OEM. If you are new to the game, not knowing that is understandable. If you aren't new, skipping that important point is a failure on your part.

Quote:
or the flex in the motor mount.
Pushing on the non-business end of a motor means nothing. This isn't the first rig to use plastic motor mounts.

Quote:
I also knew I was going to eventually change out the hubs for vanquish aluminum, but didn't realize it was practically undriveable out of the box and that is a huge disappointment.
Undrivable is an overstatement.

Quote:
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #88
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
how many of the ones defending the mighty axial actually plunked down their money and have one of these fine units? jeebus, the tires alone are freaking laughable, i would rather have ripsaws that work than these plastic bfg pattern "tires"(i use that term loosely)
by-the-by, I'm not defending Axial. I'm rallying against pouty lipped people demanding perfection at an reasonable price point.

I've never owned a rig made by anyone that didn't require a bit of work to get it where I wanted it. Such is life. You deal with it and you move on. If it seems like it isn't worth the effort, drop it and go live your life. People think they should be respected for running to the internet with a dirty diaper and a bone to pick. Life doesn't work like that, and it drives me up the wall.

And I kind of like the hard BFGs. Sometimes not having awesome traction is fun.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 08-31-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

so you have one?...
and you like hard compound tires because you would rather have no traction...

dude, im not pouty. i just waited a hell of a long time to get let down by crap build quality and shoddy parts.
i dont know how others problems are affecting their trucks, but mine broke half way thru a 2s pack (busted teeth on an internal trans gear) and im kinda pissed about it right now, and it seems there are a hell of a lot of guys who are having issues with this truck

Last edited by stevem50; 08-31-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #90
Suck it up!

Quote:
so you have one?...
and you like hard compound tires because you would rather have no traction...

dude, im not pouty. i just waited a hell of a long time to get let down by crap build quality and shoddy parts
Preordered through RPP, so I've got to wait a bit longer. Note that I'm only speaking on particular points that are already widely known or can be sussed out with a bit of common sense...

Sometimes I do, yes. I've got a set on hand that I run on my Wraith from time to time just for funsies. A little tread cutting will soften them up a bit btw.

The only shoddy parts that are commonly commented on are the plastic hubs (which I am not particularly thrilled about, but they aren't a deal breaker) and a seemingly overly soft servo saver. I suppose you could toss in beadlocks that don't hold super well if you want. Lost screws are just part of the rc experience, so that isn't even a factor IMO.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Dooouucchhhé might like not having traction but I would have preferred the rip saws especially in r35. For all the flamers in this thread, there's been other new threads posted where people are having problems, different problems as well. No need for one mans experience to take up 5 pages just because some people are offended lol

Should also mention some of the people who are getting sensitive do not yet own the rig

Last edited by SoCal Crawlr; 08-31-2014 at 07:30 PM.
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #92
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
Dooouucchhhé might like not having traction but I would have preferred the rip saws especially in r35.
Old trails take on new life when you have less than optimal footing.

Quote:
For all the flamers in this thread, there's been other new threads posted where people are having problems, different problems as well. No need for one mans experience to take up 5 pages just because some people are offended lol
Lost grub screws and blown hubs are not in the same ballpark as possibly blown transmissions. That does indeed suck and I hope it is an isolated incident.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

i actually havent had enough run time to have any problems with any of that... i got 15-20min into my first pack and took some teeth off a trans gear. i cant say i care too much about the plastic bits, wheels are getting trashed for methods, servo is going in the bin for a 400oz replacement, and servo savers are for 20 year old tamiyas... but when im running an underpowered battery to break in the new rig, only to find its too much power for the trans and tires, i want to sell it. you want mine, its all yours, i have an ascender in my shopping cart at rpp i need to pay for... haha

i agree the entry level wear-able plastic items catch a lot of bitching here on the interweb, but they arent my problem. a busted trans that is supposed to have metal gears in it is
Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #94
Suck it up!

Quote:
i actually havent had enough run time to have any problems with any of that... i got 15-20min into my first pack and took some teeth off a trans gear. i cant say i care too much about the plastic bits, wheels are getting trashed for methods, servo is going in the bin for a 400oz replacement, and servo savers are for 20 year old tamiyas... but when im running an underpowered battery to break in the new rig, only to find its too much power for the trans and tires, i want to sell it. you want mine, its all yours, i have an ascender in my shopping cart at rpp i need to pay for... haha

i agree the entry level wear-able plastic items catch a lot of bitching here on the interweb, but they arent my problem. a busted trans that is supposed to have metal gears in it is
A perfectly understandable reason to be upset. Going to post pics of the carnage?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Fortunate you have all those upgrades to replace stock parts! Method wheels, servo, must be a couple extra hundred into it. Now you're at a $600 rtr, that is blowing the trans on stock power with 2s... That may be a problem

And to all you people who have been talking big about buying these rigs that people are having problems with, now you can put your money where your mouth is...you know who you are
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
A perfectly understandable reason to be upset. Going to post pics of the carnage?

Wheel nuts loosen with use. I have had wheel nuts loosen on every single rig I own. Combine that with a plastic hub and it will fail.

If you think you can bash through a whole 5000 pack without checking them, you are asking for problems.

I too would imagine that the trans will probably be warrantied. Yeah, it does suck to have that happen but I have not heard of anyone else having the issue so it is likely an isolated one.

Say what you want because I have a press release one, I have for about a month, I only started upgrading last week. 2 striped stock hexes are the only failures and I have beat the piss out of it. One stripped hex was my fault...see above.

Last edited by Rockpiledriver; 08-31-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

yeah... just as soon as i can take it apart without wanting to throw the damn thing. my tf2 is in about 4000000 pieces on my bench right now, so it gonna sit for a while. im gonna throw some alloy bits at it and also going to go 2 speed while its apart. now that there are a few more out there i can see whats working for other people.

on a sidenote.. has anybody tried the giant mickey ttc's from rc 4wd? 5.84" tall!?!? i have the pit rockbeast 2 on my wraith and love them,(i dont usually like big tires) but these have a decent tread and i dont have em' yet..

and another sidenote.. there are a couple of gearhead wheel designs i really would like for this rig, but the bolt circle is about 1-2mm off of the slw hub. i ground away the lug holes on 1 of my wheels last nite, but was getting too close to the hub center to really get it to fit right. anybody know if the other hubs out there are available in different bolt circles? all the ones ive seen are just measured in offset, ive never noticed bolt pattern measurement..

Last edited by stevem50; 08-31-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I've read everything on this thread and can understand some of the belly-aching but a plastic RTR is a plastic RTR, live with it & deal with it.

Your problem though sir is definitely shabby assembly. I took the tranny & T-case apart in mine today and greased everything up. The t-case has some HD 32p gears and fit nicely in the housing, but the tranny only has two smallish in diameter but wide 48p gears. and if they're not put together properly they can slide on the shafts very easily and not mesh if pins or e-clips were not installed properly.

Rather odd all that vacant space in the tranny housing but I assume that's where the two speed option is going.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #99
Suck it up!

I think the Shifts hubs can be bought blank if you ask at the right time. Why not redrill the wheels for different hubs?

edit: took a peek at my gearheads...drilling for a vp pattern puts the holes mighty close to the hub hole...

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 08-31-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I would have preferred the rip saws especially in r35.

Those were my exact words two minutes into driving it, or even some huge 2.2 pitbull rock beasts. The BFG's feel like those crappy IMEX brand tires.

And some CVD's in the front axle.

And beefier steering.

And a locked front axle.

And lights.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
water yeti.. calling all yeti owners going2fast Axial Yeti 11 11-02-2014 05:43 PM
Wait for a Yeti or get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate today? BIGNASTY Chit Chat 19 08-30-2014 10:54 PM
Yeti captured today im gunna crawl Axial Yeti 4 08-28-2014 08:58 PM
I drove a Yeti today. Dirt51 Axial Yeti 1 07-12-2014 08:15 PM